2012 sheep hunt in AK

fatherofthree

So I've finally convinced my bro-in-law in Alaska that we're doing the sheep hunt. 2012 is the year.

I need some help though from people that have hunted sheep in Alaska. From your trips tell me the top 3 things you were glad you took/spent the money on and the top 3 things you regret taking/doing.

I've spent a bit of time hunting by backpacking in. Longest I've went living on what I carried in was 7 days hunting elk in New Mexico in September. so I've learned a bit about the value of packing light, but Alaska is whole different game.

Anyway, let me know your experiences and for the record I already have great optics, other advice needed. I just want to start now budgeting and buying some critical things I'll need so it doesn't turn into a $5000 month of spending that might lead to a divorce.

thx

Best - rain gear (Sitka), boots (Lowa Sheep Hunters), treking poles, 700 page book (stuck in tent for 26 hrs straight), patch kit for Therm-a-rest (obvious reason)

Worst - Badlands 4500 (both stays broke - I now use a Mystery Ranch), debating whether a ram is 39" is a sure sign it is not, getting boots wet (we crossed the river when we did not have to and did not take the time to put on our Wiggy waders)

I have my gear list if you'd like. It is a great experience.

would love a gear list BC man. pm me or post here, whatever works.

I think we'll bew 9 or 10 days total of which only six is huntable days, rest is preseason scouting. This is because he has to be back to teach school.

I used the 4500 on my one week trip to new mexico and sold it as soon as I got back. Didn't like it for some reason.

sitka's the way to go uh? What abouT rivers west or ASAT?

Arcteryx rain gear is considerably better than Sitka IMO. Kool Dri bottoms for rain gear - cannot tear them and they are waterproof. Outdoorsmans tripod/Swarovski scope. Hanwag boots. Rivers West beanie. Primaloft sleeping bag. Those are items I could not live without - oh, and my .340...

Tim

Do you have a Weatherby 340 by HighTech or a std. rifle, just curious.

Something to consider as well, make sure your guide has as good of equipment as you do.

340? really? speaking of rifles, I have the following caliber guns on hand:

weatherby 300 mag

oh yeah and my hoyt alphamax.

which would you recommend?

I am planning on shooting my Utah Rocky Bighorn with a bow when I finally draw though. Had the same plan on my Utah desert sheep but gave up after really scouting the country....

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-11 AT 00:39AM (MST)[p]i think you know what you're going to shoot ;)

either the 25 or the 08 would serve very well on the sheep

the 300 weatherby smokes em both obviously...the 340 mentioned is for the possibility of a hostile encounter with a certain horribilis type character

that 300 with a strong 180 gr (good sectional density for caliber) like a partition can work a hell of a lot more medicine on a mad burr than any 25 or 308 load, while quite handily outperforming either for the ram work

there should be at least one task specific weapon in the party anyway, but its good to try to never have to rely on anybody ;)

another consideration is which of your battery is weatherproof...that decision could end up to be pivotal

and get ya some good gore tex of reputable make...the fanboys won't like it, bit i think sitka is overrated, way over priced, and highly underperforming....i certainly wouldn't trust my well being to it anyway

mystery ranch or eberlestock packs, lowa or kenetrek boots, hilleberg or tarptent shelters, snopeak or whisperlite stoves, fleece or wool layers, GOOD SOCKS, etc and so forth

hell, Best Wishes and Good Luck on your trip...go kill a nice OLD dude!! keep us posted on your adventure

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-11 AT 03:43PM (MST)[p]Havalon Knives
4 season tent (Hillberge, Northface, Wildcountry)
Marmot Helium sleeping bag
Thermarest prolite sleeping pad
Jet boil stove or MSR whisperlite stove
Cabelas MT050 raingear
Meindel boots
Swarovski binos and spotter
Barney's Sports Chalet backpack
Gerber Gator folding saw
Rangefinder

Food:
Breakfast: Instant oatmeal, hot chocolate
Lunch: Bagels with Peanutbutter & Jam
Dinner: Mountain House, hot chocolate
Snacks: 2 Cliff bars/day
Drinks: Mix up at least a quart of powdered gatoraide per day.

Read Sheep Hunting in Alaska by Tony Russ before you come.

Practice with your weapon. It doesn't matter how good you are unless you are already an extreme shooter. Nothing worse than months of planning, time and money down the drain on one of the few things in hunting that we can actually control.

I think people tend to over think an AK hunt. Its not a different planet up here, and it doesn't rain nonstop. Temps during hunting season will likely not get below 20 and most likely be in the 40-60?s or warmer. If you can survive for a week long elk/deer backpack trip in the lower 48, odds are you're not going to be miserable or die up here. Most areas of AK are lucky to get 9-12" of precipitation a year, most of which comes during hunting season and as snow later on. There are some really wet hunts on the coast, but for the most part, sheep hunting is in pretty arid areas. Most western states get more precipitaion per year.

The thing that will screw you the most is fog and low clouds.

I've tried quite few different brands of 'breathable' rain gear and, IMO its all junk. You'll get wet and sweat on the inside just as easy as you do with non-breathable stuff. At least with the non-breathable stuff you're only get wet from sweat and not the water that inevitably will soak through. My current go-to gear is made by Outdoor Research. Its cheap, so far tough, and 100% water proof and wind proof.

One spotter is usually all that's needed for a pair of guys. It's not like you're spotting deer in the sage. Sheep stick out like a neon sign and from the distance you'll likely be spotting from? they aren't going to be moving so fast you don't have time to set up a spotter and both have a look.

The number one thing I will never go without is a good set of trekking poles. I have everything under the sun as far as gear goes, and trekking poles are the only thing I could never live without for any sort of backpack mountain hunt. You can pack heavy loads off cliffy crap, save energy/legs while climbing, and stabilize yourself crossing streams.

The second is a quality pair of gators. Outdoor Reserch Crocodiles are the best I've found. With a good pair of boots and quick steps you can cross mid shin streams and not get wet.

Don't double up on gear unless you think you can't live with out it.

My girlfriend and I did a 10 day trip in the Brooks last year. Our combined gear weight including rifles was less than 100lbs.

I shot this sub 39"er on 10 day trip last fall. My GF was played out and didn't think she could keep up, knowing where I was headed so I got to hike in, kill and pack out alone. It was a brutal hike but worth it. I can't wait for August to get here!

I'm more scared of bears in MT and WY than I am of them up here. We only saw 27 diffrent bears on our last sheep hunt. She killed this guy at 20 yards... about 40 yards from camp with a 300WSM.

5242p1010925.jpg

3313p1010890.jpg

Great info, I appreciate the help and insight. I'm glad I asked because I've learned a lot already. I'm really glad I asked this far in advance so I can start planning and purchasing. Is any wealthy folk on here looking to adopt? 3 instant grandkids....

The outdoor research gators, anybody else a believer in these? Seems like every pair of gators I've ever owned end up getting me wet sooner or later. would love to find a pair that don't. it's always been one of those things I've not went all out on though..

Would love to hear more on the rain gear debate and boots. And I will by some trecking poles.

Bambi has some good information there.

One thing I will add is that many people want to overpack on clothes. My backpack dall hunt was 14 days long, and for clothing I took (including what I wore):

Lowa Hunter GTX boots
3 pair Smartwool socks
3 pair Ultimax liner socks
2 pair underwear
1 pair Microtex pants
1 Microtex shirt
1 Capeline 2 zip crew
1 Capeline 2 bottoms
1 Polartec fleece jacket
1 Marmot Precip jacket
1 Marmot Precip pants
1 stocking cap
1 ball cap
1 pair wool gloves

I never felt like I needed more clothing.

Dall38-1.jpg

+1 on trekking poles and gators and one really good spotting scope.
White sheep aren't hard to spot, but differentiating a few inches and identifying age rings is.
Leave off Wiggy Waders. After the third river crossing mine leaked like a siv. Instead roll up your pants and have some very light weight water shoes or sandels.
Work your butt off getting in shape and you will still not be in sheep shape. Hike with a loaded pack to get ready.

Things I've taken on my Dall sheep hunts that I think you'll find valuable;

Desire
grit
flexibility
humor
good companions
legs, lungs and eyes!

Almost everything else is opinion based and might or might not meet your needs.

Zeke

Oh, good luck!

Good luck, Thats a dream hunt for me as well. Cant wait to see some pictures.
Get in shape, that will probably be the most important.

Shoot em till their dead

OR crocodile gaiters are the toughest gaiters out there.

Trekking poles are mandatory.

I have fallen in love with plastic mountaineering boots and would not go dall sheep hunting again without them. Used Lowas on my first hunt and torched my feet while the guide kept motoring with plastics. I have Kenetreks and they will work fine if you don't want to buy plastics but they really are awesome.

Big Agnes primaloft insulated sleeping pad is the most comfortable backpacking pad I have ever used including a 2.5 inch thick Thermarest. Plus it is really compact.

I would pack my own food. I know what I need, what I like and I won't ever have to eat Peanut Butter everything just because the guide really likes PB power bars, PB cliff bars, PB Zone bars, Salty Nut logs etc. Top ramen will add a supercharge to a MountainHouse meal for extra calories but after a few days you eat less anyways.

Take your own spotter as both times my guide had either a Leupold or some other POS that I don't remember.

Sitka Schmitka....over-rated. I used Marmot Precip rain gear over a synthetic long underwear top almost the whole time. Microtex from Cabelas are the toughest damn pants I have ever used and dry so quickly you won't believe it. Synthetic long underwear bottoms, Microtex Pants and quality rainwear are all you need on the bottom.

YOur biggest problem isn't getting wet, it's overheating because Dall sheep are easy to see and if you don't see any, you keep walking and when you do see them you keep walking. The only time I ever did much glassing is when we were looking at rams or ust resting and passing time. There isn't and shouldn't be alot of screwing around on a dall hunt. You are constantly on the move looking for that big cranker ram. If its damn cold and snowing you probably aren't going to be anywhere but the tent anyways so it's not like you need a whole lot of heavy clothes.

A thick book is a must. I would heartily recommend Teddy Roosevelts "Adventures of a Ranchman & WIlderness Hunter" If you haven't read it you just might get your chance in the tent and experience what is probably the finest book ever written by an American president and true hero for hunting, conservation and the National Park System. Put it in a gallon zip lock baggie and be prepared to tear it in two because your guide isn't going to have something as good as it.

Bambistew is right, its not like your hunting on the dark side of the moon. The altitude is relatively tame compared to the Rockies so unless you are coming from sea level, its not that big of a deal. I still remember what a friend said about conditioning for dall sheep hunting when he got back from his mid August hunt and before I left for my September hunt. He said "Whatever you are doing....it's not enough!" You cannot be is too good of condition so work you azz off and you will enjoy your hunt immensely and not be tempted to shoot the first legal ram you see like many that are absolutely hammered after three days of climbing mountains.

.25-06 is just fine for Dall and your odds of needing a canon to save your life is so small, it shouldn't be your deciding factor for gun choice.

Buckspy,

Why do you like the plastics so much? They seem like they'd be uncomortable to walk very far in. I've been thinking about them for a while now. They seem like they would last FOREVER, and crossing streams would be easy, as you could just pull the liners put them back on cross... dump out the water and your back in business with dry shoes.

I'm not a fan of Marmot Precip... Both jacket and pants I've had eventually soaked through after extended periods in the rain. I think once the shell is soaked on the outside the water vapor can't escape?

My current gear is the Outdoor Reserch Rampart jacket and pants. Very similar in size/weight to the Precip, but 100% waterproof.

BC Pronghorn- I'm still waiting for that gear list.

On my last backpacking trip to new mexico ('09) I figured I hiked between 40-45 miles in those 8 days and was between 10,500 and 12,000 feet. It seemed like I could not eat enough food. I was obviously burning way more calories then I was taking in. I had taken about 1.5 times as much food as I thought I would need. Mostly mountain house meals, ramen/cup of noodles, oatmeal, marathon and protein bars, jerky and some other odds and ends. What other high calorie foods are manageable as far as pack weight goes?

I would guess a sheep hunt will be worse than this, so I plan on getting in shape for it.

Also, as a clarification I am hunting with the '2nd degree of kindred' rule (bro-in-law) and will not have a guide. He's only killed one sheep but has hunted them about a half dozen times.

From what I have gathered from posts to answer my original questions the three best things would have to be:

Quality clothing and gaitors
trekking poles
good boots
(quality spotter in consolation prize 4th place)

the three most regretable things would be:

over packing gear
not being in shape
not taking Babmbistews girlfriend to keep warm

Does this sum it up?

It's tricky to take food that's not to heavy but still has a lot of calories. But if you're packing in and setting up a base camp you can take a little more food as you don't have to pack it out. I usually take a bunch of Hershys chocolate bars and a jar of peanut butter for snacking. Instant potatoes are awesome for lunch. I make them on the morning before I leave camp, put them in a ziplok and have a squeeze bag for lunch. Packs of tuna and chicken are great for lunch and a great portion kick. For breakfast I like granola and powder milk... Usually have Mt House for dinner... Just take what you like.

One thing you may want to consider is putting all of your potential gear on a scale and making a list of their weights. I weighed every item I considered taking on my dall hunt and cut quite a few pounds off my total weight. You would be amazed at how you much weight you can shave. If you have several similar items this may make it easier to decide what to take. You will likely find that shaving weight usually comes at an expense...to your wallet.

I started with the heaviest items that would shave the most weight (pack, rifle, tent, boots, clothes, sleeping bag, tripod, spotting scope, food, etc) until I ran out of cash.

Several of the items that were important on my hunt were: best raingear, boots, tent (Hillebergs), and optics $ can buy. Super optics are VERY important because they will likely save you miles of hiking if you can distinguish legal rams from long range.

The item that would have saved us a lot of grief is a 3-4 lb electric fence to keep bears from tearing up our camp while we were out hunting!

I am fortunate to have a BIL that lives in AK and hope you have as good a time as we had!

Ivan-I wondered too how can those uncomfortable looking "ski-boot" replicas really be all that for a trek into Alaska. My first hunt for dall ended up being a 13 day epic journey and as the days wore on with the sidehill miles adding up, my feet were torched in my leather Lowas. My guide kept motoring partially because he was a complete bad-azz but also because of his boots. His feet didn't hurt and I was popping percocet at night. I bought a pair of Koflach Degree boots and saw for myself firsthand what they were all about. Absolute stability in all terrain types and especially sidehill where even the best leather boots roll on you and work on the soles of your feet. My last hunt involved about 7 miles of sidehill in steeper grassy type sheep terrain in the Alaska Range getting out of there and the 20 year old packer with leather boots on was crippled up completely for a few days after that while my guide and I had plastics on and were just tired.

In rougher country like the Chugach or Wrangells, I think they are almost mandatory for the really gnarly stuff. They are a little awkward at first but you get used to them and the advantages far outweigh the negatives IMO.

I used them on my raffle ram hunt in Colorado in 2009 and found them to be literally a lifesaver on my pack out. I would not go back to Alaska Dall hunting without them.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-11 AT 01:17AM (MST)[p]Buckspy, as someone that has spent way too many hateful hours in hardboots climbing and backcountry skiing, i don't know if i would go hunting in them...well, maybe mountain goats ;)

i don't know what model Lowa you were using, but in general i think that the heavy duty mountaineering soft boots from them guys, or another good alpine company like asolo, la sportiva, raichle, meindl, etc. are much more ideal for extended use on everything but the absolute worst terrain (i do agree with you there)

anyway, whatever works best for any given individual is obviously what they should use, but i hate plastics...they serve a principal purpose where they're absolutely needed, but otherwise, they just hammer my feet and ankles

oh ya, i guess i might add that i also hate trekking poles!! :)

Hardplastic may work better for Buckspy as he is a little larger than most sheep hunters.

To lazy to read all the above but I would have to add gaitors to the list. I really like dry feet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom