20 points or more (any species) - how old are ya!

20 points / how old are ya!

• Total voters

Katoom

I've always been curious what this graph looks like. In my 40's and have been hoarding points since 1998. I used an elk point in 1999. Used up my deer in 2018. Now sitting on a pile of antelope (no particular goal or urgency) and a growing pile of elk (but chasing the dust from the herd of guys ahead).

I didn't vote because I'm under 20 pts, but I'll post my numbers below. I'm 48 years old.

Deer - 1 pt. Burned 15 pts in 2018
Elk - 18 pts
Pronghorn - 13 pts

I'll hold on to my CO elk points for as long as I can with the hopes of a premium tag. I'd think that most folks with 24+ points are 60+ years old. I'm curious to see what the results are from your poll. I've wondered the same thing about a lot of the premium hunts in the western states.

59 years old and 24 points going into the draw this year for elk.

Wife 55 years old and 22 points elk and 18 points for deer with points just purchased.

Son is 28 years old and has 17 elk points with points just purchased.

Last edited:
59 years old and 24 points going into the draw this year for elk.

Wife 55 years old and 22 points elk and 18 points for deer.

Son is 28 yeats old and has 18 elk points.

Looks like all of you will have some good hunts in your future!

61 with 21 points for elk,13 for deer and 3 for lope, 2 for bear. Trying to burn elk this year. Maybe deer next year, while I tag along on son’s cow hunt? Soon to be too old for flatlander to hunt up high.

I just haven't made time to black bear hunt and have close to more bear pts than anyone else in Colo. There are quite a few fun options in the fall in Colo!

To bad it takes so many points. Pretty much a once in a lifetime tag.

Figure pay and play and get me, my wife and my 3 sons one good elk and deer hunt in Colorado and Wyoming. After that just enjoy utah general seasons and an occasional out of state deer or antelope hunt.

Hope to draw some tags in next few years and enjoy the hunts. ??

61 years old, non resident , with 27 elk points and just purchased another. Wife is 60 with same points for elk. Would have put her in for unit 10 bull with rifle but got nervous w the uncertainty of virus complications this year.

I'm 44 and would have 20 points for Utah Moose, but I jumped ship 3 years ago and got into the pool for Rocky's. No desire to shoot or even hunt for a Moose, no idea why I stayed in so long.

48 yr s old 21 pts elk 19 pts mule deer came close to putting in for unit 66 mule deer, plans didn't work , so pts keep climging

19 pronghorn points, 2 deer, 1 elk, 6 bear currently. I drew the buck tag on Hill Ranch RFW 3 years ago, 23 pps I think. In 2000 I drew a 61 bull tag for 1st rifle, w 7 pps, stopped saving elk points after that. Age 61.

I had 20 points in AZ when I drew 5 years ago. Thats for Early rifle bull . . I drew it with only 3 points in 1996. I was 59 5 years ago when I drew it so I may not get another one but never know as a Resident. I have 27 points for Sheep here .will be 64 in Sept. Dad just passed away last year at 98 but He ate better than i did, (no junk food)I get lottsa Spring turkey tags Its up to the Man above how long I will be here..............BULL!

19 pronghorn points, 2 deer, 1 elk, 6 bear currently. I drew the buck tag on Hill Ranch RFW 3 years ago, 23 pps I think. In 2000 I drew a 61 bull tag for 1st rifle, w 7 pps, stopped saving elk points after that. Age 61.

Unit 61 with 7 points...... those must have been the days!

37 years old with 20 NR elk points, 20 NR antelope points and 1 NR deer point. Sent in for 2nd rifle Unit 40 elk tag this year so the elk will be zerod’ out!

I'm 72 going on 73-- but still getting around good. My wife thinks I'm beyond nuts for still hunting ! Like most wives. LOL ?
In Colorado-- 11 deer points, 15 elk, 8 antelope, only 3 each for sheep,moose, goats.
In Arizona, used to live in Flagstaff, -- Deer- 18, wanting a 13-B tag, elk- 15, sheep- 25, antelope-15. Doubt I'll ever get anything but a deer tag, maybe. But I've got a Lifetime Hunting License & that helps the pain of applying each year. If I get a 13-B deer tag, before I croak, I'll go top rate Guided on the Strip in hopes of finding a whopper for my wall. I cannot do that hunt without a top guide at 73 plus. ? Jerry Gold- Fort Collins, Colorado

I'm 72 going on 73-- but still getting around good. My wife thinks I'm beyond nuts for still hunting ! Like most wives. LOL ?
In Colorado-- 11 deer points, 15 elk, 8 antelope, only 3 each for sheep,moose, goats.
In Arizona, used to live in Flagstaff, -- Deer- 18, wanting a 13-B tag, elk- 15, sheep- 25, antelope-15. Doubt I'll ever get anything but a deer tag, maybe. But I've got a Lifetime Hunting License & that helps the pain of applying each year. If I get a 13-B deer tag, before I croak, I'll go top rate Guided on the Strip in hopes of finding a whopper for my wall. I cannot do that hunt without a top guide at 73 plus. ? Jerry Gold- Fort Collins, Colorado

Keep it up Jerry and I hope you draw that AZ sheep tag while you are at it. I need you "getting around good" for many years to come, you are a wealth of knowledge and encouragement every time we talk.

Hello Katoom ! Thanks for your message & kind words/vote of confidence ! I never mind telling what I know to help anyone if I can. Lots of folks have given me help over these many years that has been so appreciated ! I pay it it forward as the day comes when I can't do it or remember what the details were. Hunting seasons are what keep me going ! Without them, I'd wilt. Best of luck to you in your next hunting trips !
Jerry Gold-- ? Ft Collins, Colorado

:unsure: 60 Applying in 8 states, lots from 20-24 points. Got a couple curve balls thrown my way this year between the virus stealing my job flexibility, and a blown out rotator cuff complicating my archery plans.

I am upper 50’s

“Unfortunately” I have drawn a premium tag for every huntable species in Colorado so am not maxed out on anything. Including 3 moose tags, and 3 sheep tags, Mt. goat, unit 2 elk, Unit 76 elk, great deer and lope tags. Been applying for everything since 1995.
In the running for moose and Mt. goat Again.

Do have a ridiculous 19 bear points for no good reason. Maybe jims has me beat?

Wife has 19+3 moose (max)
22 deer
15 elk and pronghorn
18 ridiculous Turkey points
No sheep pts cuz she applies for desert

Have accrued massive piles of points for all big game species in all the western states with point systems since 1995 as well, having drawn some cool tags as well. But not out of state sheep or moose so those pts are stacking up.

Colorado
Elk 27
Antelope20

Utah
Elk 22
Desert 26

Wyoming
Sheep 20
Moose 20

Montana
Moose 19 been putting in since 1976 on tag
Goat 19

Nevada
Elk 21
Deer 21

Arizona
Elk 24
Deer 22
Sheep 24

Colorado
Elk 27
Antelope20

Utah
Elk 22
Desert 26

Wyoming
Sheep 20
Moose 20

Montana
Moose 19 been putting in since 1976 on tag
Goat 19

Nevada
Elk 21
Deer 21

Arizona
Elk 24
Deer 22
Sheep 24
Wow nice collection wish I had your Arizona Elk points

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom