feddoc

Long Time Member
dday.gif

My dad was an engineer (welder) and when they landed in England prior to the invasion he was assigned to help the British on the construction of the Mulberry Harbor that was used as a way to land men and material right after the initial invasion.

mulberry build.jpg

Remnants of the harbor exist to this day. I like to think of it as a memorial to dad.

mulberry.jpg

He also waded ashore on Utah beach. They met light resistance. They immediately headed to LA Harve, France to open up that harbor but the Germans had destroyed it. He was close to Berlin when the war ended.

My Grandfather lied about his age and joined the Navy @16 years old. Said he and his family were starving to death and he would at least have food, clothes and a place to sleep.
His first assignment out of Boot Camp was body recovery at Pearl Harbor. Then on to the Phillippines where he was the guy feeding the ammo to the anti - aircraft guns on a ship.
During a strafing run by the Japanese, shrapnel came across both arms, removing all of one anchor tattoo on his forearm, and most of the other. As a kid I thought it was so cool that I could feel the
shrapnel still in his arms.
He died @ 80 years old and was still strong as an OX.
Just a totally different mindset from that generation.

Just recalling what dad told me....

When the landing craft he was on dropped the gate in chest deep water dad told the guy running the boat to take it in a little closer. He told dad to either get out or go back with the boat, he didn't care, but that's as far as he was going. Dad jumped out.

Recently I found my Dads victory book from WW2 he was a tail gunner on the B-52 wish I knew how to put those pics up they are great.
Also found about 5 women's pics to Dad who weren't Mom. Guess he was a player in his day...LOL Mom's gone so his secrets are safe with me...

My uncle died on Juno Beach in the first hours . years before I was born but I did have the good fortune to grow up around my dad and his other brothers who all fought in the Pacific theater.

That generation is what we need now and they're nearly all gone. Ike, Reagan, Ford, Bush sr, give them the reins of power today and they'd straight this chit out fast. they knew what it meant to be a genuine patriot and to put the nation ahead of all else. but that type of leader is history and we're screwed.

My uncle died on Juno Beach in the first hours . years before I was born but I did have the good fortune to grow up around my dad and his other brothers who all fought in the Pacific theater.

That generation is what we need now and they're nearly all gone. Ike, Reagan, Ford, Bush sr, give them the reins of power today and they'd straight this chit out fast. they knew what it meant to be a genuine patriot and to put the nation ahead of all else. but that type of leader is history and we're screwed.
I hope you’re wrong.

I had the good fortune of being in the Phx airport when an Honor Flight departed the next gate.

They announced it over the PA when they started boarding, many of the old Veterans pushed in chairs by their elderly children or grandchildren.

I was the only 20 minute standing ovation I’ve ever seen in an airport. And of the HUNDREDS who shared the honor, there wasn’t a dry eye in the house.

I still have hope.??

Private Carlton W. Barrett
Unit: 18th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division.

Citation: For gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on 6 June 1944, in the vicinity of St. Laurent-sur-Mer, France. On the morning of D-day Pvt. Barrett, landing in the face of extremely heavy enemy fire, was forced to wade ashore through neck-deep water. Disregarding the personal danger, he returned to the surf again and again to assist his floundering comrades and save them from drowning. Refusing to remain pinned down by the intense barrage of small-arms and mortar fire poured at the landing points, Pvt. Barrett, working with fierce determination, saved many lives by carrying casualties to an evacuation boat Iying offshore. In addition to his assigned mission as guide, he carried dispatches the length of the fire-swept beach; he assisted the wounded; he calmed the shocked; he arose as a leader in the stress of the occasion. His coolness and his dauntless daring courage while constantly risking his life during a period of many hours had an inestimable effect on his comrades and is in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Army.
A real man he was.

My wife's Uncle was on the Philadelphia when it went down he was in the water for 4 days before he found room on a raft.
He was rescued and from that date forward never went on another boat or swimming....
He wouldn't talk about it much as he lost quite a few of his friends in the sinking.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom