2008 Mule deer stories/pics?

BlueMountainAdventures

Hey guys/gals, just wanted to know how everyones 2008 deer season went. As I am writing this, the snow is all melting rapidly here in NE Oregon. I was getting concerned as it was melting, then freezing. But anyhow, we had a great 2008 for big bucks. But..overall numbers seem VERY down. We hunted in Lookout Mountain, and Mt Emily Late Rut hunt. I dont know how to resize the pics to post them on here, or I would. Lookout Mtn produced a nice 30" wide 4x4 for us, and Mt Emily produced a nice 7x7 buck. The Mt Emily buck was @ 4.5 years old! Cant wait to find his daddy this year! Lets see stories/pics of 2008!

Bob Staples

Bob,
PM me as to what you charge for the Mt emily hunt. I have the points to draw it. Friend is going to video hunt. I have waited patiently and long to amass the points for the best OR has to provide as far as our dwindling mule deer.
Richard

Bob,Did you do any scouting after your hunter filled at mt Emily? See any more that were interesting?
Richard

Congragulations to you and your clients on a good season. This was my first year muzzleloader hunting, and was it a great one. Shot this buck on the second to last day of the season. We spotted him bedded down late morning, made a plan to move in on him. While we were making a plan, a grouse hunter went around the side of the hill we were planning to sneak around. So instead, my hunting partner said "lets go to the left of the hill, the grouse hunter will spook that buck right to us." So I went high, he went low, not 5 minutes later, while looking through my bino's at some brush, antlers pass through the lenses. There is the buck trotting from right to left, at about 120 yards. I drop down, put down the bipod, take aim, CLICK!! My cap wasnt seated good enough!! A quick re-pull of the hammer, and I try again. BOOM!! He was 150 yards away, and I led him a deer and a half, hit him right in the lungs!! I saw him slow to a walk through the smoke, then fall over dead, not 10 yards from where I hit him. This is my biggest buck to date, and first animal with a smokepole. I am hooked on muzzleloader hunting.

Before. . .
ghhhhhhhhh.jpg

After. . .
HPIM0397.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-09 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]Yes, I went out later. Saw some dandy bucks. Rut was actually late, contrary to what others thought. I have 9 points, I am trying to draw it! (doubt I will have enough) It is lacking on deer numbers, but once the rut got in full swing, more and more big bucks showed up. AMAZING where these bucks hide during regular season. Go to my website for the pictures. I cant post them on here....lame, huh?

Bob Staples
Blue Mountain Adventures

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-09 AT 09:33PM (MST)[p]Congrats!!! Good for you! I LOVE trophy mule deer hunting! I am an elkaholic, BUT........BIG BIG mulies are addicting!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-09 AT 06:19PM (MST)[p]hey rob whats that you shooting there, can't tell if its a remington Genesis or a knight?....

nice buk by the way!

Thanks, its actually a traditions pursuit northwest edition. Specially made for the western states that require open ignition. Ive found it to be very accurate out to 150 yards.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-09 AT 11:24AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-09 AT 11:20?AM (MST)

Here is a pic of my son and I on the ranch in Joseph this past deer season. Hunted up around Red Hill LO for the week, didnt see much...but alot of hunters. Decided to go and get a alfalfa fed whitey.

Mr. Butterfield and my son. He leases our land
497a09e9235a6464.jpg

My son and I
497a0a6f27e29f70.jpg

Mrs. Butterfield and her buck
497a0b0e2b1ce5ed.jpg

497a0b5c2d426104.jpg

muleyman

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-09 AT 09:53PM (MST)[p]got this guy the first day of season. shot it out of a blind.
scouted his group for about a month.
497fe4887500a7b5.jpg

I got this guy in eastern Oregon this year.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Got him on my trail cam before the season started.

4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom