2015 Yukon Sheep

Thunderclapper

I've got a sheep hunt with Dan Reynolds and need to be in Dawson on August 30th. For the guys that have traveled to the Yukon, what advice do you have? Is one airline better than the other? Do I rent a car or charter a flight from Whitehorse to Dawson City? How much of an arrival/departure buffer do I give myself in case of delays? For the guys that have done this before, what made your trip better or worse?

I have flown into Whitehorse several times in the last few years, and will be doing so again in Sept. I have flown out of San Francisco through Vancouver and Calgary. If you have a choice try to avoid Vancouver, the airport is pretty screwed up and so are the people running security and boarding. I have used AirCanada and not had any of the big problems you often hear about. I try to arrive 2 days before my hunt, to allow the airline time to find my lost luggage. They have been pretty good, if your baggage doesn't make your flight it is usually in the next day, but if you have to start your hunt on that day, you are screwed. I also book my return flight out 2 days after my hunt ends, if you get weathered in and don't make your original flight the airline really socks it to you. I also wear my hunting boots on the plane as you can buy or borrow anything except broken in boots. Hope this helps and you have a good hunt. Mike T.

Hunted with Dan twice now. Air North is the only airline going from Whitehorse to Dawson. They have only 1-2 flights a day at that time usually. This year we ran into a couple hour delay in Dawson to Whitehorse flight as the plane was delayed from Old Crow. Other than that, flight times seem to be right on.

I have also rented a car and driven from Whitehorse to Dawson and back. This gives you more options for delays, etc. but it's a long trip, more expensive than a flight, and I'm not sure it's worth it.

Dan will have you out of the bush on time more than likely on the end of the hunt. I've not run into any delays on my two hunts up there but I know it happens.

Air North flight times leave a lot to be desired. Very tough to coordinate departures from Whitehorse back to the states on the same day due to their funky times from Dawson. This would be the only reason I would rent a car. Other than that, plan on grabbing a hotel in Dawson or Whitehorse and experience a little of the north culture on either end of your hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-15 AT 05:14PM (MST)[p]Congrats on the exciting adventure ahead TC!
On my trip up north I got some very detailed info on how and with who to book transportation from my outfitter. I am guessing no one knows better than Dan for your trip. If you haven't checked with him, I'd recommend you pick his brain as well.
Best of luck and be sure to share your success!

PS Just found this youtube video of a hunt with Dan if you are interested:

I don't know anything about Whitehorse but I will second the statement about avoiding Vancouver if you can.

On your first landing in Canada you will have to collect your luggage and go through Customs and Immigration and get a rifle permit.

I flew through there two years ago and had four hours in my schedule to do this and then got held up an hour and a half in Chicago and didn't have a chance.

There had been ten international flights come in the previous 40 minutes. There were 2,000 people or more in line. I don't think four hours would have been enough time.

Thanks LBH! I thought I had seen all of Landrus' videos but that one was new to me. He's had some good success with Dan.

WVH, this isn't the only place I've been warned about Vancouver. How can you be prepared for a delay like that?

I did travel east from Whitehorse for my stone sheep hunt to Teslin. I took the Geyhound bus from Whitehorse and back from Teslin to Whitehorse. You may wanna check and see if the bus runs from whitehorse to Dawson.

I ended up overnighting in Whitehorse on my trip up to Dan's in Sept of 2013. Caught the first flight to Dawson (seems it was in the 8-9 am range), was met by Dan in Dawson and after stashing some gear at his ranch in Dawson we were on our way to Sheep Mtn early in the afternoon. We had a little sketchy weather so we flew low along the Yukon River and then cut off into his area.

I flew through Vancouver but since I was originating in Washington state I really had little choice. I've heard nightmares about Vancouver but I had no trouble. I also overnighted in Whitehorse on the return trip.

I just sent my deposit to Dan for a moose only (maybe a griz) for late Sept of 2016. It was tempting not to do another combo but I couldn't afford to risk the weather again. A moose hunt means an awful lot to me personally and I want it to be the primary focus. Think I'll make another sheep trip again with him sometime in the future. I just love his area and his management style. Nothing better than a conservative outfitter who emphasizes taking only 10+ year old rams. Dan has two excellent young guides (Gary & Spencer) so you'll be in great hands. Per an email from him a few days ago the winter had been kind to the sheep so that's great news!

Let me know if you have any questions. I probably have my email confirmation of my 2013 flights if you want. [email protected]

Glen Landrus

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom