200 Yard Muzzleloader Shots?

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
I see posts that mention 200 yard muzzy shots. For those that shoot that far, a few questions.
What gun are you shooting? How much powder? What bullet and grains?

I shoot a Knight Wolverine LK97 with 100 grains of Triple 7 pellets and a 300 gr Hornady sabot. It is a tack driver and shoots the same at 50 and 100 yards. But by 150 yards, it drops over a foot.

CVA Accura, 110 grain 777, 250 Grain Barnes TMZ.

100yds +2.5

160yds 0

200yds -7

Rifle will shoot about a 1" group at 100yds and 2" at 200yds if I do my part.

All of my muzzleloaders shot 200 yards no problem.

This is my Hot Rod Hawken 45. This gun shoots a 408 gr paper patched RCBS 11mm rifle bullet with 80 gr of pyrodex P. It has Lyman 57 SML peep sights set to 50 yard increments out to 300 yards. It has a Lyman 17 AML front sight with Lee Shavers inserts. Use a range finder get the yardage, set the sight for that yardage and shoot. No hold over no hold under.

2UMJRHF.jpg

1kWwyAq.jpg

This is my Hot Rod Renegade.

It has Lyman 57 SML peep sights set to 50 yard increments out to 300 yards. It has a Lyman 17 AML front sight with Lee Shavers inserts. Use a range finder get the yardage, set the sight for that yardage and shoot. No hold over no hold under. It shoots a paper patched Lee 500 S&W bullet with 80 gr of pyrodex P

H1Jkg7v.jpg

JlO6298.jpg

This is my Knight MK85 50 cal. It has Williams FP
peep sights set to 50 yard increments out to 250 yards. It has a Lyman 17 AML front sight with Lee Shavers inserts. Use a range finder get the yardage, set the sight for that yardage and shoot. No hold over no hold under. It shoots a paper patched Lee 500 S&W bullet with 80 gr of pyrodex P.

H1Jkg7v.jpg

7MAWVW8.jpg

Two different approaches. One, a lighter bullet with a little more powder. And two, adjusting the sights based on range.

Thanks.

My wife shoots a TC Impact with 90grs Blackhorn, Harvester crushed rib sabot, and a 250gr Hornady xtp mag bullet. She shot her first deer last year at 212 yds, I had her hold just over its back.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-18 AT 09:17PM (MST)[p]With a proper bullet most modern factory rifled muzzleloaders will group and retain energy to 200 yards (finding that load may be harder for some guns) Depending on bullet, load and barrel length you can get out a little farther.

Go to something like the Remington ultimate you can get out a little farther and then even farther with a custom.

I have killed 2 bucks with my custom 250 and 280 yards. That is relatively close for my setup (Bh209 and Utah legal).

I shot a bull elk a few years back at 205 yards with a TC Omega, 130 grs 777 pellets and a 250 gr TC shock wave (I think this is what it is called). Drop was about 10" for me. Bullet performed well.

My brother in law borrowed the same rifle/load this year and killed a bull at 190 yards.

Muzzleloaders have come a long way since I started hunting with them. Some are as letal as the 30.06 I started hunting with in the 80s.

>I shot a bull elk a
>few years back at 205
>yards with a TC Omega,
>130 grs 777 pellets and
>a 250 gr TC shock
>wave (I think this is
>what it is called). Drop
>was about 10" for me.
>Bullet performed well.
>
>My brother in law borrowed the
>same rifle/load this year and
>killed a bull at 190
>yards.
>
>Muzzleloaders have come a long way
>since I started hunting with
>them. Some are as letal
>as the 30.06 I started
>hunting with in the 80s.

Some retain much more energy then a 30 06 ;-)

My 45 caliber shooting a 540 grain bullet pushed by 90 grains of swiss B powder, zero at 100 yards will drop 24" at 200 yards and 68" at 300 yards, 148" at 400 yards.

>My 45 caliber shooting a 540
>grain bullet pushed by 90
>grains of swiss B powder,
>zero at 100 yards will
>drop 24" at 200 yards
>and 68" at 300 yards,
>148" at 400 yards.

That's a big bullet. My 344 gr .452 bomb (made by Kentic preformamce) dope for 425 is 12.5 MOA so 50? ish with 100 yard zero. That's with a hefty load of BH209 that gets it close to smokeless velocities.

Joe2cool I have an old knight mk85 I assume your weapon is shooting 209 primers? I shoot 250 grain shockwaves with 100 grain 777 loose powder. Your gun can handle 100 grain loose powder which is equal to around 120 grain pellets. 2 pellets equaling 100 grains is a pretty light load. I'm not the greatest shot in the world but shoot a decent pattern at 200 yards. I did kill a whitetail at 180 yards shot thru the neck and bullet was lodged in far side skin. Muzzleloaders loose energy fast.

Yes, shooting 209's. Didn't realize the loose powder was different than the pellets. I've tried the 260, 240, and even 180 grain bullets and none shoot as tight at the 300's.

I'll try 100 gr loose and see how that does.

Thanks.

>
83730img4621.jpg

>
>Well beyond 200 with the Rem
>Ultimate topped with 2.5x8 Leupold.
>
>Admittedly. it's hardly "primitive".
>
>
>Zeke
>#livelikezac

Nice buck Zeke. Was this a 2018 buck ?

CVA Accura V2

Two triple seven magnum pellets (120 grains)
Barnes TMZ 250g or Hornady SST 250

Hornady is 3.5 inches high at 100 and 4.5" low at 200
Barnes is 4" high at 100 and 3" low at 200.

I shot a great bull elk a few years ago at 290 yards. The killing power is still good a that distance with 150 grains of triple 7 barnes 250 TMZ and a Tc triumph. Long shots need magnum loads or they drop out of sight. Shoot a lot and know your ballistics.

I got my hands on the new cva Paramount. 150 gr of blackhorn 209 and the powerbelt 280 gr elr bullet made for the gun. It is a high bc and shoots unbelievably well. My last group of 4 shots were under 2 inches at 200 yards. The rifle is topped with Leupold vx5. Many guys are saying they don't trust powerbelts on impact. But holy crap do these buggers shoot well! I also have the accura and it shoots great as well just not with magnum loads. 100 gr of pirodex and 295 gr aerolite

>I got my hands on the
>new cva Paramount. 150
>gr of blackhorn 209 and
>the powerbelt 280 gr elr
>bullet made for the gun.
> It is a high
>bc and shoots unbelievably well.
> My last group of
>4 shots were under 2
>inches at 200 yards.
>The rifle is topped with
>Leupold vx5. Many guys
>are saying they don't trust
>powerbelts on impact. But
>holy crap do these buggers
>shoot well! I also have
>the accura and it shoots
>great as well just not
>with magnum loads. 100
>gr of pirodex and 295
>gr aerolite

I've had bad experiences with powerbelt

>>I shot a bull elk a
>>few years back at 205
>>yards with a TC Omega,
>>130 grs 777 pellets and
>>a 250 gr TC shock
>>wave (I think this is
>>what it is called). Drop
>>was about 10" for me.
>>Bullet performed well.
>>
>>My brother in law borrowed the
>>same rifle/load this year and
>>killed a bull at 190
>>yards.
>>
>>Muzzleloaders have come a long way
>>since I started hunting with
>>them. Some are as letal
>>as the 30.06 I started
>>hunting with in the 80s.
>
>Some retain much more energy then
>a 30 06 ;-)
>
>

Have you shot smokeless out of this gun?

Powerbelts are really really good bullets...?.

?...at punching holes in a target

They are also pure soft lead, which means that the faster you shoot them, the worse they do on an animal. So I might consider using one at 90 grains, but never at 150 grains

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-19 AT 06:00PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-19 AT 05:58?PM (MST)

I've shot 2 deer with power belts. 1 shot was at 145 yards, quartered away, hit behind the last rib. I had 2 holes in the neck, one mid rib on the opposite side and another behind the shoulder on the same side the entrance hole was. Killed him dead, but not what I was wanting. Tried them again the next year to be sure it wasn?t just a fluke. 170 yards, hit mid body, 4? behind the shoulder. Had 3 exit holes on the other side in various locations and a big chunk stuck in the hide and several little shrapnel pieces strung out in the chest cavity.

Those were back In my young and dumb days when I thought I needed to shoot 85# bows, 3.5? shells at duck out of my shotgun and 150 grains of powder in my muzzy. I think at a lesser charge, power belts might be a great option.

Neither deer took a step after being hit, so they did their job. I just wasn?t too excited with the results from them in hunting situations. Lots of guys swear by them, and they are an easy bullet to get to shoot and they have killed more than their fair share of animals. I just think there are better options out there for a western big game hunting bullet designed for muzzleloaders

246 yards, Pine Valley deer, 100 grains BH209 and 250 grain Hornady Low Drag. Thompson Omega. Went less than 30 yards and tipped over.

Target Rifle - GMa.jpg

530 Grain PP bullet 90 Grains of Swiss Powder 1 in 18" twist barrel which will hit targets well beyond 200 yards, but deer move and the wind blows. At 1300 FPS a lot of deer beyond 200 yards get wounded.

>>I shot a bull elk a
>>few years back at 205
>>yards with a TC Omega,
>>130 grs 777 pellets and
>>a 250 gr TC shock
>>wave (I think this is
>>what it is called). Drop
>>was about 10" for me.
>>Bullet performed well.
>>
>>My brother in law borrowed the
>>same rifle/load this year and
>>killed a bull at 190
>>>

Have you shot smokeless out of this gun?

yes, I often practice on papee/steel with smokeless powder due to the price of bh209.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom