1st Season Archery bull

NMPaul

Sure would be nice if this forum got back to posting pictures of NM animals taken.
This is my first season Archery bull. All but 2 of my archery bulls have been solo and one of those 2 Zach was only 8 years old so it was kinda solo. LOL
This was on the 2nd to last day and I passed taking shots on several better bulls hoping for Mr. Big.
I was afraid when I shot him that I would walk up to him and regret it.
Nope. I was super stoked. Great feeling walking up on him dead after him only going 200 feet. After I packed out the first load I went and got my little dog to pack the rest out with me.
Great day.
After killing 4 archery bulls solo, I have picked up a couple tricks to tie legs up with baling twine and wrapping skinned legs with game bags to keep the meat clean as you are breaking them away from carcass.
Only tag I got so far this year so I sure wanted to put some elk in the freezer.

tempImageFweyLb.png

33F14E47-729D-4972-A02B-48153C6442B5.jpeg

CC2D903B-6C22-4555-A86A-30CAEB069D53.jpeg

9745E6B9-AF9E-466D-B8A4-3348833D64BB.jpeg

198E8D02-BC6F-4412-81BD-3BDD75D7BC6D.jpeg

7368019A-E7FB-42D5-9240-10D4DAAC6193.jpeg

Sure would be nice if this forum got back to posting pictures of NM animals taken.
This is my first season Archery bull. All but 2 of my archery bulls have been solo and one of those 2 Zach was only 8 years old so it was kinda solo. LOL
This was on the 2nd to last day and I passed taking shots on several better bulls hoping for Mr. Big.
Nope. I was super stoked. Great feeling walking up on him dead after him only going 200 feet. After I packed out the first load I went and got my little dog to pack the rest out with me.
Great day.
After killing 4 archery bulls solo, I have picked up a couple tricks to tie legs up with baling twine and wrapping skinned legs with game bags to keep the meat clean as you are breaking them away from carcass.
Only tag I got so far this year so I sure wanted to put some elk in the freezer.

View attachment 52909

View attachment 52910

View attachment 52911

View attachment 52912

View attachment 52913

View attachment 52914
Nice bull Paul!

Since you asked for them here are our bulls from the same unit. I really enjoyed the area and the people. If you live in the area you're lucky.

20210908_150829.jpg

ian elk.jpg

Nice bull and photos.

I always carry some rope or cord with me and use it when I can, but sometimes there's just nothing close enough.

Great bulls guys. I was thinking the same thing Paul, wishing more harvest were posted. Thanks for posting this one and great job. Solo packing has to be one exhausting chore.

Those are some awesome bulls! This guy isn’t as big but I couldn’t be happier with him. Had a chances at some big bulls but couldn’t them to fully commit. Bumped this guy and killed him the same day. Dropped within 5 yards of shooting him. Last resident hunt for me and my first bull elk ever!
2E479D77-5099-4FE1-9501-D28E6A21CFC9.jpeg
402A2D56-E500-4E0C-BF67-1BE5965C063E.jpeg

You guys did great. The first week was exceptionally tough. That 7x7 is way above average for this unit. I know you guys worked your butts off. Congrats!!!
Thanks! He was actually the best bull I saw in over 2 weeks of looking at bulls there. He just happened to show up in the 1st 30 mins of me hunting. I didn't carry my bow the 1st week focusing on my sons hunt. I was surprised he ended up 340+. Didn't look that big to me, but those extra points( 29 1/4" ) and solid tine length really added up.

I was mostly proud and happy for my son. He passed up a bunch of 5 points with a goal of a 6 point, and when he got the chance he executed perfectly.

We did LOTS of steep climbing!

Congrats to all you guys!!! I know I chatted with a number of you all and can't thank you enough for the assistance and encouragement this summer and during the hunt.
Alas, I ate tag soup on my early hunt in SC NM. I was largely solo and had to come back to AZ after 8 days of hunting to help my Dad on his hunt (another tag soup).
I was lucky enough to have elk around me everyday, but could not put it all together. I was out all day, every day (even those crazy rainy days), but there was always something that happened to blow it all up.
I won't lie, i'm still bitter, still pissed, hating bowhunting and elk right now; but can't be happier to see your all's success. And Rick, you are dead nuts right. What a cool area and country where we were. Lots of variety and more elk than I've ever seen in my life.

Congrats to you all!!!!

Paul, great bull. Y’all are some of the most consistent killers, year in and year out.

I too, was surprised that it wasn’t until 9/22 that the NM forum got its first bull posted. Still haven’t seen any muleys posted either (unless I missed them).

I’ll be honest, I used to spend a lot of time on MM in the past, but a combo of time now spent with my three young kids and some know it all dudes on here that really turn me off, I would much rather spend my time elsewhere. I still drop in now and again to see updates from guys like you, Rio, and others, but for the most part, MM just ain’t what it used to be.

I’ve got the third rifle hunt in CO for deer so I’ll be sure to drop in and share my experience, until then, y’all be safe….and take it easy on each other. Same team.

Great day.

View attachment 52909

View attachment 52910

View attachment 52911

View attachment 52912

View attachment 52913

View attachment 52914
Great day.

View attachment 52909

View attachment 52910

View attachment 52911

View attachment 52912

View attachment 52913

View attachment 52914
First picture is of the Antelope the lady’s got back in August. And the buck is my buddy’s first archery kill.

F006EB0F-C18F-42AA-89A4-57FF8B3F556B.jpeg

7F7C8724-B8B3-4CF2-8C24-D58D0D08C6CC.jpeg

Congratulations to all! JFBNorthern, special congratulations to your daughters on those archery goat kills! Very impressive!?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom