16C Archery

riplip

To those who have hunted archery elk in 16C, is the hunt totally dependent on water and wallows? Most of the information I have found or read references sitting wallows and/or water holes which is not really my style of hunting. Anyone have success with spot and stalk and/or calling? Appreciate any feedback or help.

I’ve had this tag. I didn’t hunt water. I didn’t kill either lol but u can absolutely be effective calling and spotting and stalk

Thanks for the response. I certainly don't measure the success of a hunt on whether a took an animal (although its really nice when you do!). Did you hunt archery? First or second season? Did you find the unit to be overly crowded or difficult to access?

2nd season has a better chance of catching them bugling, if they aren't talking you will either need to find them on the tops or hunt water. The moon and weather will affect the hunt. New Moon Sep 17, 2020 this year!

It's a good hunt. 1st season the days can be very quite. Plenty of elk. Look into the eplus list and it will give you a idea of where to start hunting.

Thanks for the response. I certainly don't measure the success of a hunt on whether a took an animal (although its really nice when you do!). Did you hunt archery? First or second season? Did you find the unit to be overly crowded or difficult to access?
I had it when there were three seasons. I had the mid hunt 11-18. They were bugling most mornings. It is very remote. U will be 4-5 hrs minimum from cell and service and gas.

Why our state regressed from 3 season's to 2 is a mystery. I loved the 3 season approach. Bring it back please.

The grass is always greener.

We had 2. Then people started saying "if only we had more hunt choices it would spread out the hunters more". NMDGF noted that the average hunter only hunted a few days, so why provide nearly 2 weeks for each hunt?

So they went to 3. Then people started complaining "the people in 2nd season are in the woods scouting screwing up my first season, and so on", and "with only 5 days to hunt everyone hits the woods hard for the entire hunt, so it's solid hunters for 3 weeks". So NMDGF changed it back...

I had it when there were three seasons. I had the mid hunt 11-18. They were bugling most mornings. It is very remote. U will be 4-5 hrs minimum from cell and service and gas.
TorC is only 2 hours from Beaverhead and Winston is an hour away.
Yes, I recognize that Beaverhead is only one part of the unit, but it is the central part of the unit.

To those who have hunted archery elk in 16C, is the hunt totally dependent on water and wallows? Most of the information I have found or read references sitting wallows and/or water holes which is not really my style of hunting. Anyone have success with spot and stalk and/or calling? Appreciate any feedback or help.
I haven't hunted 16C in years, but back in the day had a string of like 11 tags in a row. I hunted it spot and stalk with moderate success, but I am a mediocre elk hunter at best. I would advise that knowing the where the reliable waters are will help you with spot and stalk. I used to work at Beaverhead and know the unit. There are elk in every corner of the unit.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom