1st Rifle unit 24

OH_jl84

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-19 AT 08:11AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-19 AT 08:07?AM (MST)

We will be leaving next Wednesday to head west for the 2nd time on Elk hunt...in 2017 we were unsuccessful but any who...how is the action around meeker area? Been reading it's been slow,still hot and dry many wildfires going on some are contained...any rut action? Buglin? Also be in 12 I believe Thanks Josh!

I have the same tag but will be hunting a little south of you. I haven't been to this area in about 8 years but I'm sure it will be a sh#tshiw with 5000 tags given out. Anyway I'm super excited to be going and hunting in the mountains for a week! We also leave Wednesday, hopefully be in camp by Thursday afternoon. Raghorns beware!!!!

Well I actually have a cow tag,couple guys in the group have bull tags so Iam just hoping to take some meat home lol..had a bull tag in 2017 saw one legal bull long enough to get a range and disappeared on us...it was also very crowded but we never really ran into anyone while walking just on the ohv trails more or less

Gotcha. I know last year they had alot of snow 1st season I hope that is not the case this year, at least for where we hunt I would prefer little or no snow. We have a first timer going with us, never been to the mountains before so that will be fun. Our first priority is to have a fun safe trip and enjoy the time in the mountains. 2nd priority is to get an elk, although believe me I'm gonna give it my all to get a bull! Good luck!

Get as far away from the trails [and there are a lot of them). Most elk will be in the 9,500 to 10,000 foot elevations. Pressure will be heavy a mile or 2 near roads. It's big country in there. Very isolated. You'll see quite a few outfitters in the area. If you can backpack you will do real well but it will be a ##### hauling them out. We hunt Ripple Creek area. Lots of elk. Hunt hard and you should have some good opportunities. Best of luck, have fun and enjoy. Post some pictures when you are successful.

Not real sure,this is the first time we will be trying First rifle season! I will be sure to post and let you know though!

RzE: 1st Rifle unit 24

How did the hunt go boys and girls? I ended up with a 5x5 but saw very few. Froze my azz of Thursday night in the tent, good thing it warmed up after that. All in all a great time in the mountains!

RE: RzE: 1st Rifle unit 24

We all came home with tags...ofcourse the year we decide to draw Cow tags all we see is bulls!! Lol it was a good trip tho,saw many mule deer,buddy saw a moose,mt lion,camp was fun as usual,lots of pressure didn't matter if you hiked in 2.5 or 3 miles you were getting into people..ran into the game warden he also said he wasnt sure why it was so busyhttps://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2019/5219620191013173437.jpg

RE: RzE: 1st Rifle unit 24

OH_jl84

It sucks to have to eat cow elk tag soup but it happens.

The plus is it sounds like you all had a great time and a lot of memories for this years hunt

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom