17B Mule Deer (Rifle)

TNTxhunting

Scouting throughout the coming weeks for late October Mule Deer and wanted to see if anyone could provide some insight. Not looking to trample anyone's honey hole but everyone keeps pointing towards Camp Wood and I'm expecting traffic to be high.

Are there any recommendations elsewhere within the 17B unit?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I researched this unit about 15 years ago and I heard the same even back then.....Camp Wood area. I never hunted the unit but am planning on archery hunting it next year. Maybe plan on hunting the outskirts of Camp Wood. Lots of pressure will push those deer out into harder to get to areas. I wish you luck.

TNTxhunting

It's refreshing to see positive feedback, being new to the forum I appreciate it. I'll be more than happy to return the favor and post an update with results and hopefully pictures of a successful harvest.

Wiszard

Long Time Member
It's refreshing to see positive feedback, being new to the forum I appreciate it. I'll be more than happy to return the favor and post an update with results and hopefully pictures of a successful harvest.
You are welcome. With me never being over that way, it would be nice to see how you do. How many points did you have to draw? I am assuming you are a non-resident. Rifle? Do you know how to pm? I'll send you one.

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
Don't have any advice or intel to offer, but welcome to the site.

Hope you read the fine print when you accepted MM terms and conditions. All new members must post kill pics along with GPS coordinates. :D :D

Ed

I hunted 17A for several years in the mid 80s to early 90s. Yes there we’re always a lot of hunters in the camp wood area on the A and B side but back the 17A would have around 800 tags if you can imagine that in such a small unit. The B side had 4-500. Even the with all those tags if you walked 1/2 mile from the road there weren’t many others. Used to be some toads, I hear they are making a comeback but haven’t been there in years.

TNTxhunting

I hunted 17A for several years in the mid 80s to early 90s. Yes there we’re always a lot of hunters in the camp wood area on the A and B side but back the 17A would have around 800 tags if you can imagine that in such a small unit. The B side had 4-500. Even the with all those tags if you walked 1/2 mile from the road there weren’t many others. Used to be some toads, I hear they are making a comeback but haven’t been there in years.
Thank you so much for the positive feedback! I'll let you know if they are still in there along with (hopefully) pictures of a successful hunt and harvest!

TNTxhunting

Three does first day and javalena, the area is thick and the monsoon has weathered out much of the dirt roads. It's getting plenty of water, that's for sure.

124.jpeg

120.jpeg

TNTxhunting

*UPDATE* Further scouting to be done this weekend and next. The more time spent e-scouting/walking the unit, the better acquainted with access and glassing points. Fingers crossed we run into something with antlers this go-around!

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
Good luck! And when you get there, go ahead and roll around in the cactus. That way when you're belly crawling to get a closer shot, you'll be used to them!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Chappell Guide Service

We hunt the best areas for Trophy Class Bulls. Quality rather than quantity is always our goal.

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Dieringer Outfitters

We offer guided hunts for elk, mule deer, coues whitetail, bighorn sheep, antelope, and mountain lions.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Wilderness Expeditions

Specializing in quality, long duration trophy hunts. All-inclusive rifle, archery or muzzleloader.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Top Bottom