2000$ to spend on complete hunting setup.

Butts

I have a nightforce scope listed in the classifieds. That’s what brought this thread up.
If ya had 2000$ to spend.. would it be 1600$ for a scope and 400$ for a rifle?
Or swapped? Or middle ground.?
I do love semi-custom/custom built rifles …however some folks can’t afford both.
The difference I see in a 400$ rifle is ya might have to shoot it a couple times to decide if it can come close to your scopes capabilities. Cherry/lemon type deal with lower cost rifles. Thoughts?

Lots of inexpensive rifles shoot well. Good optics on top make them easier to shoot better. At 2K, I'm 50/50. mtmuley

Last edited:
No amount of scope quality can fix an inaccurate rifle. High end scopes are nice, but they are worthless on a 2 or 3 MOA rifle.
I spend the majority of my hunting rifle budget on the rifle itself.
All of my hunting rifles are topped with modest priced Leupold scopes and I feel no disadvantage with them.

Last edited:
No amount of scope quality can fix an inaccurate rifle. High end scopes are nice, but they are worthless on a 2 or 3 MOA rifle.
All of my hunting rifles are topped with modest costing Leupold scopes and I feel no disadvantage with them.
Yep
If the rifle won’t shoot why put a high dollar scope on it?
Waist of money

All of my hunting rifles are topped with modest costing Leupold scopes and I feel no disadvantage with them.

Just asking?? What’s your hunting rifles?

Need more info. Any ideas of what caliber range?

So many opinions out there but here is mine. If I was in your shoes I would be on gunbroker looking at a remington model 700 BDL. Possibly a 7 rem mag or a .300 win mag (those 2 calibers are based on 2 of my personal favorites). I would be looking at 1980 to early 90's. Reason I say this that they are a well built rifle with a great action that down the road you could use for a build. Prices vary. $800 to $1500. Some much more depending in year and condition

Just asking?? What’s your hunting rifles?
My go to hunting rifles for decades were Browning, Ruger, and a Remington. Some have in recent years been re-barreled/rebuilt but they still carry modest priced Leupold scopes. If I were buying new with 2K I would look at spending more money on the rifle than the scope.
I'm kinda old school Butts, and a disciple of Jack O'Connor. I remember an article he wrote about your very question, where he argued that even inexpensive scopes will work well but only if your rifle will perform it's function. Most of his sheep were killed with a nice rifle and an inexpensive Weaver scope.
I honestly think top end rifle optics are really made for competition shooting at long range banging.
I may be a bastage...but that's my two cents!

My own setup on my 7mm Mag is about 80/20, rifle/scope. But I lucked into a really cheap scope that performs very well.

My wife's 6.5 Creedmoor is about 50/50.

Well here is my two cents worth. Rifles that are accurate enough for hunting are not hard to come by, and they are relatively inexpensive. Scopes is a while different ball game. If your going to dial and be a "tactical" hunter then your $2,000 is about gone on a just the scope!! If you like the vast majority of hunter who want a rifle and scope that can hunt to say 500 yards you budget wouldn't be a problem. Pick up a Tikka for under $1,000 and a variety x 3 for $500 or so and spend the rest on ammo to practice. I'd bet you'd be better in the end spending money on practice ammo than a fancy scope with turrets that the majority don't dial with while hunting... I have both high dollar systems and older budget friendly guns, my favorite is a sporterized Mauser in 7mm-08 with an old school nikon monarch. I've never wished I had any of my "fancy" guns on any of my hunts

My go to hunting rifles for decades were Browning, Ruger, and a Remington. Some have in recent years been re-barreled/rebuilt but they still carry modest priced Leupold scopes. If I were buying new with 2K I would look at spending more money on the rifle than the scope.
I'm kinda old school Butts, and a disciple of Jack O'Connor. I remember an article he wrote about your very question, where he argued that even inexpensive scopes will work well but only if your rifle will perform it's function. Most of his sheep were killed with a nice rifle and an inexpensive Weaver scope.
I honestly think top end rifle optics are really made for competition shooting at long range banging.
I may be a bastage...but that's my two cents!
Well, I agree with allot said. My Wyoming buck last year was killed with a Remington 760 pump master 270. Win. 3x9 vari x ll.
Jack is a living legend in my book.

If it were me, I'd find a higher end Savage rifle and throw on a Vortex Viper PST. The Vortex is on sale often and I've never seen an upper end Savage that wouldn't shoot.

If it were me, I'd find a higher end Savage rifle and throw on a Vortex Viper PST. The Vortex is on sale often and I've never seen an upper end Savage that wouldn't shoot.

The nightforce scope I have for sale was on top of a savage 110 tactical, that held sub -moa at 1100 yds.

First of all just go buy a tikka. Then you have a rifle where there’s no question it will shoot MOA and they have good triggers for a factory standard. It’s not a great trigger but it’s good. Now that you’ve spent about 6-700 bucks on a rifle you know will shoot before you even put the scope on it look and see if you can’t pick up a VX 6/5 used or on sale somewhere. This combo will likely shoot better then you will

I agree 100% with the last 2 comments. Go buy a Tikka and throw either a Zeiss V4 or Leupold VX 5 or 6 on it. I have a couple of these setups and for the money they are hard to beat.

Hell I have a VX6 on top of a custom I built just because I like them and there lite. No it’s not like my nightforce’s but I don’t think any if the deer it’s killed knew the difference

Hell I have a VX6 on top of a custom I built just because I like them and there lite. No it’s not like my nightforce’s but I don’t think any if the deer it’s killed knew the difference

The NF definitely adds the weight.

If you shop, you can have a great VX-5 3-15x for about a grand.
Take the balance and shop for a nice rifle and mounts.

You cannot buy top-end or custom rifles for that kind of but I realize that's not what you asked. You'll still end up with something that should function and shoot pretty dang well.

Zeke

For $2K I would do a 25/25/50 split. $500 for rifle $500 for ammunition to practice and $1000 for the scope. Practicing with your hunting rifle is more important than spending a little extra money on the scope or rifle.
There are many cheap guns that will shoot well. I couldn't pass up a good deal on a savage 22-250 about 5 years ago. New gun after tax and $100 rebate was less than $200. That gun will shoot 5 shots 1/2 MOA.

Last edited:
i would go 50/50.... VX5 or high end vortex scope with an xbolt hells canyon/Christensen mesa/tikka tx3. Check out what Ryan Hatch is doing @ muleycrazy. great long range rifles using those components.

You cannot buy top-end or custom rifles for that kind of but I realize that's not what you asked. You'll still end up with something that should function and shoot pretty dang well.

Zeke
That’s a good scope. Also, ask around among your friends, you might know someone with a pro deal for Leupold that could save you money. I’ve heard of that happening for some people.

Man I am behind the times… I’d easily spend a grand or more on a specific rifle I want but I’ve never spent over 400 for a scope. Almost everything I own wears a variable Leupold, couple others with Nikon. Hunting 450 yards and usually well under is fine by me.

Zeke
A couple of you mentioned VX-5s. I had Leopold VX3s before transitioning to Swaro Z3s. How do the VX-5s compare to the Z3s? Light transmission, image quality out to the edges, coating characteristics?

What kind of glass/tripod do you have? As a rifle hunter I’ve spent 99.9% of hunting time looking through those optics and .1% when you look through the scope and squeeze the trigger. I like nice rifles, have 1 higher end which Is nice but I don’t shoot it much and several mid tier rifles which come to the field with me. Just something to think about. I get it bino’s and spotters aren’t as sexy as things that go bang, but you can’t kill what you can’t find

My eyes are getting more and more out of whack. I have slowly been replacing the scopes from my rifles and the ones I inherited from my dad. Most of those are 80s and 90s era 3x9 or in that range. That’s just what you did with a rifle back then. Back then, we put a lot of Leupold and Nikon on our rifles. Now I replace with Zeiss, Swarovski, Steiner Leupold and Nightforce. With the max power at 15 instead of 9 or 10 and HD or better glass. Now I feel like my eyes are normal when looking through them. I’m sure it’s the last time I upgrade because I will likely depart before I need to replace them. Don’t budget too low for a scope. Look for used ones as well. I do plenty of that and have no shame in buying a used scope.

A lot of comments here about the glass quality of this scope or that. I’d take a scope with bushnell quality glass in if that had Schmidt and Bender quality internal components over a scope with the opposite anyway. Nightforce is a perfect example of this. Good quality internals, terrible glass, but that’s what I’d want if I had to make a compromise. I’d rather run something with both of them good. I’ve had terrible luck with Leupolds, not because of the glass but because of the internals, not holding zero, not returning to zero etc. If I had $2k to spend on the total package I’d just spend $1k instead as I don’t think you can get a good long range rifle and scope for $2k (atleast one capable of dialing long distance targets and returning to zero). If you keep your shots under 600 and use hold over reticles, then you can get by just fine with a $400 used model 700 and a $600 scope with subtensions in it that you know how to use.

A couple of you mentioned VX-5s. I had Leopold VX3s before transitioning to Swaro Z3s. How do the VX-5s compare to the Z3s? Light transmission, image quality out to the edges, coating characteristics?
Well sir, few things are as clear as Swarovski optics but usually they're a bit more money so.... I spend the most on optics that I use for hours and hours per day, like binos and spotters. The VX-5's that I use are optically better than fine and are mechanically solid. I do the TTTT test (tall target turret test) on every one I own and the Leupold passes with flying colors.

Zeke

Well sir, few things are as clear as Swarovski optics but usually they're a bit more money so.... I spend the most on optics that I use for hours and hours per day, like binos and spotters. The VX-5's that I use are optically better than fine and are mechanically solid. I do the TTTT test (tall target turret test) on every one I own and the Leupold passes with flying colors.

Zeke
Gotcha. I noticed that the VX-5s were in the same $ ballpark as the Z3, thus the question. Although I use the turret- I only shoot out to 400 max, and my tests seem to confirm it works well.

I loved my Leopolds- almost felt like a traitor when I switched!

What kind of glass/tripod do you have? As a rifle hunter I’ve spent 99.9% of hunting time looking through those optics and .1% when you look through the scope and squeeze the trigger. I like nice rifles, have 1 higher end which Is nice but I don’t shoot it much and several mid tier rifles which come to the field with me. Just something to think about. I get it bino’s and spotters aren’t as sexy as things that go bang, but you can’t kill what you can’t find

If a guy doesn’t have more coin in his optics system vs rifle/scope setup he definitely has not grown up hunting the west.. IMO.
Optics are everything.

If a guy doesn’t have more coin in his optics system vs rifle/scope setup he definitely has not grown up hunting the west.. IMO.
Optics are everything.
I get it though, I love rifles, especially accurate rifles, but currently I have to set aside my gun lust and save up for upgraded glass, haven’t reached the swaro’s yet

A lot of comments here about the glass quality of this scope or that. I’d take a scope with bushnell quality glass in if that had Schmidt and Bender quality internal components over a scope with the opposite anyway. Nightforce is a perfect example of this. Good quality internals, terrible glass, but that’s what I’d want if I had to make a compromise. I’d rather run something with both of them good. I’ve had terrible luck with Leupolds, not because of the glass but because of the internals, not holding zero, not returning to zero etc. If I had $2k to spend on the total package I’d just spend $1k instead as I don’t think you can get a good long range rifle and scope for $2k (atleast one capable of dialing long distance targets and returning to zero). If you keep your shots under 600 and use hold over reticles, then you can get by just fine with a $400 used model 700 and a $600 scope with subtensions in it that you know how to use.
How much dialing do you do? Per year?Shot count estimate on your scopes average..
I get returning to zero and tracking well that’s why I have always advocated for nightforce. However, if you’re just doing load development and shooting 20-40 round’s a year. Maybe a lighter scope ?

Zeke
Zeke, how much dialing/rounds do you fire every year on the VX-5?

How much dialing do you do? Per year?Shot count estimate on your scopes average..
I get returning to zero and tracking well that’s why I have always advocated for nightforce. However, if you’re just doing load development and shooting 20-40 round’s a year. Maybe a lighter scope ?
I dial every shot over 300 yards. I suppose I shoot 200-300 rounds a year out of my hunting rifle.

Zeke, how much dialing/rounds do you fire every year on the VX-5?
I shot at 100-600 and 900 on Saturday but I was using my VX-6 3-18 this time.
Like I said somewhere before, I shoot at distance an average of 1 x per week but some weeks it's well over that and some weeks I'm hunting or something else gets in the way and that's when I'm grumpy! haha

Zeke

I shot at 100-600 and 900 on Saturday but I was using my VX-6 3-18 this time.
Like I said somewhere before, I shoot at distance an average of 1 x per week but some weeks it's well over that and some weeks I'm hunting or something else gets in the way and that's when I'm grumpy! haha

Zeke
I can verify Zeke is grumpy, when he doesn't get his shooting fix.
It is rare for me to go to the range (which Zeke's cousin owns) and not find Zeke and his brother there. They always shoot multiple rifles, most of which carry less than expensive optics, but they always make the long range gongs sing!
Optics are everything.
So Butts, I am a born and raised Westerner who lives and breaths hunting, yet I can honestly say that I have never owned a rifle topped with optics that cost me more than the rifle.
(IYO, I obviously don't belong here?)

IMHO, Optics are NOT everything.
They are only as good as the rifle they are guiding, thus the rifle (and it's function) are the primary focus of my attention and finances.
Butt what do I know? :)

I can verify Zeke is grumpy, when he doesn't get his shooting fix.
It is rare for me to go to the range (which Zeke's cousin owns) and not find Zeke and his brother there. They always shoot multiple rifles, most of which carry less than expensive optics, but they always make the long range gongs sing!

So Butts, I am a born and raised Westerner who lives and breaths hunting, yet I can honestly say that I have never owned a rifle topped with optics that cost me more than the rifle.
(IYO, I obviously don't belong here?)

IMHO, Optics are NOT everything.
They are only as good as the rifle they are guiding, thus the rifle (and it's function) are the primary focus of my attention and finances.
Butt what do I know? :)

Bighorn, what do spend on optics? That’s what the post you replied to is stating. Everyone has their own way of doing things. We get there in the end.

Optics I’m meaning finding animals. Sorry, should have clarified better. Optics are for findin’ scopes are for the killin.. I kinda through the thread off track.

Optics I’m meaning finding animals. Sorry, should have clarified better. Optics are for findin’ scopes are for the killin.. I kinda through the thread off track.
OK, That makes more sense. I'm sorry my reading comprehension is sub par, like most of the rest of me.

Yes, my son and I most often work in tandem with him using his Kowa 88 spotter and I use my Swaro 15s on a tripod. He also carries the new Swaro 12 binos so no doubt we have more cash invested in our "Spotting Optics" than in any weapon/scope combo that we carry.

A $2000 set up don't do squat if you can't shoot. Most rifles are capable of far more accuracy than the shooter.
I spent years believing this assertion, wasting time and money trying to make mediocre rifles shoot accurately using handloads, lead-sled and every other trick I could find. I finally broke down and bought an $1800 rifle (CA Ridgline 7 rem mag) with $800 Leopold scope (VX-5HD) that made my wishes come true. I have not tried to put a Fisher Price scope on the Ridgeline, but I have tried to put nice scopes on my mediocre rifles. I truly wish I bought a better rifle sooner. No scope will make a bad rifle shoot true.

I spent years believing this assertion, wasting time and money trying to make mediocre rifles shoot accurately using handloads, lead-sled and every other trick I could find. I finally broke down and bought an $1800 rifle (CA Ridgline 7 rem mag) with $800 Leopold scope (VX-5HD) that made my wishes come true. I have not tried to put a Fisher Price scope on the Ridgeline, but I have tried to put nice scopes on my mediocre rifles. I truly wish I bought a better rifle sooner. No scope will make a bad rifle shoot true.

I would agree to an extent especially with regards to optics. We've always used Leupold VX scopes which are a good middle of the road scope. But we have a few $2000 +/- guns that will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with extensive reloading and a few $500 guns that will shoot MOA with factory ammo. I regrettably sold an old 22" Husky in 7mm mag that would shoot 1" groups all day long with 160 gr Accubonds. I guess it's just about finding a rifle that wants to shoot. Sort of like wine, you can spend $100 a bottle but the average Joe won't know the difference between that and a $20 bottle.

beyond glass, where "high end" scopes separate themselves from the others are in dialing. i cant recall the exact data off the top of my head but in summary the further you get away from the center of the scope, so for round numbers you have 100 moa in a scope and zero is at 50, as you dial to the extents of that you are not truly getting moa adjustment with inferior internals. again, not exact data but let say i click at the center 3rd truly is 1/4" then as you move out it can grow to 3/8" or 1/2"

so yeah, if your not going to dial whatever. if you think your going to push the scope to its limits and you really want to know every adjustment is accurate it may matter to you

above is the primary reason for moa bases. add 20 moa base and when your dialing up your actually getting closer to the center of the scopes internal and have more accurate movements

Is this considered cheating? Found the rifle I wanted! Over 2k. Traded in 2 rifles for it, net outlay $1049. Browning Hells-Canyon-Long-Range-McMillan-Left-Handed. Researched the H out of scopes. Choices narrowed to Zeiss, Swarovski, and Leupold. Went with Zeiss Conquest V4. Over $1200. Sold bunch of other hunting stuff! Net outlay $440. Had a gunsmith buy scope mounts and mount scope $100. Total $1589. Just had chance to shoot it. Rounds 10, 11, and 12. Factory ammo. Sure I pulled that one shot!
D47C1B8E-7F50-4D82-95A3-5026509C2CD0.jpeg

I echo what has been said. Buy the latest tikka, (muzzle break/cerakote) call Mesa/greyboe and buy their aftermarket stock and put a VX5 with Firedot and your golden. (More like 2500)

Cheap scope alot better Bino's Can't shoot em if you don't see them.
Why not save back a little beer money and buy a really nice BOTH?

A good scope and binos will last for decades and a guy will never regret.

Zeke

I understand wanting to own the best. Boys and their toys. Although this is not what this thread is about, what about hunting skills. How about getting off the ridges and into forest and do some hunting. A decent rifle and scope will work well at -200 yds. with more kills and less lost animals than at 500+ yds. And it is far more enjoyable to be hunting than to be sitting and watching. in my opinion.

I understand wanting to own the best. Boys and their toys. Although this is not what this thread is about, what about hunting skills. How about getting off the ridges and into forest and do some hunting. A decent rifle and scope will work well at -200 yds. with more kills and less lost animals than at 500+ yds. And it is far more enjoyable to be hunting than to be sitting and watching. in my opinion.
Never owned the best at in any point of my life._@gunnihunter I have killed more deer with a rifle under 300 yards than over.
I started this thread.. years ago it seems.
IYHO, what’s this thread about?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom