2012 Idaho Backpack Bull

Outdoordan

Very Active Member
I shot this bull last weekend. I had 2 other backpack trips into the area previously, and decided on this trip I would pack a saw and chair so that I could sit a wallow. After getting to the trail head Friday Night and packing up for the hike in, I ended up chasing a big 6x on the slope that night only 3-400 yards from my truck. I got close, but light faded on me with him coming to me. I stayed right there, but he was gone the next morning. So, I resumed my trip to the wallow which was about 2.5 miles up in a drainage at about 9200'.

I got up there about 10ish in the morning, and set up camp, shot my bow at some stumps, and went down to get some water at the nearby stream. I thought I heard a bugle, or was that just from the jet flying overhead? I had just convinced myself it was the jet and went back to camp with the water. Once there, now I definitely heard a bugle coming from the wallow about 200 yards up from me. I grabbed my bow and snuck up, getting within 30-35 yards of several feeding cows. Turns out there were about 20 cows, but I could only see about 5 of them. I moved slowly up a couple more yards and heard a screaming bugle coming from my left, here he comes up towards me. As he crosses at 20-25 yards, I misjudge the distance and shoot over him! Damn! He trots up into the trees above me, and after a couple of minutes the cows settle back in to grazing. Now, I must say that my worst fear was the wind as it was erratic to say the least, but I never got winded! The bull, being the possessive type, comes back down the hill, this time at 40 yards and this time I was not going to miss! I sent one into his ribcage and he hop/bucks and heads downhill where I can't see him. I creep forward to try and see him and get busted by one of the cows. I remain motionless and she resumes feeding. I sit down for about 15 minutes watching the cows feed around me, finally something spooks them and they all take off. After going back to camp and retrieving some flagging tape and knives, etc. I head back over to start looking for arrow one and possibly number two as it looked like a pass through. Now the elapsed time has been an hour or more, and I walk to the edge to look around. Only 30 yards from the wallow, I see him laying there! 40 yards from the hit!

6872p1030733.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-12 AT 05:24AM (MST)[p]When I started hunting, a long time ago, my Mother would go with me. Sometimes she would hike right along with me, sometimes she would stay in camp. I ate good back then, and we loved going together. We didn't kill much, but always had a great experience. Since then, I have hunted most western states and several countries. Unfortunately, we haven't gone hunting together in 20 years. When I got this bull down, the next morning I packed a hind quarter, a backstrap, and other assorted meat to the truck. I drove into town and called her to come up with her horse. She's always up for an adventure, so she grabbed a friend to ride with and drove up. She used her saddle panniers to pack the next two loads down the main trail, while I ferried meat from above. That is, she hiked a mile on bum knees to help out. So, this bull's for her. Thanks Mom, and thanks for reading.

BTW-Had a big black bear steal most of my second backstrap! Now I am going bear hunting ;)

2692p1030764.jpg

www.hunthardcore.com

Awesome for an archery Idaho Bull!!

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-12 AT 08:12AM (MST)[p]Thanks! I planned on taking the first load out and getting back up to take a second load out. Problem was, my Mom was riding and couldn't get ahold of her for a couple hours. Then an hour and 15 minute drive back up, and a 2 hour hike back in (in a downpour) had me at dark in the rain back at camp. The meat was laid out on logs. Next morning, when I was rudely awakened by a screaming bull 30 feet from my tent, I got up to see the bull and start cutting/packing. The bear was on the meat but heard me in my rain pants. He ran off. Of course he couldn't have eaten on the shoulder, had to be the backstraps...

Should have taken both backstraps out in hindsight, but thought I was going to get that second load out that day. Oh well, I guess the bears have to eat to, too bad I laid the candy out for him.

www.hunthardcore.com

This story has to be fake, There are no elk especially dandy bulls like that left in Idaho:)

Nice job!! Great story!!

Awesome bull! I just got back from a couple days in an Idaho OTC unit and had a great time on my own. Saw a some nice bulls...up close too!

Girly man!!! Momma needs to pack your bull for ya...Just kidding, that's pretty cool you get share that with her. Great bull too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom