2020 Draw Options

ARHunter

With the application due date approaching, I decided it is time to ask what some good options are around the 34 area. Obviously, I can't imagine our crew will be lucky enough to draw 34 elk again, so I am wondering what else we can apply for in the vicinity. I've heard antelope around Roswell is pretty good hunting, so I will definitely be applying for that. I will also be applying for the one-time Oryx hunt. Any advice on other big game animals I should be putting in for and on what units in that area? I should also mention that I am open to rifle, black powder, and archer. Thanks in advance!

Does the "AR" in your username stand for Arkansas? If so, consider what it will take to scout/learn a new area if you put in and draw.

Antelope are easy to find should you draw and WSMR oryx is a slam dunk if you have any salt about you (seasoned hunter).

Mulies and elk in units without experience in them are another story...

It does stand for Arkansas. And yeah, figuring out a new area can be tough. I have some family in the 34 area though, and I will be down there visiting some this summer. Depending on what/if I draw. I will do map planning and allocate a few days to scouting while in nm. I elk hunted 34 last year and had a blast. That pic in my avatar was taken there.

If I don’t draw anything, I plan on doing otc bear tag in 34.

Well, I can say that putting in for Valle Vidal won't require scouting to find elk. It will be a matter of seeing how the country ties together and how to get around.

There are really no easy draws for Non Res in NM, but, apply and hope to get lucky. Utilize your third choice because all your choices are considered. Deer is tough, but, doable if you draw in the southern part of the state. Hunts are only 5 days, so try to get early. Barbary also tough draw, but, good time of year to be out in the desert.

Thanks for the input, guys! My family member in nm will also be putting in. For me, it's not all about pulling the trigger. If they draw, I will be there for their hunt helping however I can (probably packing out their harvest) and cheering them on, so that will be a win too.

Believe Paul speaks the truth. There's also a handful of OTC hunts as you mentioned bear is one of those. Personally if you have a week to spare OTC barbs is one of my favorite.

I had not thought of that but will definitely search the forums for OTC barb info. I wonder how feasible harvesting one might be.

so here is where I'm at... I would love some input if it looks like I'm going about this wrong.

Elk:
1st choice - 34 archery
2nd choice - 34 muzzleloader
3rd choice - 34 rifle

Antelope:
1st choice - 32 earliest date
2nd choice - 32 mid-date
3rd choice - 32 last date

Mule Deer:
Only entry will be 34 archery. Other mule deer dates in that unit will interfere with my KS archery for whitetail. I saw some decent bucks I could have harvested with a rifle during the 34 elk hunt, but no way I could have got close enough to harvest them with a bow.

Oryx:
No clue. There are a ton of options, and I could probably use some tips here if certain times of the year are better.

and I'm planning 34 OTC for either bear, barbary, or turkey if I don't draw anything.

For oryx choose the timeframes that work best for your schedule keeping in mind it can be hot as hell during some hunts...

Small missile range wasn’t a slam dunk. Lots of hunters went home with unfilled tags who were seasoned.

Does the "AR" in your username stand for Arkansas? If so, consider what it will take to scout/learn a new area if you put in and draw.

Antelope are easy to find should you draw and WSMR oryx is a slam dunk if you have any salt about you (seasoned hunter).

Mulies and elk in units without experience in them are another story...
lled

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom