2020 BIG GAME JOB COMPLETION REPORTS?

Horniac

Very Active Member
I was wondering if anyone knows if the 2020 Big Game Job Completion Reports will be posted before the 1/31 NR elk deadline?

I have max points and wanted to review them before I applied. I have been religiously applying every year for the desert units either 100 & 124 but havent’t been lucky enough to draw a tag yet. I have read the drought really did a number on 124 the last couple of years and the elk herd has been in decline in that unit.

If they are not going to be available, I guess I could always apply and then modify my area choice before the 5/10 deadline.

Thanks,

Horniac

Last winter was one of the toughest I’ve seen in a long time along the i80 corridor. There was deep snow that didn’t melt all winter in that area. There was a lot more snow that melted and greened things up early last spring but it was hot and dry most of the summer with a few wildfires. Elk can usually move in deep snow better than deer or antelope so there likely wasn’t much elk winterkill compared to deer and antelope.

I wouldn’t say there has been that bad of drought in those units compared to the historic drought years around 2013.

Thanks for the input everyone!

I know the late hunts in the NW corner of the state produce more top end bulls but I’ll be solo if I draw and would rather have heat, sand, and rattlesnakes instead of cold, snow, and grizzlies haha...

Horniac

I don't know that I have seen a decline in the population in 124 from the drought. I suppose its possible but not from what I am seeing. I will say that the drought has affected antler growth. These bulls have not finished well the last couple of years. I am seeing and finding massive antlers up to their 4th and then the just lose it after that. Essentially all the moisture in this country comes from winter snowfall. Spring growth is good then quickly dies off. If we get any kind of late spring/early summer rain this stuff will grow. If not then there is about a week where stuff goes from dormant to green to brown. This has been the case the last couple of years.

Keep in mind both 124 and 100 are deserts, they aren't suppose to get a lot of moisture so if concerns about antler growth due to lack of moisture are an issue for you, you should look to different units.

I also agree with SS, 124 is better than 100. But 100 is a great hunt as well. I can't imagine not having a whole chit ton of fun hunting either unit.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom