17 NR ELK Points

Billinsd

I posted this in the Nevada forum, which is the same except that I have 17 points in Arizona. I'm 57 and getting a hip replacement in March. I'm still in pretty good shape. I can shoot a bow, muzzy, and rifle. I'd like a good opportunity at a 300 plus bull. Several opportunities in a hunt would be nice. I'll also hire a guide. I'd rather do a rifle, or muzzy hunt than archery. I'd like to dump my points in the next 5 or 6 years. Is it worth it to wait another 5 or 6 years? Since, I have 17 points here, maybe a bow hunt would be good, because I don't have enough for a muzzy or rifle?

I posted this in the Nevada forum, which is the same except that I have 17 points in Arizona. I'm 57 and getting a hip replacement in March. I'm still in pretty good shape. I can shoot a bow, muzzy, and rifle. I'd like a good opportunity at a 300 plus bull. Several opportunities in a hunt would be nice. I'll also hire a guide. I'd rather do a rifle, or muzzy hunt than archery. I'd like to dump my points in the next 5 or 6 years. Is it worth it to wait another 5 or 6 years? Since, I have 17 points here, maybe a bow hunt would be good, because I don't have enough for a muzzy or rifle?
Unit 1 Arizona archery or unit 27 archery. You will see bulls.

You are 4 or 5 points behind the ability to get an early rifle tag. So, If you are comfortable bow hunting I highly recommend that. You could draw several units in AZ with great early season hunts. If you go guided you'll have a realistic chance (or several) at a 340+ bull. I've done it twice and hope to again this fall (and I have less points than you do). Its just crazy hunting big bulls in the rut ! Good luck.

Thanks all!! BOHTR, I'm more competent with a rifle or muzzy. The issue with archery in the past for me has been the tremendous amount of patience it takes while hunting. I have, however, gotten more patient. I have not taken an assessment of my points and hunting Arizona Elk again.

3B muzzy hunt is something you may want to research. It's never rifle hunted (archery and muzzy only). Peak of the rut....starts the day after archery closes. I officially measured 3 bulls from the unit that were taken this past season. One NT that netted in the low 390's, a typical in the 360's and a solid 350" net bull. The giant that was in my field escaped the hunters this year.....if we get continued moisture, he'll be a giant again.

NR? I don't have nearly as many points as you, but because of the way the AZ draw works, my first choice is a tough-to-draw tag. My second is a more reasonable tag.

For NR's, up to 10% of the tags can be drawn. Half (5%) of those go in the Bonus round, which is to those with the highest points. The other half go into the pool for the 1-2 pass (first and second choice round) and can go to anyone, res or NR. Granted, your 17 points has a better chance for you to draw than my 5, but I've seen people post on here they drew awesome tags with only 1 or 2 points.

if you are willing to hire a guide, call a couple of the, and talk to them. You will have no problem getting on a bull you are looking for with that many points and a guide.

I am in nearly same boat. Going in with 18 non resident. Think I'm going to keep at a early rifle tag, even though it may take 6+yrs. I have been thinking hard about 27, 1, 3b, 3c. It would be a good year to go with the moisture AZ has been getting of late, Still could be dry this summer. Point saver for sure.

I hunted the late unit 1 hunt 3 years ago and killed a nice bull, but I went up there to scout while the archery was going on and the elk where screaming and I seen a lot of nice bulls and wish I had that tag at that point.. I live in utah now and have a lifetime hunting in arizona now and that unit 1 archery is my first choice every year now..

IMG_0318.jpeg

Might want to listen to Jay Scott's podcast about 1 and 27 with Jeff Lester of Hunt Hard before you apply for those. A 300 bull is capable in most if not all of the elk units here.

Last edited:
Second what BOHNTR said, having hunted the 3B archery last year. I found the 3B terrain mild compared to typical elk country found in other states. That may be something to consider after a hip replacement, given that you are able to recover in 6-months.

Second what BOHNTR said, having hunted the 3B archery last year. I found the 3B terrain mild compared to typical elk country found in other states. That may be something to consider after a hip replacement, given that you are able to recover in 6-months.

how was the hunt?

I am new to listening to podcast. I just looked up Jay Scott outdoors. Holy Cow! He has over 600 podcast, mostly on hunting the southwest. The pod cast mentioned above is from 2015.

It was a good hunt but I had some inside help to tune me in. I didn’t tag but it wasn’t the elks’ fault?

I had good opportunity at nice bulls and also had a friend calling for me. I just didn’t hold up my end. Good memories and had a ton of fun.?

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom