2015 Bows

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
So I went and shot some of the 2015 bows from Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, and Prime. Ive shot Prime for the last 3 years but I always shoot as many brands as possible before I buy. I'm not brand loyal .
The first day I shot PSE and Hoyt. PSE was better than past years bows. Not near as aggressive as last years bow. I felt good shot smooth and was really well balanced in my hand.
The Hoyt carbon spyder turbo was my favorite in the Hoyt lineup. It's fast and almost dead in your hand. Balanced super well and had a pretty solid back wall. Draw was pretty smooth til the last little bit. It felt a lot lighter than all the bows I shot.
I shot the Prime a few days later. I was still pumped about how good the Hoyt shot until I shot the Prime. That bow is completely DEAD in your hand! It has the rock solid back wall like all the Prime bows do but wasn't quite as balanced as the Hoyt. and they got rid of that sh!tty handle. So far the best bow top to bottom for me.
I shot the new No cam Mathews today. It's light, well balanced and a super smooth draw. But the down fall to this bow is that it's a dog compared to any of the others. It's SLOW! We figured with my draw length and arrow weight I'd be lucky to get close to 280 fps. 30" @ #70 440 grain arrow.
One thing I really didn't like a bout the No Cam was the cable rub on the cam/wheel. Not the best design.
I didn't have time to shoot the Bowtech but I'm sure I'll get around to it.
If I had to choose today I'd most likely choose the Prime over the Hoyt based on the price. $950 vs $1400+ bare bow

Traditional >>>------->

Totally honest question, not at all trying to be a prick. I see a lot of guys upgrade their bows every year, always changing out to shoot the newest model year. I honestly can't wrap my brain around that. The price tag, the durability of bows now days, the consistency and accuracy of becoming familiar with and shooting the same bow, it just doesn't justify in my mind. I'm sure the Archery manufactures love this and clearly they tailor their marketing to it. Yet, you don't see rifle, muzzy or any gear for that matter swapped out every year like you do with bows.

I just don't get it. Simple question...why?

I get a new bow every year. I like to tinker with the new stuff out and shoot a new bow. Lots of guys apparently like to do that also. Why not?

I agree, I go through atleast 2 bows a year. I like to try new bows all the time. I always buy last years top end model. I have never lost money on a bow besides one of my carbon elements.

>did you shoot the Hoyt Nitrum
>Turbo?

Yes, I liked the carbon turbo better... Can't remember the exact model name.

Traditional >>>------->

>Totally honest question, not at all
>trying to be a prick.
>I see a lot of
>guys upgrade their bows every
>year, always changing out to
>shoot the newest model year.
> I honestly can't wrap
>my brain around that. The
>price tag, the durability of
>bows now days, the consistency
>and accuracy of becoming familiar
>with and shooting the same
>bow, it just doesn't justify
>in my mind. I'm sure
>the Archery manufactures love this
>and clearly they tailor their
>marketing to it. Yet, you
>don't see rifle, muzzy or
>any gear for that matter
>swapped out every year like
>you do with bows.
>
>I just don't get it. Simple
>question...why?
>

I agree. I treat my bow like my family has treated the rifles passed down from generation to generation. It's not just a tool, it's like an old friend to be treasured. Memories built, animals taken, shots missed. I guess, the purpose of hunting for me is not to show off my latest and "greatest."

I recently upgraded to an Elite 35 after shooting a Hoyt Vectrix for the previous 7 years. The hoyt just wouldn't tune any longer for more than a few dozen shots -- so I hung him up. I hope to have my Elite well into the next decade or two.

Historically, I've changed bows about every 6-7 years. I like it to serve its purpose before retiring it.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I shot the bows again. This time with my hunting arrows weighing in at 486 grains. I shot all the bows at 29.5 draw and 70 lbs except the prime...It was at 29.
Nocam=270fps
Bowtech=288fps
Prime=282fps (29" draw)
Chill X=280ish cant remember exact numbers
Hoyt carbon turbo=Fastest but cant remember exact speed.

If the nocam was faster I'd actually love to shoot that bow.
The bowtech was smooth but I didn't feel comfortable with it.
Prime was either 1st or second, splitting hairs with the Chill X
Chill X was great, smooth ad well balanced
Hoyt was fast but was the loudest and hand a ton of hand shock and jump.
I may wait for the new camo Prime is offering to make a decision. Or I might get impatient and impulsive and buy the Mathews this week.
I can't believe I just said I might buy a Mathews. :)

Traditional >>>------->

Horsecreek, do you have any old bows for sale? We have the same draw length.
Did you ever shoot the full throttle?

>Horsecreek, do you have any old
>bows for sale? We have
>the same draw length.
>Did you ever shoot the full
>throttle?

The Full Throttle was too agressive for my taste
I'm selling my Prime Alloy from last year

Traditional >>>------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom