.17 Hornady

Z

ZAMGUY

What does anyone think of this little caliber? Just got a couple Scheels gift certificates for x-mas and thought of picking up a rifle in this caliber for fox, maybe some yotes, and overall just plinking with my 8 year old son. I know it's a light bullet, but I live in western Minnesota and our shots at fox and coyotes are rarely more than 100 yards. If we hunt further west we take the 22-250's, just thought it would be a fun little gun. Any thoughts out there??

I'm gonna get alot of grief over this, but it is NOT a coyote gun. Seems to be adequate for foxes. Just expect the coyotes to get back up. Very accurate.

JB

that little bullet is definitely not for coyote killing. my friend has the remington semi auto in .17hmr and me and him both wounded a couple coyotes in western oklahoma last year with it. had to switch to the big guns to get 'em to stay down. it's dynamite on rabbits, though.

Krusty.jpg

Try the 22 Hornet. Witin the range parameters you've mentioned it does a great job on yotes and has almost no recoil. Loaded with a 35 gr Hornady Vmax you'll get 3000-3100fps. Kills em fine and the pelt won't suffer.

BeanMan

Thanks for the information. My wife seen this and she thought I was losing my mind buying another gun. We were at Wal-Mart the week before x-mas and the sporting goods dept had some of their guns clearanced out. I ended up buying two Weatherby rifles for $150 each, one a 300 W Mag and the other a .270. And I got my little guy a youth model Winchester 20 ga. pump for $75, and all of these guns were brand new. A couple years ago I also got a single shot bolt .22 for $35 brand new and my kid has ran at least 3 bricks of shells through that thing. Granted the Weatherby's from wallyworld are not top of the line, but I bought those 3 guns for less than the price of one new one. It was being in the right place at the right time. Me and the little guy will go to Fargo tomorrow and snoop through the guns at Scheel's and see what we can find. The only reason my wife is giving me grief is because the gun safe she got me for x-mas last year is quickly running out of room. Again, thanks for the information, and wish me luck with the wife!

I really never cared if I got a 17 hmr then my dad went and bought me one (which is nice when you are a 24 year old newley wed, putting your wife through college) and I must say I love it I have seen 2 yotes shot with them just aim for the head, and it will stop them in their tracks, but I don't think any other gun could be funner for squirrel's, rabbits, fox, crows and magpie's, If it's a long shot I wouldn't use for yotes but the closer one's it works fine. It's an awesome gun to shoot, all my buddies went and picked one up after shooting mine.

Jake Sorensen

2 of my boys have .17's and both love em. i've shot them quite a bit, just plinking. fun gun too shoot. they haven't haven't had any problems with killing coyotes with. and besides, what wrong with a wounded coyote? let the bastards suffer some.

>and besides, what wrong with
>a wounded coyote? let
>the bastards suffer some.

yeah, when you put it in those words, it doesn't so bad anymore :)

Krusty.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom