1895 winchester 30.06

Longun

Long Time Member
I am looking for a saddle gun with some punch and distance with it. I will pay the price of its value as long as the barrel isn't shot out. I want only the 1895 lever action Winchester in 30.06 not a 30-40 Krag. Thanks

hit the gun shows. but take a big wad o' hundreds with ya. they are getting pricey. browning makes it again and they make a model that isn't real fancy. can't remember if they make it in '06 or not. winchester even made again em for awhile, some years back. seems like they were real pricey. if you want one to hunt with, i'd look at the new ones. the old ones are real expensive it may be hard to find one in decent shape. check out browning and winchesters web sites and see what they have. browning even made the '71 again. it's a variation of the 1886 just made in .348 winchester. browning also offers it's BLR in the '06. it's a slick rifle for somebody that needs a lever gun.

RLH,
Thanks for the info. I found about a dozen on the internet and like you say they are pricey. The best new one I could find was 800.00, but I found an original with 90% blueing for 1400.00. Can't wait till it gets here.

be careful in ammo selection. they aren't as strong as a bolt action. may want to go with lighter bullets and loads than you normally would with a bolt action. seems like the older hornady books have a load section just for the 1895 in '06. i have a couple old .95's. a .30/40 and an '06 military carbine. both have spent a lot of time in the saddle. my ol' man packed the carbine for years. great old guns. have fun with yours. what are you going to use it for primarily?

I talked with the gun dealer yesterday, he said the same thing.
I won't reload for it and was thinking of using winchester factory 180 grain ammo for it. What do you think? I primarily will be packing it for a close range brush gun but just in case I get a long range shot(200 yds+) when a horseback, want something to reach out there. Deer and Elk is normally what I scout a horseback but this year I lucked out and got a Bull Moose tag.

i'd shoot a few and see how the action works. if it doesn't feel stiff or jam up, then you should be ok. i always shoot nothing but 165's out of any .30 cal i have. just my choice. but i haven't shot either '95 for years either. seems like the ammo i have for the '06 is either 150 or 125 gr. i just keep em both around because of sentiment.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom