2006 Hunting Harvest video clips

I could be totally wrong on this, cause its hard to tell the angle, but it looked like there were some pretty irresponsible shots taken on that first muley. With him running and all the does around, I think I would have passed on those shots. Maybe the angle of the shooter was very different from the camera. If that is the case, you can disregard my comment.

Great shots on the antelope bucks though.

The shot angles were different for the shooter, the buck was clear of any other deer for each shot. I was about 35 yards to the side of the shooter. The second shot would have finished him but the bullet struck a fence wire and ricocheted, you can here it fly off.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-06 AT 10:30AM (MST)[p]Here are two more muley bucks that didn't make the video. The first is of Allen, Jordan's dad with a 5 X 6 with a busted G3 on the left side.

Montana-2006small42.jpg

Next is my buck, and older buck on the downhill side of antler growth. He was a 5 X 7 without much tine length.

Montana-2006small52.jpg

Here is a group shot of all the Muleys together.

GroupShot2006.jpg

And last are stills of our Wyoming pronghorns.

100_2130s.jpg

100_2142s.jpg

Geez.....Nice shooting on MT buck 1. Heard lots of shooting, saw one shot in the front leg and one in the AZZ....good work.
Second, congrats to the young kid for making a good shot, however it appered to me unless i have suddenly become color blind that there was no hunter orange in that episode. That is a requirement whether we like it or not....

>buck hunter #2 seems to missing
>a key component of clothing...

You mean the one shooting the "center of the screan" buck?

-DallanC

thanks for sharing those. the guys i hunt with video as many of our hunts as we can. they are so much fun to watch, and i really like seeing other guys hunts as well. i hope people will always write out the stories because i love reading them, but watching videos of the hunt is just awsome! thanks again.

Yes, Jordan left his hunter orange in the truck. This was the last of the four bucks taken and it was the evening of the third day. All the adults were tagged out and we had removed our hunter orange. This buck was glassed in his bed from a ridge top from 1800 to 2000 yards away. Jordan and his dad grabbed a rifle, day pack, and binoculars and headed out after the buck. The stalk was about 1 1/2 hours with the last 75 yards covered by belly crawling. I have close to 1/2 hour of video of the stalk, and almost ran out of video tape. I shortened it for the harvest clips I posted. It wasn't until after the shot, while we were shooting the post harvest footage, that we realized Jordan wasn't wearing his hunter orange. He had been wearing it for 2 3/4 days, but failed to have it on for this final stalk. Still a phenomenal stalk for a 14 year old, and to roll the buck over in his bed and have it on video makes for some great memories.

I knew somebody would point out or notice the lack of hunter orange on this kids stalk when I posted the video, but it is still a great accomplishment and I don't think this oversight should diminish or take away from his experience.

Why is there always someone that can't mind his own buisness on this site. There is always some A hole on every post correcting something. All the goody goodies need to give it a break. Orange or no orange whats it to anyone but the guy hunting.

>I knew somebody would point out
>or notice the lack of
>hunter orange on this kids
>stalk when I posted the
>video, but it is still
>a great accomplishment and I
>don't think this oversight should
>diminish or take away from
>his experience.

I doesn't, just a reflection of his mentor and obvious illegal actions. He made a great shot and congrats to him. Some good video on some of those harvests and not so much on others.

Thanks for the share.

hey bigole, The problem is its the fffffin law!!! Its everybodys business!! I guess I'm a ahole!!! From the way it was posted, sounded like a reminder to wear your orange and thats it!

Well, regardless of of any do's or dont's, I appreciate the time spent to video the Hunt and put it up for us to watch! I can totally see why the guy missed a few times on the big Buck, I know I was looking at horns the whole time!!!

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

Mrclyde are you a officer or just a guy looking at a video on the computer? Come on, a reminder! If its the law then he knows about it and if not thats his problem not yours! I for one can watch a video or look at a picture without trying to pick it apart looking for something wrong with it or with what someone does wrong.

I d@mn sure don't have a computer badge. Pretty sure you don't either.

I am just like many who feel its the law!! I also think it was a good video and hope to see more of this. When you have kids and I have four, as a father the safety issue seems to highlight itself!

<Why is there always someone that can't mind his own buisness> <on this site. There is always some A hole on every post> <correcting something. All the goody goodies need to give it a> <break. Orange or no orange whats it to anyone but the guy> <hunting.>

Well, lets see. If you visit a website looking at countless posts by other people, you really aren't minding your own business either are you??? Secondly, your comment on orange or no orange what ist to anyone but the guy hunting. SO if a guy goes out and shoots 3-4 trophy deer a year, its no big deal and its his own business since he is "the guy hunting"? Come on, its still against the law.

As was noted, it was just a reminder that next time you need to pay attention. I congratulate the youngster on a fine shot.
I actually have more issue with the pi$$ poor shooting on some of the vids...

It matters, because our hunting heritage depends on it. Keep up the good work and let's see how long it takes PETA and other to take away our privileges! Bottom line is hunting ethics are a joke, and few people have any. It's time more hunters take the stand and do the right thing.

While these videos show some exciting hunts, two are very disturbing. What happened to waiting for a clean kill shot? The first deer was obviously running closer to the hunter. Why didn't he wait? He didn't because shooting an animal was his only goal. It shows no respect for the animal that you are about to harvest.

The last video is the most disturbing. Here a young hunter has just learned that, as a matter of convenience, its ok to hunt illegally. Again, this shows the only goal is to shoot an animal.

Gee, I wonder way so many land owners keep kicking people off their properties.

After getting ripped a new one on the internet I bet you don't let anyone forget their orange anymore. On a side note if I had video of me or someone else doing something illegal no matter how small it may seem I probably wouldn't put it out on the WWW for everyone to see.

Some very serious poor shooting any way you look at it after what looks like someone herded the deer to the shooter. Then you show a blatent law violation and try to justify it because you had to get out of the PU fast. A perfect set of what people gripe about. I ask questions to get different perspectives, but this is absolute garbage from several different angles. I am constantly amazed at what some people are proud to show off.

I have to agree crappy shooting and its not responsible in my opinion. Shooting at an animal with is running/trotting is not responsible. I wouldnt be proud of making all of those misses. Otherwise it looked like a great hunt. I am not too concerned with the lack of hunter orange.

Hey somebody want to actually post the montana fish and game rule on hunter orange. I'm sure everyone is right that it is required, but let's be 100 percent sure before we hammer the guy.

At least he got out of the truck before he shot the buck. He could have drove up on it at night, hit the spotlight, and been on property he didn't have permsission to be on. We all have to be responsible when it comes to doing what we love to do!!! Hunting rules vary by region, but you have to follow the rules. No excuses!!!

I believe it was MTMILLER that replied to a different post about the "circumstances" surrounding a certain kill. I was actually the "bad guy" that "highlighted" the circumstances in that post. He (mtmiller) admited to making mistakes in life, I too have done so, but the important point that he brought to light as did somone else about this post is by posting, or even bragging about the mistakes that were made shows alot about the character of a sportsman. "what some people will brag about" is right.
Lets emphasise to our youth what they learned in hunter safety. S A F E T Y.

bittersweetmuleymeat

Wyoming Antelope tag ------ $224.00
Montana Deer tag ---------- $343.00
Motels and Gas ------------ $468.00
Canon GL2 Camcorder ------- $2450.00

Having an arse you could throw a cat through, after being reemed by the MonsterMuleys ethics and regulations police about my video post,

Priceless

Smokepole don't worry about it to much. 90% of the people on here are morons who couldn't hunt thier way out of a wet paper sack. With or with out orange.

Teaching our youth its ok to be unsafe and break the law as long as you get a buck..... Now THATS priceless!

It seems black and white to me. Just because you spent some $ means its ok to break the law? You're not changing my opinion with your pocket change. Heck, It would be great if you spent ALL your $ in another state besides Mt. There isnt any big bucks here anyway, they killed the last one at the mine.

bittersweetmuleymeat

DUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!! Give it a rest you were wrong by almost everyones standard and flat broke the law. The poor shooting was just a issue to highlight the illegal actions though it was not illegal. You only justify peoples ridicule by not just facing up to it. You brought it on yourself by posting the video so please don't hate. I think what most bothers people is the position you obstensibly continue to stick to. If you think you can justify your actions or lack thereof call up MT Department of Game, provide your information and video then let them make the decision. Then you can post what they decided to do about it. If you choose to disclose the information and post their reply please include the persons full name you talked to. Enough for now just waiting for their reply.......

some of the responses to this video are completely out of line:

not wearing hunter orange is poor "ethics"??? are you serious? Wearing, or not wearing, hunter orange is not a matter of hunting "ethics" The hunter orange laws are just another example of the govt putting its fingers in to "protect us from ourselves". It is a law just like motorcycle helmets, or the banning of trans-fats. What next, are we going to ban twinkies??

Not even all states require hunter orange, so is it "ethical" to not where orange in that states that do not require it, but "unethical" to not wear it in the states that require it?? Come on. I hunted in idaho this year, and did not wear it, because Idaho does not reqiuire it, I am "unethical"????

Hunter orange is a feel good law. Over half of all hunting injuries are self inflicted; only a very minute percentage of total accidents are situations where one person shoots another person because they did not see them. And, the vast majority of those are shotgun related, not with rifles. These are facts, it is not conjecture. There has been a farily dramatic drop in firearms accidents over the years, but that is because of the mandatory hunter education laws. Mandatory hunter education laws are good laws because they teach you how to be responsible so you do not hurt SOMEONE else (in addition to yourself). Laws are needed to protect people from people; laws are not needed to protect ourselves from ourselves; last time I checked, this was supposed to be the US, I do not need the govt telling me what articles of clothing I am "allowed" to wear and which ones I am not.

Is hunter orange a good idea??? Sure, and it should be taught to wear it. Should the govt be mandating what I am allowed to wear and not wear??? NO.

And connecting PETA to hunter orange?? that one I really do not get. Do you think PETA is going to get political traction because hunters are not wearing their hunter orange?? PETA gets traction because you are KILLING the animal for your own personal pleasure so you can look at horns (yes, that is right, veryfew of us, really need the meat). Obviously, the game depts in Idaho and other states that do not require hunter orange, are not too worried about the PETA connection.

I will agree that it is the law, and at the end of the day, you have to follow the law. But not wearing your hunter orange is minor infraction. For all of you law nazi's out there, my guess is that over the years you have broken plenty of minor rules, it is next to impossible. You have never went over the speed limit driving to your hunt?? I could go on and on, but I don't care how "ethical" you are, you are going to make some minor mistakes once in awhile.

Lastly, so when was taking a shot at a running deer "unethical"??? You can't be serious as to think that is unethical? I would venture a guess, that at least half the deer shot are moving to one degree or another. And, who knows why those deer were running towards the hunters, I have had deer do all kinds of wild things. The majority of those shots on those animals were farily quick, clean kills.

If you watch the video, there is one shot that, from the angle of the camera, looks like a doe could have been behind the buck, but after the video is done, you realize the shooter is quite a ways to the left of the camera, if you go back and look, you then realize that the doe, from that angle, was not behind th buck.

From the sounds of it,from your definition, it is only ethical to shoot a deer when it is standing still, is all by itself, and when you can kill it with one shot??? Deer hunting is messy.....sometimes you miss, sometimes you wound them, and it takes a few more shots......I think the main problem here is that you had one animal that was taken a little messy, and that makes people's stomachs turn a little, and makes you confront the brutality of hunting. It is not always, clean, one kill shots, from 150 yds. When you shoot a deer like that, the actual fact of killing the animal is somewhat removed and makes you feel less guilty.

That buck was well within what would be regarded as appropriate range for shooting at an animal that is on the move. He took his time, missed a couple of times, hit it once, and finished it off quickly after that. That scene is played out hundreds and hundreds of times throughout the west, and i would have hard time believing that the MT dept of game would find that unethical.

"is it "ethical" to not where orange in that states that do not require it, but "unethical" to not wear it in the states that require it??"...................At the very least its aginst the law, which is a good reason not to brag about it on the World Wide Web.

"only a very minute percentage of total accidents are situations where one person shoots another person because they did not see them"..................EXACTLY!!!!, guess the hunter orange thing is working!!

"There has been a farily dramatic drop in firearms accidents over the years, but that is because of the mandatory hunter education laws. Mandatory hunter education laws are good laws because they teach you how to be responsible so you do not hurt SOMEONE else (in addition to yourself)".......Unless of course you spend a little money in the state, then its ok to disregaurd the law?

"From the sounds of it,from your definition, it is only ethical to shoot a deer when it is standing still, is all by itself, and when you can kill it with one shot???"...............Hey, thats an amazing concept, a stationary target clear of other obstructions/animals/people and within the comfortable range of your firearm. They oughta teach that in hunter safety. (you know that class that teaches you how to be a responsible hunter)

"i would have hard time believing that the MT dept of game would find that unethical."............I know for CERTAIN they would!Feel free to prove me wrong.

bittersweetmuleymeat

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-06 AT 10:58AM (MST)[p]You guys and your ethics this and ethics that. Watch the video and shut the he// up! I bet some of you guys wear orange to church on suday.

One thing that has always gave me a chuckle, is how people speak of respect. "Out of respect for the animal, I want a quick kill". Respect? You show respect by killing it? No. You show respect by letting it live. You may respect the animals ability to outwit you, it's rugged lifestyle or it's wild beauty. The act of taking a life of anything shows not a drop of respect. However you show skill, the ability to keep yourself calm, the effectiveness of the weapon and a degree of luck when you get a quick one-shot kill. Death is not pretty. I also find it interesting how we as hunters have found it more PC to speak of 'harvesting' animals. I guess killing is a form of harvesting. But I tend to think of a field of corn when the term harvest is used.

Poor shooting? Not sure. No hunter orange, don't care. That's your call. Not mine or anybody else's. I sincerely hope nothing comes of it. As I'm sure the hundreds of people that have watched your video feel also. The ones that have voiced their opinion feel strongly about wearing it. Good for them. I chose to wear it myself. I often think about not wearing it. But those that scream ethic's or the lack there of, don't fully understand what being ethical means. As stated time and time again, we all operate with a different ethical meter. I find it very easy to applaud or condemn someone with out knowing the full story.

Thanks you for the time and effort you put into the video clips. If you have more hunting clips, I would love to see them.

'It's all about the gut pile'

I dont go to church on SUDAY. I watched the video and was dissapointed and I voiced that dissapointment and the reasons why. Along with praise, came several opinions on what people felt was wrong (or unethical) about this situation.
At what point do you, Bigole say ... OK THAT VIDEO IS UNETHICAL, or UNSAFE, or ILLEGAL which detracts from the videos overal representation of a true sportsman. I dont think the lack of orange was a huge deal, I did fell the lack of remorse or embarrasment of how our kids are taught was unnaceptable.
So the disregard for the "400 sq " of hunter orange" didnt seem to detract from the video for you. At what point would breaking the law do so for you? Shooting from the highway, after dark, out of season? Talk to me....

bittersweetmuleymeat

I watched a video. I wasn't there, I pesonally don't care if he wears orange. We each choose what we do and how we do it. Orange or no orange. They made a choice and it was their risk not ours. You may regard all laws the same but I guess I don't see orange being that big of deal. In my home state they do not require orange. I personally don't see the need for a law that requires you wear orange. I don't think that wearing orange makes you an ethical hunter it only makes you look funny.

Makes you look "funny"?, thats funny. In essence what you are saying is you can choose what YOU want to do, with total disregard for the law, because you dont think the particular law is necissary? Very interesting.
I tried (unsuccesfully) once to revive a man who had been shot in the chest in a hunting related incident. I wasnt involved initially but met his hunting partner leaving the scene frantically begging for help. I feel quite certain if the victim would have been wearing the required orange, his partner very well may have seen he was in his line of sight, he would not have fired, and he would be alive today.
If graffic is what it takes to get my point across, consider trying to blow life into somones mouth for nearly 1/2 hr while holding their nasal passage with one hand and trying to put pressure on the wound to stop bleeding and keep the air you are blowing into his mouth from escaping through the bullet wound with the other hand. Although his blood stained my face and hands, I was able to wash it off, Im sure the hunter that pulled the trigger will feel HIS hands are stained with his freinds blood for eternity.
I NEVER (and I mean NEVER) let my children out of the vehicle to hunt without having them wear thier orange. The last thing we need is somone telling them they look "funny"
I can assure you, there is nothing "funny" about a death that very well may have been prevented.
By the way, the gentleman I tried to revive left behind a wife, three young children and a hunting partner that has to live with what happened that day for the rest of his life.

bitterseetmuleymeat

Ok yes a couple cool ones, so I have to wade back in. Not on the original smokepole but bigole. Bigole please answer the question of when and at what point do you finally say "ok now that is illegal". Take your personal opinion about the law or lack of law and simply answer the question. At what point or violation of the law do you feel you would say something contrary to the persons actions. Bigole forget about the fact that many people break the law. Hell I have. It still relates back to the fact this person actually bragged about it and allowed his son to break the law. Now I have and continue to put my foot in my boys butts for stupid suff (yes including law violations) they do. Reality is I am actually happy they never have done half the stuff I did almost every day. So does that mean I will teach them how to do stupid stuff. NO, and it is a no brainer to most what you teach your children regardless of age.

Ok guys heres the deal. Your getting it all wrong. I am not saying it's ok to break the law. if indeed the state i live in required i wear orange i would. I am saying the guy puts a video on a hunting site and everyone goes nutty. He did this or did that wrong! good he//!!! It's not that i have no regard for the law. It just gets real old reading some of the comments that come on almost every post. Everyone is perfect behind a computer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom