2013 The Lucky Year

A

anybull14

Well, where to begin? Lucky number 13' has been good to us so far this year. So lets do a little back tracking shall we?

I started the 2013 season with sheds and coyotes on my mind. But since I can't seem to kill a coyote to save my life, I was mainly day dreaming about sheds. I wanted to beat my record from 2012.. a yearly grand total of...17. which was by far my all time best. lol
Come march I was on a ride along with Utah's Unified Police Department Canyon's patrol on the Wasatch Front. We were stopped and watching a small herd of deer when I spotted tines poking up off a small hill 40 yards in front of us. sure enough it was the first shed of 2013 a small white 4pt.
9413shed1.jpg

187shed2.jpg

the next trip was okay. scrub oak killed my arms, found a small dead buck but no sheds
1715shed3.jpg

as you can see scrub oak and I are no good friends lol
4577shed4.jpg

3rd trip was a quick trip after work in the rain, right before dark I picked up a small 3 and nice 4
2411shed8.jpg

sorry for the shaky pic, I had a case of "Shed Fever"
5768shed5.jpg

7325shed6.jpg

7558shed7.jpg

I made it up two days later in search of the Big 4's other side, and right off the bat I found this small 2
9758shed11.jpg

I stumbled apon this old 3
3011shed9.jpg

I took a couple steps and looked down the hill. 10 yards away was its match. Now I know this isn't no giant buck but I was whooping and a hollering because its my very first set. I've been shed hunting since i was 6 years old (20 Now)and finally found my first set!
7853shed10.jpg

The really cool part is, 40 yards away I found a skull to a buck that has already shedded. I put the sheds on the skull and they fit like a puzzle! That was just the cherry on top!
4161shed14.jpg

The next day I took my little brother up with me looking for the match to the big 4, I found the right side to a small 3. On the way back to the truck, just before dark him and I dropped into a ravine and walked up on a shed at the exact same time. turns out it was the match to my 3 point:) set #2 for the year!
4511shed15.jpg

The Next trip looking for the match to the big 4 my little brother went with me again. except this time he had all the luck and picked up a massive 4pt and nice 3pt.
417shed17.jpg

Little bro with his biggest shed to date:)
5320shed18.jpg

5879shed19.jpg

The next shed trip was a quick one after work again. I hit it solo, the area was full of steep rocky ledges and thick scrub out. I nearly died getting up there. But in the end I didn't leave empty handed.:)
2995shed16.jpg

Stay tuned, the story gets better :)

By this time it was mid march and I was already up to 8 sheds, to most? not a lot but to me i was doing better then years past. So I was pretty happy.
The next trip was in an area i've never shed hunted before, a buddy and I hunted it for coyotes in January and and saw nearly a dozen bucks in there. I was almost Positive that it has gotten hit hard.
I woke up late, around 11 am Saturday not sure where to go, my sister said "Just go! I have a good feeling about that place"
Thank god I listened to her. I climbed up the ridge and immediately glassed up a small goofy 2pt.
9010shed20.jpg

I was excited that i wasn't going to leave empy handed
2229shed21.jpg

I crossed over a ravine 100 yards away and spotted this in the green grass:)
a gnarly 2pt elk shed
1896shed22.jpg

I started gaining altitude, climbing some steep terrain, finally when I got to the top this nice palmated 4pt was waiting for me in a burn:)
9478shed23.jpg

I crossed over the ridge, and started down the other side when I walked up to the most beautiful 4 point shed i've ever picked up! I was going crazy! This was shed #4 for the day, I never have luck like this!
424shed24.jpg

I picked it up in Awwwe, I flip it over and there is a one inch cheater, I lost it.. I started cheering lol
I've never picked up a cheater shed before and here in my hands was my first cheater shed haha its crazy what just one inch of antler growth can do to a guy hahaha
2127shed25.jpg

Now my goal was to match it up, not having the best luck ever when it comes to matching up sheds I was nervous.
I started thinking "if i was a buck where would I go.."
so I started walking the ridge line back.
I picked up shed #5 a long the way.
9749shed26.jpg

I got 100 yards away from where I picked the shed and stopped to take in the scenery, I couldn't believe the day I was having:) I turned around to continue hiking and their.. 10 yards away.. laid the bucks left side! I freaked!
7959shed27.jpg

This buck has a 3inch kicker on his left side and a 1 inch kicker at the base. This was the biggest set I have ever found and the only two sheds with cheaters I have ever found lol
7500shed28.jpg

After celebrating, and sending pics to all my buddies and my dad I continued hiking. picked up 2 more 2 point sheds making it my best day shed hunting ever!
Right before dark i walked up on this perfect 4 point.
3226shed29.jpg

It looked like the typical version of the cheater set i just picked up!
6486shed30.jpg

I began to search for his other side, covering as much ground as I could before dark.
With no match made that day I picked up a 3pt right at dark. Making it 10 sheds in one day, my first time hitting double digits!I hiked out in the dark and didn't get home until 10:30 that night. Man was I sore but on cloud 9 :)I hiked into this area hoping to turn up a shed, but ended up having my best day ever:)
138shed31.jpg

Stay tuned there is more to come!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-13 AT 12:02PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-13 AT 11:57?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-13 AT 09:28?AM (MST)

The next weekend a buddy invited me to hit a WMA in Northern Utah. I knew it was going to be hard to beat my last trip. But he ensured that it was possible for me to hit double digits again. We started hiking at 5am and my goal was to not leave the mountain empty handed.
By 7am I walked up on this nice brown three:)
4574shed32.jpg

I was pretty happy with just my 3. I was glassing a small hill top in front of me when I thought I seen an old chalky tine sticking up out of the sage. when walking down over to it found this old chalk
4842shed35.jpg

Finally I reached the area and sure enough it was a chalky 2 pt. with the other side laying 10 feet away!:)Set #4 for the year
3970shed34.jpg

While walking up a canyon I looked up a old trail and spotted tines. sure enough! Another 3!
6291shed33.jpg

Old 2
2957shed36.jpg

The coolest 2pt i've ever found! Sweet browtine on him:)
1352shed37.jpg

2nd Elk shed of the year!
613shed38.jpg

The ugliest shed i've ever found lol
5627shed39.jpg

(some not pictured) After 13 miles, I hiked off the mountain that day in the Pouring rain, Drenched to the bone with my badlands pack full of double digits:) another 10 shed day:)
159shed40.jpg

I got home that night, recovered and planned my trip for the next day. I was heading back up to the "Secret Spot". The place where I first hit double digits. I was planning on heading back up and matching that beautiful 4 point I found. I got up there and started glassing a ridge. I immediately glassed up white tines:)
I thought I found a decent 2pt. But when I walked up, it was a buried 4!:)
230shed41.jpg

I was pretty dang happy that i wasn't leaving empty handed, I crossed over the ridge top, through some nasty terrain mixed with cedars. I was taking a breather and was glassing through the tree's below me when... I spotted a brown shed laying tines down:)
6069shed42.jpg

I was stoked! I carefully made my way down the steep hill. When I walked up to the shed there laid its match 8 feet away! I could not believe it! Set #5 for the year!
6188shed43.jpg

One of The biggest 2X3 sets I have ever held:)
9015shed44.jpg

On his 2 point side he had this gnarly hole going on.
4804shed45.jpg

After picking up the set I continued climbing the ridge. Going from ridge top to ridge top and glassing.

This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen:)
967shed46.jpg

A matched 4X3 set laying side by side:)
3476shed47.jpg

618shed48.jpg

Could not believe the luck I was having! I climbed to the top of the ridge and walked past this 3 point. Thank god I looked back lol
3989shed49.jpg

I climbed up to the ridge, into the area where I found that perfect 4 point. 20 yards away from where I found it laid its match. somehow I walked right around it the trip before lol
4090shed51.jpg

With my "Mission Accomplished" I started my hike out.
on the way I out I picked up this nice white 4
6334shed50.jpg

glassed up this side by side 3X3 set
488shed52.jpg

9424shed53.jpg

and stumbling upon one of the biggest four points I have ever found!
6171shed54.jpg

I hiked out with it being my best shed hunt to date!
With 11 sheds and 3 sets strapped to the badlands pack I hiked another 13 miles:)
6695shed56.jpg

Here is the perfect 4 point finally matched up and the 4X3 set was his set from the year before!
963shed55.jpg

With the snakes and mosquito's coming out along with the New green grass it was getting harder and harder to shed hunt. So made one more trip up into the "secret spot" again. Boy was it hot! I finally climbed to the top to find these.
8568shed57.jpg

4309shed58.jpg

I glassed these up on the same hill, all within 30 yards
5279shed59.jpg

3701shed60.jpg

6771shed61.jpg

I though I found 2 sets on the same hill... Turns out all 4 singles from different years LOL
4545shed64.jpg

The match to my Big 3
3706shed62.jpg

6196shed63.jpg

a little 2
1103shed65.jpg

Just before I dark I glasses up this big fork
4369shed66.jpg

my third cheater shed ever!
6486shed67.jpg

7853shed68.jpg

4207shed69.jpg

while loading up the cheater shed I figured out I had a match!
3262shed70.jpg

After 9 miles I packed out 9 sheds. 2 sets
3566shed72.jpg

192shed71.jpg

The four best trips:)
2692shed73.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-13 AT 03:14PM (MST)[p]With the tempts getting hotter so does the fishing! Besides being a shed addict I am also a fishing NUT!
So a couple buddies and I decided to go fish Utah Lake for some channels. On the way we stopped at Cabela's and I bought some New lures.
After finding the right spot we parked and unloaded. While everyone else was rigging for bottom monsters I was throwing on a New lure.
I kept at it for about 15 minutes then Something hit my lure and was fighting big time, first thing I did was yell to my buddy " Grab the net!" he comes running over as i'm fighting this monster, I set the drag and let her pull until she got a little tired then I fought her back into shore. I couldn't see exactly what it was because of the murky water, we saw a little flash then the fight was back on.
"D***it its a carp" I thought to myself. Then her back end came up to the surface and we saw the distinct Large Mouth bass lines, that is when I started shaking. This thing was huge! My Buddy scooped down with the net and brought her onto shore. Him and I looked at each in disbelief. This was the biggest Large Mouth we have personally ever seen.
To say we were excited is an understatement.
She weighed in at 6 pounds 20" long and 16 1/4 girth!
182fish2.jpg

7802fish3.jpg

6107fish4.jpg

5685fish5.jpg

All within this mess of Adventures of picking up sheds and catching fish, I went up to Wilde Arrow Archery Center in Farmington and bought a 2013 Hoyt Charger. This bow is AMAZING! Any bow from the 2013 Hoyt line up are Great bows.
1196hunt2.jpg

2673hunt3.jpg

Early one morning in late May my dad calls me and says "You and Braiden both drew your archery deer tags but We have a pending charge for $570 and $30, What cost $570? And $30?"
After discussing it over for a little bit I pulled out the calculater. $285+$285=...... We both drew our Wasatch Limited Entry Elk Tag!!!! And my little Brother Drew his Youth Any bull Elk tag!
4508scouting1.jpg

Emmediately we began scouting that next weekend. We dropped a trail camera off at a wallow and seen a handfull of elk. We began scouting every weekend in new and old areas
8693scouting12.jpg

Scouting trip #2 produced over 20 cows and new born calves but no bulls. We checked the camera that had 293 pictures of cows and calves. When replacing the dead batteries the camera Fried up and quit working. That was the first time we used it too.
995scouting14.jpg

6030scouting13.jpg

Scouting trip #3 was into an area that my dad knows like the back of his hand. With the temps high our goal is to find water. And that we did!:)
2936scouting15.jpg

9734scouting16.jpg

3678scouting6.jpg

We snuck into a herd of 20 elk. There was one bull Bugleing but he stayed down low.
6858scouting4.jpg

7687scouting9.jpg

6554scouting10.jpg

It was now early July and I still haven't recieved my tag in the mail. I was begining to get worried when my dad hands me this.
A Christmas card in July?
9548scouting7.jpg

my tag was bought and paid for as a gift for Christmas. I gotta say that is the best gift I have ever recived:) Thanks dad:)

August 11th 2013
6 Days from Opening day and we are beyond stoked! We have found cows calves and rag heads but nothing big. we have been shooting none stop and are dead on with our bows. Here our some pics from scouting as well as Trail cam pics
5664arrows.jpg

4348le11.jpg

Going in to check the camera
897le1.jpg

3668le2.jpg

716le3.jpg

9377le4.jpg

While scouting we have found a lot nice little bucks
4274le5.jpg

3502le6.jpg

5838le8.jpg

6589le7.jpg

Can't Leave out the old Cemetery Buck
8420se11.jpg

7978se12.jpg

A Wasatch Front Bull Moose
8382le9.jpg

Within the mess of Fishing scouting hiking and day dreaming I bought a New Hunting Rig:)
8850le12.jpg

With those high mountain lakes I can't resist from fishing
here is a handfull of some beautiful fish my girlfriend and I caught
9014se1.jpg

3982se2.jpg

8055se3.jpg

710se4.jpg

9525se5.jpg

7563se6.jpg

4335se7.jpg

We are running up to check our last trail camera Tuesday hopefully got some big bulls on there:)

Stay Tuned

2 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!
We went up and checked our last trail camera. Within one week we got 3,918 pictures of bulls! 6 different bulls!
2673pic.jpg

9355pic1.jpg

Decent 6 point that we Nicknamed "Lee"
7147pic3.jpg

We named this big 5 "Lazy" due to the fact that he laid next to the salt lick for 4 hours licking it lol
7600pic4.jpg

The drive home:)
5427pic2.jpg

The Adventures are about to begin, stay tuned.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom