16D water

12ring

16D archery has been my first choice every year for over 20 years. I have never drawn it. My hunting partners daughter (mid twenties) drew the first archery hunt this year.

Since I don’t have a elk tag, I’m going to help her for the first 4 days before heading into the wilderness for 5 days to help another friend. Then I’ll come out of the wilderness (dead tired) to help her the last 4 days of the hunt.

This past weekend I went into 16D to look around and see if the beginning of the monsoons had made any progress in there. 7 out of 8 tanks were dry. A couple had mud in them
The tank that had water was not in a ideal spot because it was next to a well traveled road. I don’t even know how that tank had water. Must be underground fed because it wasn’t in a draw to be fed by rain. It was on flat ground.

I’ll be making a few more trips in there to learn the unit better but I may wait a little and hope the monsoons do some work before I go.

Is it typical in D this time of year for it to be that dry? Do you think if we get a few hard rain storms, some of those tanks can fill up before the hunt?

No its not typical to be bone dry . NM is in dire need of rain . Yesterday in the Santa Fe area its brown , little bitty grass chutes are just starting to break out of the dirt and generally its pretty green by this time of year. Very poor winter with zero snow pack and rain seasons that just have not been consistent in dropping water that soaks into the earth . Its just not looking good right now in alot of NM ...need rain BAD!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom