2.5# or less $300 spotting scope

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I had a Leupold Sequoia 15x-45x 60mm straight spotting scope I used a lot. I sent it to Leupold to clean and they said it was broken and threw it away. They sent me a new Leupold SX-2 Alpine 20-60x angled spotting scope. It seems nice but it is HEAVY. I backpack this in and fly into AK with my scope often.
Sequoia weighed 2.1# new one weighs 3.5#

I am looking for a spotting scope similar to he Sequoia. Total weight under 2.5# (this is not negotiable). roughly 15x-45x - this can vary a little. I would like to get something new at $300 or less.

Ideas?

Also what are the pros/cons of an angled spotting scope?

Kowa TSN-501/502
  • Close Focus
  • Powerful Zoom
  • Robust Materials
  • Multi-Coating
  • Fully Waterproof
  • Compact & Light

SMALL ENOUGH TO TAKE ANYWHERE.
Enjoy close up views of your world anytime with the Kowa TSN-500 spotting scope.
Small and light enough to always be with you whether at home, the park or trekking out in the hills.

• TSN-501 ANGLED MODEL
  • TSN-502 STRAIGHT MODEL
BUILT FOR THE GREAT OUTDOORS.
TSN-500 is fully waterproof and nitrogen filled, this tough little scope is designed to perform in harsh environments.

BORN TO BE ADVENTUROUS.
Weighing only 400g, the TSN-500 series spotting scope is light enough to take with you even on the longest treks and expeditions.

ALWAYS WITH YOU
Measuring just 239mm in length* TSN-500 series is extremely portable – the perfect choice for enjoying outdoor pursuits.
*TSN-501 model.

KEEP YOUR EYE ON TARGET
TSN-500 series is the perfect choice for archery and target shooting, with a magnification of 20-40x – quickly observe your target in great clarity.

CLOSE FOCUS CAPTURES NATURE’S SECRET WORLD
With close focus performance down to just 2.5m – enjoy incredible detail of plants and insects at up to 40x magnification.

AN OPTIC FOR ALL
The TSN-500 series is so lightweight and easy to use for all ages, enjoy at home, at the range or out in the great outdoors.

CLOSE FOCUS
With a close focus distance of just 2.5m – see the secret beauty of nature in glorious, fine detail.

POWERFUL ZOOM
A responsive twist 20-40x zoom eyepiece means you can enjoy clear, close up views of your subject.

ROBUST MATERIALS
The compact TSN-500 series spotting scope has a tough outer shell to protect against harsh environments and weather.

MULTI-COATING
Kowa’s unique lens coating technology improves resolution and light transmission for enhanced viewing.

FULLY WATERPROOF
The TSN-500 series is built to withstand the elements with a fully sealed, waterproof and nitrogen filled casing.

COMPACT & LIGHT
Weighing just 400g, the Kowa TSN-500 series spotting scope is ultra portable, never miss that special moment.

Sorry to HiJack but have wondered about these also. Have any of you used the little Kowa and the little Vortex RazorHD spotters?

How do they compare?

I’ve often thought about it, when you get that small and cheap is there much benefit over just carrying a high end set of binoculars?

If I really think I need a spotter, whether to judge critters or if I’m going to spend a bunch of time behind glass in open country I typically lug my 8.5# 85mm and tripod. But, on those in between trips I don’t and instead just use quality 10x42 binos. If a small spotter is an upgrade, I’d consider carrying one.

Sorry to HiJack but have wondered about these also. Have any of you used the little Kowa and the little Vortex RazorHD spotters?

How do they compare?

I’ve often thought about it, when you get that small and cheap is there much benefit over just carrying a high end set of binoculars?

If I really think I need a spotter, whether to judge critters or if I’m going to spend a bunch of time behind glass in open country I typically lug my 8.5# 85mm and tripod. But, on those in between trips I don’t and instead just use quality 10x42 binos. If a small spotter is an upgrade, I’d consider carrying one.
I have owned both in the past...... The 500 series Kowa is not the fluorite glass but for the price point preforms good! The Razors glass is honestly not too much brighter or clearer to my eyes than the 500 series...

the 500 has a 20-40 eyepiece where the razor has 11-33.... a little narrower FOV but i would rather have the extra zoom.

If i am looking for a high performance small spotter I would not touch the Razor 50 and i would go with the Kowa 550 Series.

Has any one mentioned not wasting your money yet? Cheap and good don’t go together with glass. That little spotter won’t do anything for you binos won’t do. Once your zoomed in it’s all just a blur

My little straight Leupy has been WAY more places than that Austrian pig. Shove it in a tube sock with the nested-leg tripod, and away we went.

My Swaro case is all beat up from riding in the truck. And yet it’s value increases……?

Good luck with your search for a good lightweight combo.

Last edited:
Maven CS1 is a great little unit for 40 ounces and $800. Limited range and capabilities with 15-45x65 but get what ya pay for and weight you want to carry.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom