20 Resident Points in Utah

Application season again. I never thought that I would be the guy with 20 elk points in Utah. I actually drew a tag for the late Dutton hunt in 2018 and in 2019. I turned it back in 2018 because I drew Nevada late elk during the same month. I got an expo tag for the Manti in 2019 so of course I had that tag instead. Put in again Dutton late and did not draw in 2020. Went down to scout the unit during the late hunt in November and just did not see anything to get excited about. So now I am questioning whether I want to burn my points on that hunt and maybe have a 30% chance this year anyway. I would like to get something bigger than I have already 330 type bulls and have points I could use in Colorado and Wyoming over the next couple of years. Then at that point possibly draw a premium tag for the Manti or draw a premium unit like maybe San Juan or Boulder muzzleloader season. With point creep it is hard to say how long it will really take to get a premium unit. I do like the idea of being able to have more time to hunt as well with an all season tag. Anyone else find themselves in this same predicament? Now that I have this many points may as well wait for a Premium tag or unit I am thinking.

I had 21 points last year and went with the Pahvant muzzy tag, so I was in your shoes last year. If you have opportunities to hunt elk in other states, I would hold out for your San Juan or Boulder muzzy tag. I honestly would take the muzzy tag over an any weapon tag every day of the week and twice on Sundays :) It will take you less time to draw (although you are still out a bit on the Boulder muzzy tag - not sure on San Juan but assume it is the same), and the activity of the elk during the muzzy dates is tough to beat. You have already waited 20 years, what is a few more years as long as you can hunt elk elsewhere and get your fix! (y)

I had 21 points last year and went with the Pahvant muzzy tag, so I was in your shoes last year. If you have opportunities to hunt elk in other states, I would hold out for your San Juan or Boulder muzzy tag. I honestly would take the muzzy tag over an any weapon tag every day of the week and twice on Sundays :) It will take you less time to draw (although you are still out a bit on the Boulder muzzy tag - not sure on San Juan but assume it is the same), and the activity of the elk during the muzzy dates is tough to beat. You have already waited 20 years, what is a few more years as long as you can hunt elk elsewhere and get your fix! (y)
I would have never believed that I would have opportunities at great elk tags in 3 other states before I would use my Utah points. I can't complain as the expo tag and out of state tags have provided a fix of sorts to get me through but it also has created an even greater desire to get after the huge bulls available in Utah. If I can be patient long enough that is. How did your Pahvant muzzy hunt go? I love hunting with a muzzleloader so I am leaning that way.

I would have never believed that I would have opportunities at great elk tags in 3 other states before I would use my Utah points. I can't complain as the expo tag and out of state tags have provided a fix of sorts to get me through but it also has created an even greater desire to get after the huge bulls available in Utah. If I can be patient long enough that is. How did your Pahvant muzzy hunt go? I love hunting with a muzzleloader so I am leaning that way.
My hunt was everything I wanted in a good elk hunting experience! Spent around 25 days scouting leading up to my hunt and watched a lot of different bulls both through the spotting scope/video and on trail cam. My hunt ended quickly opening morning on a bull I had been watching since July, but that was just icing on the cake to an overall amazing experience. I shared my hunt here on the site in a semi-live approach if you want to check it out at this link:
https://www.monstermuleys.info/xf/threads/semi-live-utah-le-elk-muzzy-hunt.184454/

I would definitely recommend holding out for a muzzy tag in your situation with the points you have currently.

Application season again. I never thought that I would be the guy with 20 elk points in Utah. I actually drew a tag for the late Dutton hunt in 2018 and in 2019. I turned it back in 2018 because I drew Nevada late elk during the same month. I got an expo tag for the Manti in 2019 so of course I had that tag instead. Put in again Dutton late and did not draw in 2020. Went down to scout the unit during the late hunt in November and just did not see anything to get excited about. So now I am questioning whether I want to burn my points on that hunt and maybe have a 30% chance this year anyway. I would like to get something bigger than I have already 330 type bulls and have points I could use in Colorado and Wyoming over the next couple of years. Then at that point possibly draw a premium tag for the Manti or draw a premium unit like maybe San Juan or Boulder muzzleloader season. With point creep it is hard to say how long it will really take to get a premium unit. I do like the idea of being able to have more time to hunt as well with an all season tag. Anyone else find themselves in this same predicament? Now that I have this many points may as well wait for a Premium tag or unit I am thinking.
was on the Manti rifle hunt last
did not see a bull over 330 was down the whole hunt
to many people and want be outfitters
not many elk would not waste my time aging on this unit

Well I suppose if you want to keep waiting. From what I have seen the late hunt is the best option. It's a huge unit and the Best bulls are killed on the late hunt

My hunt was everything I wanted in a good elk hunting experience! Spent around 25 days scouting leading up to my hunt and watched a lot of different bulls both through the spotting scope/video and on trail cam. My hunt ended quickly opening morning on a bull I had been watching since July, but that was just icing on the cake to an overall amazing experience. I shared my hunt here on the site in a semi-live approach if you want to check it out at this link:
https://www.monstermuleys.info/xf/threads/semi-live-utah-le-elk-muzzy-hunt.184454/

I would definitely recommend holding out for a muzzy tag in your situation with the points you have currently.
That is a fantastic looking bull and a great story to boot. It doesn't get any better than that. Thanks for the honest input!

was on the Manti rifle hunt last
did not see a bull over 330 was down the whole hunt
to many people and want be outfitters
not many elk would not waste my time aging on this unit
When I had the muzzy expo tag two years ago I had one shot at a 350 bull and also at a 340 but those were definitely the biggest I saw in well over a week of hard hunting. But I ended up shooting a 330 bull toward the end of my hunt which I was happy with. It was so dry and the bulls would only bugle at night and maybe once right at daybreak and then it was over. Tough hunt because once they go silent and bed for the day you can't really go walking into the canopy after them. I very easily could have eaten the tag and I hunt harder than anyone else I know. Still a great time, but I agree they give so many tags for the area and so much access, a few old bulls will get through but not many. I also found a deadhead last year from a 10+ year old bull with ivories fallen out, heavy old dinosaur bull that is pretty cool but not worth burning over 20 years of points on.

Well I suppose if you want to keep waiting. From what I have seen the late hunt is the best option. It's a huge unit and the Best bulls are killed on the late hunt
By late you mean that late Dutton right? It can be great I know. I think this last year with the drought the antler growth was not great. Walking around in November everything was powder dry still and parched low quality feed available so that may have had something to do with the lack of quality seen.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom