2006 / 2007 alaska trip

30inchbuck

Looking to get up there in either 2006 or 2007.

Want to hunt Moose / Caribou.

Wanting an outfitted / semi guided trip.

14 to 16 day trip would be great.

Want a great hunt but have no idea on what area to start looking at.

Would probably want a limited entry unit. Main persuit would a moose.

Then maybe hunt caribou with a bow for a couple of days then rifle for two days.

First what area would have better chance at a both with a good moose.

Second need some names of outfitters. Would like to get in contact with them now and start planning.

30in., call JEREMY DAVIS OF LAKE COUNTRY LODGE.. HE PRODUCES RESULTS.. MOOSE, BOU, BOTH BEARS. HE IS OUT OF PORT ALWORTH. HE HUNTS THE LAKE CLARK AREA.... GREAT FISHING ALSO. 907-781-2245. TAKE ER EASY, YD. ( HE BOOKS UP EARLY ).

30in,
i understand the squirrel river drainage up close to Kotzubue is great for both moose and bou. Joe Hardy hunts there. i havent hunted with him but i have fished with him twice and know a few that have hunted under his direction. all had good trips. I am planning on hunting w him soon. Joe is out in camp now. e-mail his wife Billie @ [email protected]. he is good guy. he is on the Brown bear committee for the kenai peninsula. he owns his own plane and will take you out in it so maybe that will cut out the need for some expenses. I have been up in his plane over the kenai wildlife refuge. what an awesome deal!
good luck

30 in buck, OMIT MY #1 POST. THIS OUTFITTER JUST WENT SOUTH, BIG TIME OVER BOOKING, LACK OF ORGANIZATION, SPREAD TO THIN, NO RESOURCES, AND DID NOT LIVE UP TO BOOKING STANDARDS. TURNED INTO A GREED THING/ PROMISIS NOT KEPT. THE PARTY I KNOW JUST GOT BACK, WONT BOOK AGAIN. THINGS CHANGE, YD.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-04 AT 06:14PM (MST)[p]How is it going with your quest to find a place to hunt moose and caribou?

I do not envy you trying to sort out what to do.

Also,I do not know if I can be of help to you, but I will tell you what I think I know.
First you are doing a good thing by looking so far ahead. The next thing I would do is just get some prices for guided hunts for moose and see if that fits your budget, and focus on the moose if you are going guided.

Guides generally have small areas to hunt when you compare their guide use area to the size of area where caribou roam. There is no gaurntee caribou will be in the guide use area when you are there hunting moose. So, if you are going guided. Just concentrate on Moose. If you get done early and there are caribou in the area most all guides will acomodate you, and most all of them have tags availible in the field.

Once you have decided on guided or a drop hunt, you are on your way to sorting out your options.

In any case----plan to hunt for at least 10 days for moose.

One final commment for now. "Limited entry" areas to hunt in Alaska may imply "good" hunting but more often the case is that the area has been "restricted" due to an unhealthy population of wildlife.

Good luck

Mike McCrary
Alaska Bush Sports
http://www.alaskabushsports.com

Is there anyway to do any hunting at the end of July? I would prefer bear or caribou, but even some waterfowl or wolf,coyote,fox would be good. My father-in-law recently expressed some interest in visiting Alaska. I would like to do a couple days of fishing (1 for halibut and one for salmon), then do some site seeing, and possibly some hunting. If not, it will have to be another trip.

Moose Sheds

DO any of you guys from Alaska hunt for Moose sheds, and if so when do they start dropping their horns? Would love to see some pictures.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom