2017 CA Archery Bruin (pic)

BOHNTR

Long Time Member
I was fortunate enough to come across this big ol' bruin while bowhunting bucks in Northern California yesterday. It took three trips with HEAVY loads to get the meat and hide out......I was wishing he was smaller half way through it! Hope you enjoy.

62113bear2017.jpg

BOHNTR )))---------->

Very nice one there Roy. You're something else. One awesome archery hunter.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

That's a Huge bear. Great color phase bear.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thanks everyone.....he's a really nice bear. I have A LOT of sausage at the house now. I don't deliver but if you want some swing by. :)

In 60 days we'll see how big his noggin was......regardless he's a trophy in my book.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Looks like his official net score is 19 1/16th.....a trophy sized noggin for sure.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Not much to it really, Danny. I was bowhunting deer on the Bass Hill unit of Northern California. I was about 3/4 mile in a walk-in only area hiking at daybreak trying to get to a little nob I wanted to glass from for a bit. I took a shortcut next to a creek bottom that had the only pine trees around, as the entire area was bitterbrush and sage hills. As I sneaked up the creek bottom, I walked right up on this bear, who spooked and headed for the nearest pine tree rather than risk heading out across the sage flat in the daylight.

As he went up the huge ponderosa tree, I thought, "Well, he can't be too big since he's climbing a tree." As I looked at him, his head size looked bigger and I soon realized this was a big color phased black bear. I quickly looked in my pack (to ensure I also brought my bear tag on the trip), and checked my phone (on-line) to ensure the unit I was in still had an open bear season. Kinda nice when one is up the tree and allows all that......who needs dogs, right? :)

After conforming everything, I made the shot and the rest was really uneventful. Of course, the multiple pack outs were tough, even though the short amount of distance. He was a BIG bodied bear.

Probably the luckiest I've been while hunting in a while.....no skill at all really......just the right place at the right time.

BOHNTR )))---------->

He is finally back in my retirement home in Arizona. The color is really nice.....mount came out great, IMO.

3056473c4cef5c4ea45eda2c7ed04e3e9ba17.jpeg

BOHNTR )))---------->

WOW that mount is outstanding.
Taxi did a awesome job.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thanks for sharing the mount after the hunt...kind of completes the thread and I wish more hunters would post them. That's an awesome bear and even better w/ a bow!!! I'm doing my color phase boar in the exact same pose, mouth closed and seeing yours just reinforced my choice...thanks again!!!

Wow, what a beautiful bear. Congrats!! I'm curious how the rest of your buck hunt was. Did you enjoy the Bass Hill hunt?

>Wow, what a beautiful bear.
>Congrats!! I'm curious how
>the rest of your buck
>hunt was. Did you
>enjoy the Bass Hill hunt?
>

I had a good time up there (two years ago). It is a weather dependent hunt and after I arrowed the bear, I passed several nice CA bucks.....waiting for a big one I had seen. I passed a few in the 150" range......really wanted this one to come off of private onto the adjoining public parcel!

DSC-0020.jpg

BOHNTR )))---------->

Ya, I don't blame you. That's a dandy buck. Somehow they just know when to stay put. I've always wondered about that hunt. Some day I may have the points to draw. Thanks for the picture!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom