1st or 2nd Antelope Hunt Choice

Zim

Very Active Member
Wanted to get opinions on picking between a first season pronghorn hunt or a rut hunt. I have a pile of pronghorn points in Oregon I will try to burn this year. These were accumulated as a residual of getting in their game decades ago for a Big 3 elk tag. I was finally able to draw that hunt last year, so now I want to exit their lottery system ASAP due to the low NR quota and yearly license donation. I have only done 4 DIY pronghorn hunts, all rifle, so my experience is limited. Optics are so so Vortex binoculars & Leupold scope. I can draw pretty much any NR pronghorn tag I want in Oregon. I got my unit picked. But I've been advised to do the 2nd hunt (8/26-9/3) due to the rut kicking in towards the last 5 days as opposed to getting first crack on the 1st hunt (8/15-8/23). Draw demand is slightly higher for the 1st hunt. Seeking some thoughts on this. I am 60 and at this point in my hunting I am generally a gambler. I have no problem going home with tag unfilled. So I want to strongly consider the 2nd hunt depending on my limitations. Any thoughts from experienced lope hunters? Thanks.

I think it is too late to apply this year. The deadline was May 15.
But if you can draw any unit as anon-resident, Hart Mountain is a good bet.

Yes I had my application in before the deadline, but I still have until Sunday to edit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom