16E NM

TFAvalanche

Hi y?all! I finally got lucky and drew a Bull Elk tag for 16E in NM. Absolutely stoked to have the opportunity this year on a hunt I've waited a long time for. Thought I'd share my good fortune for my first post here and ask if anyone has worked this unit before?

All the elk will be in 16D after that 1st early October hunt. Which hunt do you have? Got a friend that is going on that early October 5th hunt. I'll pass on any info if he shares.

A while back I hunted 16e with a muzzy. Hunted in from the south en of the unit. You had to go thru some gates to get access to it. Quad would be very useful. Parked at the bottom of the hill and took the quad up and over. To the west of this access was an area, if you had horses, you could park and take a trail back in. Allot of the elk are pushed back in. I recommend getting to a high spot and glass, then stalk. Saw bulls but not allot of them. Missed a real nice bull on my second day. Too far of a shot. Good luck

16E is what you make of it. Access isn't great, but there are some good bulls in there. If your hunting out of a camper.... good luck. I pack in in that unit and actually have the second archery tag this year but my wife drew a 16D this year so I'll be behind the calls for her this year. Biggest bull I've seen on the hoof was in E in a year with good moisture. I know where I'd be but with a gun they are out in the open in antelope country should be able to put a stalk on them no problem. I'd definitely go spend time to just figure out the roads and how to get around the unit. Private land owners have access to some of the best public land in the unit and they hunt it.... they can deny it but they hunt the ?extended ranch? we will call it. I wish there was a way NM could manage that more in that unit.

Took a drive up to the unit to poke around the access points I had scouted using OnX and old school google maps. Quite a lot of trails that looked great ended up being a dead end leaving a 6-8 mile hike into areas I had wanted to see. Everything I read about 16E access was spot on, it doesn't really exist. Contacted NMGF and spoke with the officer for the area and he was a great help with some lingering questions. I was able to get into some outlying country on the far western edge to stretch my legs after the drive and spotted some great looking bulls. Hopefully the archery guys had a great season this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted the hell out of that during the first archery hunt. There isn't any water in there and therefore very few elk. We saw 1 bull and 15 hunters not a good ratio.

Also biggest bull we saw was just off (about half a mile from the road) the nasty road in Luera just below the power line that runs to the top of the south Luera peak and everyone was driving right past them.

It was very dry for the first archery. There is a square of private that bathtub runs into from the east to the west ,and on that private there's a tank that always hold water you gotta get them crossing back n forth. For your hunt they'll be sounding off, you just gotta locate them and kill one. Good luck!

Thanks for all the help and advice, all of it is greatly appreciated. Got my hands full for this one but I wouldn't have it any other way!

505812e5ae0bb93de428197702f353a7ea4ca.jpeg

Well all the range boxes are packed and zeroed confirmed... Night before leaving on a big hunt always requires a strong whiskey to get me to sleep. Hopefully I'll be back in a week with a monster to show off. Thanks to all those that helped with some advice and helpful insights to the area!

Well, the pain from the hunt just about wore off. So I guess I'm ready to talk about how it went out there. I had done some in person scouting of the camp area I wanted to be in for opening morning. My job did not get the memo however and I ended up not leaving for camp until well past 5pm. I finally arrived in the Magdalena area around 9pm and turned off the main road just after ten. I had saved all the GPS locations I had planned to use via ONX maps on my cell. For whatever reason when I lost service I was unable to use my off-line saved content. Thankfully I had been looking at my points via laptop all day and I had not closed it on the way up, the WI-FI in my truck had kept the map updated while I was driving and I had a high resolution map of the whole area. Using land nav techniques (Go Army!) with my brights and having scouted once before I was able to find camp where my buddy from Albuquerque was waiting. We had met up a few weeks prior when I was in town and I gave him a handheld and told him to turn it on starting at 1900 and do 30 min radio checks until I was within transmitting distance.

With it almost midnight at this point, I decided to just sleep in the truck and be up in a few hours to head out to the spot I had picked out. Unfortunately sleep did not find me, and all I could think about was all the other trucks I had passed on the way to my campsite.

We got up around 4am and James had the coffee on, so we started going over the laptop map of the days plan. We decided to head down a nearby finger and walk to a spot that would give us the advantage of what we hoped was a path for the Elk to travel from water and food to their beds. As we walked I heard a faint call and turned around and within 300 yards was an dark red 5x5, and a spike crossing behind us. We grabbed cover and watched for a bit. I decided to put a stalk on the 5x5 but could not cross the hundred yards of open field as the spike was off to my right and already jumpy. The rest of the morning was spent cactching glimpses of multiple bulls as they moved but I believe they were being pushed by other hunters from the other side of the mesa, as they were not at a fast trot through the area.

IMG_3588[1].JPG

Here's the first guy we put a stalk on, the spike is out of frame just to the right of the bush at the edge. He was about 260 from me at this point, and I was set on taking one at a hundred or less.

The next two days saw no activity except for some mule deer. We probably put almost 10 to 12 miles on a day throughout the unit. Unfortunately the third day we stalked out what looked like a great spot to glass and when we packed up we stumbled on an Elk carcass that had been quartered the night before. Public hunting can be rough.

Day 4 I woke up feeling half getting desperate and half excited. I was solo as James had to return to work, so I headed for a spot that I had scouted previously on foot . I set myself up on a rock outcropping, between a line of natural drift and a water source. As the sun came up I saw two bulls wandering on the canyon floor below me and when they split one headed opposite my way and the other straight towards. I ranged him initially at 500 plus, so I laid there and said every prayer I could think of while he closed the gap. He was a Gila monster, 6x7 from what I could count when he crossed the 300 mark through the binos. I ran through all my checks, primer set, hammer back, reviewed my range tables in my mind. I had planned on letting him get between 50 and a hundred and taking him whenever he profiled. As I watched him in my scope,he stopped at 220, ears turned up, and he was gone. I watched him run through the meadow and couldn't help but notice he was beautiful. I double checked everything... no wind change, nothing moved, no glint off the scope. His ears told me that he may have been spooked so I thought I would watch and see if a cat or bear came wandering out. 5 mins later, I heard the distinct jingle of horse tack and people laughing INCREDIBLY LOUD. I had somehow chosen my spot in the middle of some dude ranch's horseback tour of a real gen-u-wine box canyon like the Louie L'amour books talk about. I about shot the first horse. I walked past them and gave the lead horse rider the coldest stare I could and he mumbled somethin about public hunts and sorry mister... I got to camp and packed out a day early.

IMG_3598[1].JPG

This was the a portion of the rock outcropping I was laid up against. Sure is beautiful out there.

So... thats my 16E muzzy story.

Some things I learned about the unit, since I see a lot of questions but not a lot of answers.

1) There is NO phone access no matter your carrier, bring sat link if you want to communicate
2) There is a LOT of private land, knowing where you're at is invaluable due to some not-so-friendly landowners
3) RMEF is credited with opening up road access to Luera Peak, this is not a road, this a lava rock filled two track with a gate to access, your Chevy won't fit
4) Expect a decent stalking spot to be blown out by either a dude ranch tour or your neighbor and his kids on a side by side flying by on his way to his private spot
5) Magdalena is not that far during the day and they have gas and diesel, even a restaurant and bar. At night, its REALLY far away
6) I ran into a Game and Fish checkpoint on my way out, friendly guys and seemed geniunuely bummed I did not tag out. They do not mess around though and had a seized truck and trailer with a dead head being wrapped up. New Mexico law enforcement is tough on offenders, and helpful to law-abiding hunters.
7) All the tanks that I had researched were dry except for one and the area experienced greater than average rainfall in the summer and early fall.
8) A 16E tag is not the Gila Forest, at all. It is a large open prarie with two small mountain ranges in between

IMG_3590[1].JPG

like this. Badass Antelope though...
9) At the end of the day, you're still Elk hunting, so try and enjoy!

Like some have said water is slim in 16e. I was in there last season and it was 9 miles in before I found any water and that looked like water a horse wouldn’t drink but they didn’t have a choice.

16e is definitely the toughest of the 16 units. That being said you still have a chance at killing a good bull in there. We have takin hunters in the past and have had good success on the Northern end. I recommend a quad or side by side to access the roads. There are several wildlife drinkers that can catch some water with the past few rains we have had it is looking like they might have gotten some water. There are some major private lands that surround the state land but as the season goes on the bulls will be searching for wintering ground, so use maps to identify those areas that are secluded open hill sides that bulls will target after the rut. If you can spend some days scouting in there would definitely recommend because it is a unit where you can spend 5 days looking to get rid of other hunters.
hope that helps ,
Love of the hunt outfitters

All I will add to what others have said is get your legs and ankles in shape. It is by far the rockiest places I have ever hunted. You can roll an ankle in a heartbeat. Be safe and have a great hunt!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom