16E access

dieseldog

Is the access to public land really as bad in 16E as i have heard from some people? Am looking for a new place to start elk hunting and am kind of looking at this unit. Anyone care to share a starter point or two? PM if you don't want to post it for everyone. thanks

Been there three differnt hunts and never had a problem. We were stopped at a dirt road intersection trying to descide which road to take when a rancher gave us directions. He said this road here to your left goes through my land to some public state land and on up to luera peak just shut the gate on the other side. Nice guy. I'd say theres a ton of access to 16E with only a copule of exceptions. 1. You can't camp on state land 2. Murphy's hole? I'm not sure of the name Murphy but you can't miss the signage. We were up there on a late season cow elk hunt and ran into two BFBEs! Last year I was on a smokepole hunt for deer and just about stepped on a badger. He didn't even see me 5 yrds away. Thought about shooting the bager but passed. Made me smile just to watch him that close.

When I was in it 2 years ago helping out a friend, you were allowed to cross the private ranches to access public. My undertanding though was the ranch owners were fighting this and wanted a change immediatly. I guess it has gone back and forth over the years. Good elk unit. We had lots of fun and saw a good number of elk.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom