2008 Regulations

Got the Big Game Booklet with the stickers on Friday.....the actual regs usually don't come out for another month. Deadline is June 2nd this year.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I like getting the booklet...it's cool to see what class of deer are being taken out of the premium areas. I'm planning on G-3 this year....so it's nice to see what was taken there the year before!! HaHa. I'm sure I'll be stuck hunting A zone again as usual.

Steve

Nothing in the mail so far. I went down to WalMart and picked up a couple, along with new licenses and deer tag applications.

Same here Steve. I was'nt looking toooo forward to gettin them though. The $235 I just spent a few weeks ago in NV is still fresh on my mind. And I dont even get to hunt there.

Probably start picking up cans soon :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Hey Steve,

I have not received mine yet.. Maybe this week.. I hope.
I am also planning on hunting in G3 this year.. I'll probably see you there. Got to think positive.. right???

Jim

Hey Jim...Maybe we should start planning our trip now. I'll buy the maps, you call F & G and we'll get the ball rolling. If we do all the preparation now....there's no way they won't give us a tag. I'll call 'em and let 'em know we're getting ready for the upcoming hunt!! Do you think that'll work?

Steve

Mine came in on Monday. Lots of material packed in that booklet. i always debate with myself beforehand where to apply for the different critters available...and end up putting in for the same old places. Still looking for one of those "mithical" tags.

The last decent tag I drew was about 15 years ago. My Dad and I drew X-12 tags and got skunked. I missed the biggest buck I'd ever seen in California. I had buck fever like crazy. I look back on it and still get pissed off about it. I was still a kid....but had hunted enough and shot enough deer to know how to calm down before a shot. I just got excited and jerked! Maybe one of these days I'll hit the jackpot and draw a G-3 tag. It will eventually happen, Joey. Just keep applying.

Steve

Steve, Man, that bites that you got the fever on your big chance. Things happen, been pretty lucky that way myself but i've been known to get all shook up AFTER the deed is done. Few years ago, a bud had gotten a good look, but no shot, at a buck in his morning hunt that he figured i had shot while i was returning to camp around noon. He heard my shot and actually was going to beat me to the kill site. All the while i was trying to navigate up a steep slide area to get there, he was above me in the rocks heading the same way, telling me how huge this buck is, "way over book", "joey, he's a monster!" "You just killed by far you're best buck" stuff like that. I got so excited, so happy, elated, estatic, whatever, that i suddenly had to sit on something fast or fall down. Every bit of strength i had just up and left me.

When he got to my buck he said, "Joey, sorry man, this ain't the same buck"

I could have killed him... if i didn't love the guy. lol

joey

Thats too funny! Definately not the time for him to be joking around like that. That time in X-12 was the last time I really got buck fever. I think mentally it made me realize what can happen when you allow it to take hold of you. I think there are different degrees of buck fever. I think we all get butterflys when we have that animal in our scope but if you don't get that, why hunt any longer? I also think the older you get, you've got more kills under your belt and it almost becomes old hat. Go through the same motions everytime, think the same thoughts, breathe the same way, etc.

Steve

Steve, yes yes to everything you've said. All we can do is prepare ourselves and hope we don't get too shook up when all the money is in the pot.

Certain things just change a guy. I saw the most beautiful woman i've seen in years the other day, in our small town that ain't easy, and then i ended up talking to her for awhile, top notch all the way. I got a terrible case of buck fever, and she got away! lol

joey

>Hey Jim...Maybe we should start planning
>our trip now. I'll buy
>the maps, you call F
>& G and we'll get
>the ball rolling. If we
>do all the preparation now....there's
>no way they won't give
>us a tag. I'll call
>'em and let 'em know
>we're getting ready for the
>upcoming hunt!! Do you think
>that'll work?
>
>Steve

Hi Steve,

I called F&G and told them you and I would take two of the tags for G3. I also told them not to bother putting us in for the draw as we were sure that we wanted that zone, so sure in fact that you had already purchased maps and that we were going to make plans to only hunt in that zone. I hope you don't mind but I told the nice F&G lady that we would not even apply for A zone tags. That must have made her happy because she sounded like that really put her in a good mood. She was kind of laughing. I think she must get a lot of calls from hunters that are unsure of where they want to hunt and it must make her job easier when hunters like you and I know exactly where.. when.. and are willing to plan their hunt early.
So.. Looks like were in.

Jim

AFTER TALKING TO 12-15 LOCALS ABOUT G-3 KALI HUNT, THEY TELL ME THAT THE NORMAL TROPHY ANIMALS THAT THEY USED TO SEE HAVE FALLEN OFF IN NUMBERS. A VARIETY OF FACTORS ARE TO BLAME, & WITH OUT SNOW/WEATHER ITS JUST A GOOD BUCK HUNT AT BEST. I HAVE HAD A COUPLE FRIENDS DRAW G3 IN THE LAST 4 YEARS, WITH NO WEATHER AN IT WAS SLIM PICKINGS AT BEST. I WOULD STILL LIKE TO TRY IT ONCE, BUT I WONT TREAT IT LIKE THE HOLY GRAIL THAT IT ONCE WAS......YD.

Jim- I really like how you stepped up and gave up my A zone tag. Don't you know those things are hard to come by??!! HaHa. If it were only that easy to get a G3 tag there'd be no deer left!

YD- Yes, the word is that the quality of deer has gone down a bit. And yes, I hear if the weather doesn't hit, the deer are few and far between. It would be really disappointing to draw the tag and not see the quality of deer the area is known for. Let me ask you this...if not G3 then where would you be putting in for? A zone??!! HaHa

Steve

YD- I wasnt being a smart ass....it was a serious question! I've thought about getting a false birth Certificate and trying for the Round Valley Junior hunt. I think I can shave 20 years off my face so I look 16!! How is the Anderson Flat hunt or the Kern River hunt? Do you know anything about them?

Steve

>Jim- I really like how you
>stepped up and gave up
>my A zone tag. Don't
>you know those things are
>hard to come by??!! HaHa.
>If it were only that
>easy to get a G3
>tag there'd be no deer
>left!
>Steve

Hey Steve,

It was the least I could do.. Like I told that nice lady at F&G.. We would be happy to give up those premium "A" zone tags for those G3 tags in a area that just might not have very many deer. I mean isn't that what real sportsman do? Of course it is... By the way I still have not received my '08 regs yet..
Have you?

Jim

Jim- still waiting ..... was F&G going to overnite them? I'm sure they are on their way!

Steve

Hi Steve,

I hope they show up soon. I much prefer to to send in the applications with the stickers they provide in the package. but we probably don't need them anyway right? Since we already have the G3 tags... Jim

You boys have it all wrong......I'm drawing that tag two years in a row....I can FEEL it! :)

BOHNTR )))---------->

BOHNTR- I saw your G3 deer from last year and you don't deserve another tag!! HaHa. Just kidding...you shot a good one. I hope to draw it before I'm too old to walk! I'm 36 now...and old age is creeping up soon. Before I know it, I'll be as old as BESSY!

Steve

Did anyone else notice all those damn kids that were taking all those nice 4 or 5 point bucks? I would kill to get a deer like that let alone see one.

"damn kids" wtheck!
YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY THAT THEY HUNT AND CLOBBER THEM BRUTES! They still do not have the same chances as some with max pts...
I say cut more tags to give it to them jrs..... better chances at the draw and increase elk and antlope tags and give them to those "damn kids".
What you don't think they earn those deer?
rackmaster

Bite your tongue RACKMASTER!! Let those kids wait their turn. I've only got 30 years left to hunt....they've got 50!! HaHa.

BOHNTR- If I get drawn for G3, I'd drive down to your house to get the info you've got. I know you know your stuff. I'm hoping to be sending that pm come the end of June! Thanks for the offer.

Steve

I'm just saying there gona get spoiled I dont know anyone that takes those caliber of bucks let alone a kid

I know what you mean 270. The reason I haven't shot anything bigger than 140"s is because if I shoot a real monster, I may not be able to better him so what is the point of getting up early and walking up all those pesky mountains! Just kidding. Tha tis a good arguement though. Will a kid that shoots a monster his/her first or second season think that it will be that good every year and when it is not, will they give it up because they don't see or understand the true reward of hunting? Man, that sounded philisophical!

Steve

>Jim- still waiting ..... was F&G
>going to overnite them? I'm
>sure they are on their
>way!
>
>Steve

FINALLY!!! Mine came yesterday.. How about yours Steve?

Hey Steve.. Since we already have the G3 tags should I go ahead and call that nice lady again at F&G and ask her to send along a couple of Elk tags as well??? Do you have any preference which Elk hunt? Grizzly Island? Lone Pine? Maybe Lone Pine since we are going to be hunting deer in G3 anyway..

did you see the smiles on all those young faces ? and all those hunts are any deer..Soooooooo here's my take on kids and monster bucks......ready?
its not the kids killing those big bucks..its there greedy dads
making the kids hold out for their brutes... all these kids would be happy with a nice forked horn..but dads put the pressure on them and fill out the apps a put them in the mail.
so its not the child's fault blame the dads...yes I feel you need to put the time, energy, resources, monies, transportation!
KIDS DON'T DO THAT the Dad does...
I got my booklet and went right to the youth hunts for my son who 14 and he could careless until fall...
we just want our children to do well..even spoil them!
so blame me even though I be Ok in GREAT HUNT draw for my son to do the best he can for "him" not me!
jack

So those big smiles are because they finally were "allowed" to shoot a buck! We also need to think of a few senior hunts. I would love a chance to make dad hold out for one of those brutes.

Senior hunts? Too funny! Will there be any tags left for us 36 year old hunters or will they all be allotted to the young and dumb or the old and decrepid?

Steve

>Senior hunts? Too funny! Will there
>be any tags left for
>us 36 year old hunters
>or will they all be
>allotted to the young and
>dumb or the old and
>decrepid?
>
>Steve

Steve, I think they are called AARP hunts or something like that. Supposed to get a membership card and a decoder ring when you turn 50 :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

You guys are making me feel pretty good about being 36!! Whippersnapper? I don't feel like one sometimes. I'm about 15 lbs too heavy and my bones are starting to pop when I get off the couch!! I NEED that G3 tag to get me motivated to get on the treadmill. It's hard to get motivated to get in shape to hunt the A zone's famous public land! Who knows...I may actually see a few does this year.

Steve

HEY STEVE, A WHILE BACK I CAN SAY I FELT THE SAME WAY ABOUT GETTING OFF THE COUCH AND SUCH. I'M 54 AND FEEL LIKE I'M 24 YEARS OLD, I JOINED THE GYM 4 YEARS AGO. I W/O 3 DAYS A WEEK & RIDE A BIKE WHEN TIME ALLOWS,,,,ALLOWING ME TO STAY IN SOME DECENT SHAPE. THAT IS THE KEY....NOT HAVING TO GET IN SHAPE TO HUNT. I THINK GUYS JUST NEED TO BE MOVING/ NOT STAGNANT TO GET THE BENEFIT..............YD.

YD- Ya I know. It is all about the motivation. Working out takes a fraction of the day yet we find a way to put it off and say, I'll do it later. I just have to do it!

Steve

the nice thing about the low amount of bucks taken in G3 the last couple of years is that the amount of bucks should climb in the coming year or two ( cross fingers). The F&G guys said that the doe to buck ratio is still the same as before and the the weather played a big part in the hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom