2013 Big Game season

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
Wondering what everyone drew?

I accumulated a bunch of PPs and drew a decent NM muzzy elk tag. Cost my Dad and I some money to apply in the guide draw and have the guide spend the night before and first day of the season with us. It was a 3rd choice draw and the guide doesn't know it but I spent 10 days there in "09" and saw some 300+ bulls so I'm stoked.

Hope everyone else got at least one good tag.

Good luck on your hunt. I have been accumulating some points as well over the past few years....drew a Colorado 2nd season tag in 77 (3 points)....area 6 Nevada Muzzy tag (5 points). My dad also drew the same Nevada tag. Unless it's a miracle and I draw a G3 random tag, it's D9 for me here in Cali.

I went into the draws worried i would draw to many tags and came out with only one (except for the Cali draw).

Drew the Utah Wasath late Elk hunt.Did not draw in the N.M guided draw,had 17 points for Colorado unit 61 archery Elk still no tag and my Wyoming Elk hunt jumped almost 2 points to draw.

Getting a GSP pup in about 2 1/2 months so should have more time to work with it.Hunter maybe i'll see you up in X5B chasing Chukar next year.

Really wasn't expecting much this year, as I'm trying to finish up my Archery Deer Slam with hunts to POW and WA in Oct and Nov...That being said, I pulled off a Utah FishLake Archery LE Bull tag...

So things aren't all bad..

'Ike'

First year I've been able to put in as a party with my 12 year old son. It's a fun experience so far. We've put in for WY deer and antelope with my Dad so there'll be the 3 of us hunting. My son and I drew Nevada 192 which was a shocker cuz he had no points and I had 2. My Dad will go along for the ride on that one. I have put my son in for an AZ junior deer tag so I hope he draws that. I've also put him in for a California Junior deer hunt (Round Valley). He probably won't get that being his first year but you never know. It's gonna be a great season! Good luck to you all.

M'Balz Es Hari

Oil, good luck in Utah! I would like to know more about that hunt after you're done if you don't mind? I'll probably stick to my Utah plan to hunt archery but that late hunt intrigues me too.

Sounds like some good tags out there, good luck to all of you.

And Wiz, hope the son gets hooked. It'll cost you in application/tags fees but you can never replace those memories. Still putting my 22 year old son in for a couple of states.

Califelkslayer. I think you got my muzzy tag in NM. I also applied in the guide pool but didn't get drawn. Hunted 15 archery last year so if you pulled the Gila then you will see some big bulls. Zero in AZ and Utah but I lucked out with an antelope tag in NV and a Muzzy elk hunt in CO. I'm also taking my daughter on a guided elk hunt in NE New Mexico.
I also still put son,daughter and son in law in for multiple states. Now I just need my elk tag in CA,max points, and a G deer tag.

Tell me about it, Hunter! After the applying for WY I realized just how much money I was spending. It's nuts...but I gotta do it. I didn't go out of state until I was 19. My parents just couldn't afford it. My son is into it big time so we took him when he was 10 out to WY with us and he loved it. He was able to shoot a rabbit for himself on that trip and watched me shoot my buck as well. It was a good experience for him. I have one dilemma though....what the heck am I going to do with 4 deer and 2 antelope! Looks like tri-tip will not be on the menu...only wild game. :) Good luck to you and your son!

I guess there's no age limit on paying for your kids hunting, huh? You're a good Dad.

M'Balz Es Hari

I drew a few fair tags...3rd season unit 70 in Co, late unit 10 in Nv, and a Gen buck tag in Utah as my 4th choice that am returning for refund.
Should draw a x zone in Ca!
smack

I had a good draw this year, Colorado archery Elk and a Nevada 021 archery tag. Started shooting my Bow and hiking the mountains to get in shape. Good Luck to everyone!!! I would rather be Lucky than Good.

Struck out in all the draws so far. Probably buy a 2nd season voucher (deer) somewhere in colorado, have a general Region E tag in Wyoming. Arizona deer and Cali elk, deer, antelope to go still.

After drawing Elk & Antelope tags for Cali last year I figured that a big fat zero was in my forecast, but i was wrong. My dad and I get to hunt deer in Nevada for the first time. We drew area 10 late rifle tags. I'm still Waiting to here from Idaho, Cali, AZ.

JUST ADDING TO MY MAX POINTS FOR SHEEP, ELK, & LOPE.....UNLESS I SNAG A SHEEP TAG. I HAVE OTHER HUNTS SO I CANT APPLY FOR MUCH. I DID HUNT X2 MODOC LAST YEAR.....FUN HUNT, NEAT COUNTRY....................YD.

Has anyone tried to go on the CA webssite today or this evening? I have tried twice and it is not up and working...wonder if they are going to post the draw results soon...maybe this FRIDAY??????????????????

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-13 AT 10:54PM (MST)[p]THE WHOLE SYSTEM WAS A WRECK SINCE SATURDAY...(I tried to buy a tag in NV Cabela's Reno) and their system would only let me in to buy an "A" or "B" zone tags and misc Archery tags but not a Premium Tag! went outside and used my phone and no problem at all..

No luck in UT or NV...Waiting on WY, OR, AZ and of course, CA. Maybe this will be the year I draw something good here at home like Goodale for Deer, Likely tables for lopes, or White Mtns. for Sheep. Wouldnt that be nice!
-HS

Wiz, have the prime steaks cut. grind some for burger and sausage and jerk the rest. Ain't much on a lope.

Smack, how many PPs for the Unit 70, 3rd season tag? I have 5 and 70, 3rd was my goal 5 years ago BUT I'm looking toward the Gunnison, maybe a 2nd season tag in a couple of years.

Sore, my NM tag ain't in the 15s, 16s, 34s or 36s. It's a unit I know has good bulls but maybe not the top end NM is known for in wet years. But a very drawable unit, 100% in the guide draw, basically a horse hunt so I can look myself in the mirror after every hay purchase. Them suckers are going to work again this year:)

ELKSLAYER.......MY HUNTERSTRAILHEAD CHART SAYS 5 POINTS = 100% DRAW IN 70 FOR DEER NON RES. 3RD SEASON. NOT TOO MUCH POINT CREEP IN 70 OVER THE LAST 3-4 YEARS, COMPARED TO SOME UNITS................YD.

x2 YUKON....5 TO DRAW THE 70 3RD..Kilowatt I think was there last year and hated it but he hates everything!
I drew Nv TWICE!!! BACK TO BACK!
SMACK

Looks like I may be going to 70 this year for OTC bull elk

I have a friend who goes there frequently with a high success rate no trophies but always fills tags so I am excited to try it. He usually gets a second season deer tag every other year and has one this year.

Of course if I get my california x zone tag that will all have to wait til next year.

I struck out in nevada and Utah already and refuse to apply in idaho

I wasnt planning on anything this year but helping some family and friends, Then all things changed. Me and the wife drew two late season nevada bull tags on our 4th and 5th choice, also drew a dec bow muley tag . Nevada was good to us this year so far. californa went a-1 ,second choice. my daughter drew a az. youth elk tag in 6a. hopefully thats all my plate is full for this year.

Califelkslayer

You should have a good hunt in NM. Ive hunted the NE corner for the last 7 years and there are always decent bulls there. I hunted the Gila last year archery and I looked at 350+ bulls every day. I just couldn't get close enough to take a shot and it was pre rut.

You guys keep mentioning Area 70 in Co. Ive never been there but I have a BP elk tag for that unit. 70,71,711 etc. Supposedly there are alot of elk. Was thinking about taking the horses up there and using them to get back in aways.
Now lets see what happens in Ca

Oh, any all of you that have been so helpful with info on my NV antelope tag, Thanks.

A GOOD NUMBER OF SMALL BUCKS, NICE COUNTRY, GOOD CALI EXPERIENCE (I ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE MODOC).........BUT NO THUMPERS & 3 OF US GLASSED OUR BUTTS OFF. IT USED TO BE GOOD, HUNTED MOST OF IT !!!!.......LOCALS STRUGGLED AS WELL.......YD.

I have seen some nice bucks right along the river but I think most of its private.

YD, in 2007 I drew 61, 3rd with 7 PPs and my partner drew 70, 3rd, with 2 PPs. We camped together and hunted our respective units.

After comparing notes, I figured I'd rather hunt 70, 3rd 3 times in the next 9 years rather than 61 once. But 2 PPs grew to 5 over those 5 years.

x2 YUKON....5 TO DRAW THE 70 3RD..Kilowatt I think was there last year and hated it but he hates everything!
I drew Nv TWICE!!! BACK TO BACK!
SMACK

SMACK....I said I did not care for the unit as it was over crowded with hunters and even the F&G Cop said the same.
AND, I do not HATE EVERYTHING at least not yet excluding yourself...LOL

I was there for the 2nd season and that was 2 years ago...2011

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I AGREE ELKSLAYER.......I ALSO WOULD HUNT 70 3RD X3 OVER UNIT 61.......EVEN COLORADO DRAW IS GETTING TOUGH WITH THE POINT CREEP SITUATION. I AM NOW SITTING ON 8 POINTS.....I WILL HUNT IN 2015 FOR SURE..................YD.

I've got 11 pts in CO for deer and elk and I have no idea where to go. I've been buying pts with the thought that someday I'll put in and go. Due to my point situation in other states I still think I'm going to bank them for the future. I know I'll never catch up to the max point pool, but I should be able to draw a good archery or muzzy hunt someday.

Pulled 4th season Colorado deer GMU 71/711. Should get Region D Wyoming deer no problem not sure if I will pull my antelope tag there.

saddlesore, we drew Unit 45 in NM, the Pecos. I know it a little. Huge country, almost all wilderness. A muzzy with a scope, in the rut, I'm pretty excited.

I'm sitting on 6 PPs for Co deer and 3 PPs for elk. Can I draw Unit 66 1st season elk and 2nd (first) deer season? I tried to get the draw odds on MM but got confused. My Dad 'enrolled' on 'Trailshunter' and gave me his password, but it feels like cheating. Thinking if I could hunt 66 1st season elk and 2nd season deer, I could PP all other states next year.

Slayer,
I didn't put in anywhere, due to the move. However, I will be good to go as a resident for the general season hunts. As you know I am familiar with a lot of country up here. Hope all is well Brother.

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

YD are you getting any rain in unit 1? Finally getting much needed rain in the Gilla for my Archery hunt.

264.......YES THE MONSOONS HIT ON JUNE 28TH, THEY TEND TO DUMP A LOT OF WATER. HAD SEVERAL CELLS PASS THE AREA MY ARIZONA FRIENDS TELL ME...................HOPE FOR THE BEST.........YD.

We drew Nevada unit 61-64 66-68 early.

I like the area, my son-inlaw drew a elk tag for this area last year and I saw some very nice bucks while we were hunting elk.
I think we should do ok.

I'm a NV resident now and it killed me to give up my CA max elk points..

Jim

"Our house is protected by the good lord and a gun, You'll meet both of them if you show up uninvited."

My schedule is set. Utah general season deer (Beaver), Montana
deer & cow elk, California deer (Goodale). More preference points for Colorado (12 deer, 12 elk), Utah (18 elk, 13 moose, 5 LE deer), Nevada (5 elk, 5 deer), Arizona (13 elk, 12 deer), Wyoming (max deer & elk). California (max elk, big horn sheep, antelope). Going to be a busy season.
Good luck to all.

Drew g37, 3 guided Blacktail deer hunts for me, dad, and son, and plm tule elk for son. Plus hunt our ranch in a zone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom