2012 HAC

waspocrew

I've been a long time fan of this site and I finally decided I should join. I loved reading the 2011 HAC and thought I would keep tabs on my season as well.

I'm originally from Idaho Falls, ID and have been going to Utah State University for 3 years. I'm a Pre-Med major and hope to enter med school in 2014.

I had a blast hunting Utah for the first time last year. I filled my Northern region deer tag and had plenty of fun chasing spike elk. I love the outdoors and hope to spend as much time as possible outside this year!

My time was cut short with my initial post... I decided to try the muzzleloader route this year, so I put in for a General Season muzzy deer tag and also a LE muzzy elk tag as well. I'll most likely put in for a cow elk hunt also. It can get hard to have enough time to hunt during school, but I'm going to try my hardest to make the time necessary to enjoy time outdoors and hopefully fill my tag(s).

I'm definitely slow to update for sure! It's been a pretty exciting year so far and I've really enjoyed the time I've been able to spend outdoors this early spring and summer.

I found a new hobby: SHED HUNTING!
A buddy of mine thought we should try it out and I had a blast!

Here is everything I found this spring:
8472sheds.jpg

Some of my favorites:

8287sheds2.jpg

8512sheds3.jpg

Gotta love views like this:
3174sheds4.jpg

4673sheds5.jpg

I drew my first muzzleloader deer tag and I am super excited to get out and hopefully harvest a buck with a smoke pole this year. I also found out this morning that I drew a cow elk tag, but I'll have to wait a few weeks to find out which unit. So excited for fall to get here! I'll try harder to document this year because I definitely have high hopes for it!

I can't wait for the opener for either of my tags... in the mean time, I've just been trying to practice with my rifles. I've been trying to get out and find some coyotes as well, but no such luck yet. I bought a Savage Model 10 Predator in 22-250 and topped it off with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 and it's done awesome so far. Here are the results of my latest trip to a friend's farm in Wellsville:
7205chuck.jpg

8723chuck1.jpg

I also bought a CVA Optima a couple of months ago and finally had the chance to take it out to the range. I tried open sights and they covered way too much of the target, so I bought a cheap Traditions 1x scope and have been very happy with it.

9811muzzy1.jpg

I haven't worked though a ton of loads yet, but I think I found what it likes: 240 grain XTP inside a HCR sabot on top of 100 grains of T7 powder. I was pretty excited to see this group for my first time shooting 100 yards with it!

8116muzzy.jpg

I'm hoping to get out to the range again soon to try out a few different loads. Muzzleloading has been a blast so far.
I'm going to try chasing some coyotes on the 4th so hopefully I will have a good report to share with you.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom