16B...How far in?

coryb

My app group and/or our friends have done 16B for the last 6 years. It seems like 90% of who we see are camping on the road and not back in. It's definitely the minority of vehicles that are just left at a trailhead with the hunters camped back in. It seems like very few of these guys would be going more than 2-3 miles in and out each day. We have always camped at the truck and hunted in the 1-5 miles out range both with and without horses. Who goes how far in both on foot and on horses and do you stay at the truck or packed in? I've always wondered what the least pressured distance range is if that is even something that can be deduced. I doubt anyone's plans and/or capabilities will be changed much by trying to uncover this data so I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Cory

You apply as a group,and you've drawn 6 times? In 16b?

You should be a regular at the lottery window....

Hank, did you draw anything?

On a recent post on bowsite on the same subject there were more people in about 6-7 miles than out in the 1 to 5 mile range. A big mistake for some whom killed bulls in that far and had to back pack them out.

We have found that if you get in over 7 miles you start to have much less pressure but we have stock. I pity the gung ho types whom get a bull way back in and either waste most of it or have hell getting enough help to back pack it. The Sept. arcerhy hunts are critical to getting meat out by the next day. Rifle hunts you can get by better.

Yeah Stoney I did....not 16b AGAIN...LOL. I'll call.
I concour with Stoneys assessment and have found the same is true. There are a whole lotta places to park besides at a couple trailheads too....if you know what I mean.

Same here Cory, I agree with Tom and Hank , I personally saw a whole spike bull go to waste because of this type of crap, live inside your means ?

We will definitely stay within our means. I own horses and will have them with us for game retrieval if we are lucky enough to need them. I'm just trying to find out how far others hunt or find lack of pressure. We tend to hunt on foot with the horses in camp at the truck. They are easier to handle inside fence panels with food and a water trough that requires no work. We may pack in a bit this year.

Cory

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom