200 Gr. .50 cal load with BH 209

JimNv

Lots of good muzzy info here so what better place to get some ideas? My grandson drew a youth tag (deer) here in Nv. He can hunt all seasons (archery, muzzy, any legal weapon).

Looking to work up a load for him and need some opinions.

Bought some 200 gr. T/C Shockwave bullets. I have available some BH 209. What kind of load would be recommended for deer, say a max range of 150, that Wouldn’t be a recoil issue? I use 105 grains of BH209, 300 gr. Barnes TEZ and it has a pretty good punch.

Want to steer clear of Pyrodex as the follow on load is stiff as hell, whereas BH allows for an easier follow-on shot.

What say you, oh wise ones?

Well Elk, I do have a 12 year kid that I don't want to get bit too bad. Might put him off of wanting to shoot that ole muzzy. I wound up getting scope bit at an early age (though no scopes involved here in Nv.) and it kind of made me a tad flinchy on that recoil till I got in the military and had some HITRON shooters thump me on the head enough to become a pretty good shooter in my own right. ;). Start him on the deer with an easy load, then get a bit bigger.

Last edited:
I generally shoot 110 grains of BH209. Knocked it down to 90 for my son last year. Accuracy wasn't quite as good but it was kid friendly and he shot his buck at about 105 yards.

Pretty simple, Start the load off at 80gr ( Volume ) and see how he handles it. If he's ok with that, go up in 5gr increments until you see it's getting to his limit.

You also say max range of 150yds. With open sights, I bet the kid can't hit a paper plate twice in 5 shots. Nothing against him. just the facts. I probably couldn't either. I think realistic range is going to be under 100 yards.

I think starting at 80 is sound advice. I also reduced the load in one of my Omegas from 110 to 90 for my son when he was 12. Worked fine for him. That’s with a 300 gr bullet so I’m sure those 200s would be even more tolerable. As an aside, the 200 gr shockwaves may or may not shoot all that well in a .50. They don’t in any of mine. I’m assuming you’re shooting a .50 and not a .45. If it’s a .45 they’ll likely shoot just fine.

As for a youngster cleanly killing a deer at 150 with open sights, I too would be skeptical. Depends on how practiced he is.

Yeah I have been rethinking those shockwaves. Might return them. They have some 225 Powerbelts there. Not a big fan of, their expansion but they shoot well and follow on shots are much easier than sabots in my experience.

As to antlers concern, I just need the load to shoot well to 150, and your advice to keep it close is well-heeded. I hunt with trad archery and am pretty confident I can get him close. My son is no slouch either.

Good advice from all and much appreciated.

I have heard that BH 209 needs more pressure than Pyrodex or 777 for consistent combustion. I'm not sure it would be the best choice for reduced loads and light bullets. Try it, but keep that in mind.

Good to know EF. I will find this out. I do know that a breech plug on some guns needs to be changed to one that is made for the BH209. I currently shoot mine with without it but once in a great while I will get a misfire or a near dud shot. Thanks for heads up?

As already stated, I would start at 80 gr. But if that is accurate I would not go any higher. That is plenty of power out to 150! If not accurate, go up by 5 gr. I wouldn’t go over 90 gr (volume). If even that gives him too much thump I would not be scared to drop it by 5 grs each time to as low as 60 gr. Remember what killed a lot of Buffalo: The 45-70! 45 caliber and 70 gr of blackpowder.

And remember: BH 209 is around 15% hotter/stronger than black powder or pyrodex.

But you could also try these:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/federal-premium-bor-lock-mz-trophy-copper-muzzleloader-bullets-–-per-15

But the problem will be finding bullets. If you find one you like, buy a bunch!

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom