2020 elk otc

BradA

Very Active Member
Hello,
I'm looking at hunting southern Idaho in 2020 otc hunt and was wondering out of these units what one you would recommend. I enjoy glassing a lot and would look into hunting the rifle season, I don't mind hiking or walking and am young so it wouldn't be a issue. I have never killed a bull so would be thrilled to kill any bull. Thank for any suggestions or advice. The units I have looked over are 63,64,65,66,67,69,75,77,78

https://www.sagemuleys.com

The IDFG page is your friend, and has everything you could ask for in harvest statistics and plans, history and controlled hunt info.

63 is a desert hunt, primarily late season cows. Bulls in August are in velvet and only a small portion of the unit has. any.

64/67 is good with plenty of back country to hike and get away. Look at the management plan and you will see the elk numbers are half of what they are on the other side of the region, but success rates are similar.

66/69 is a larger area, more roads and more people but also double the population and harvest. Both of these zones run about 12-15% success with rifle hunts and are split evenly between bulls and cows.

Can't help on 75-78. Hunt deer down there, but have never seen or hunted elk. You'll just have to look up numbers yourself.

One other thing to think about is that you might as well put in for a draw tag if you are 100% sure you are coming. You can throw your name in the hat for one of the really good ones.

2 cents DZ

>One other thing to think about
>is that you might as
>well put in for a
>draw tag if you are
>100% sure you are coming.
> You can throw your
>name in the hat for
>one of the really good
>ones.
>
>2 cents DZ

Yeah that was my plan then when I don't draw one I can go to the over the counter option .

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-18 AT 05:06PM (MST)[p]Brad, hit up a guy on here with the username of Cactusbucks. He hunted a SE Idaho unit this year as a NR and might give you some firsthand info, what to expect and things he learned.

PM me if you need specific info on some of the units you listed.

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-18
>AT 05:06?PM (MST)

>
>Brad, hit up a guy on
>here with the username of
>Cactusbucks. He hunted a SE
>Idaho unit this year as
>a NR and might give
>you some firsthand info, what
>to expect and things he
>learned.
>
> PM me if you need
>specific info on some of
>the units you listed.

Sent you a pm and I will try and find that user as well and send him a pm thank you .

66/69 has plenty of elk, but lots of hunters. 95% of bull elk killed on the general hunts will be spikes and raghorns. You cannot hike far enough to get away from people, especially in the rifle season. The illegal ATV hunters will drive you nuts on the south side of the unit. That said, never been a year where someone in our group didn't get into the elk, except for five years ago when the forest service started up their controlled burns the day before the general season. Saw more forest service ATVs on closed trails then DFW enforcement agents. Had a helicopter drop fire within 50 yards of where my buddy had his mule tied! Would have fought the 7 day War that year in 67, had I known what the FS had planned for 66.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-18 AT 05:01PM (MST)[p]BradA,

Blank summed up the units really well. He knows those areas very well. The Bear River Range (75,77,78) have elk but is a tough hunt.I've never hunted elk in these units but have killed deer in those units when the elk hunt is open. From what I've seen is many of the elk will be either on private land or in thick cover during the mid October bull hunt.
OTC in Idaho will give you the opportunity to hunt but killing an elk won't be easy. If you are willing to work hard for a spike or rage horn and realize you still have a good chance of going home with tag soup then I would say go for it. If you are hoping to see a lot of elk and kill a 300"+ bull then you will likely be disappointed.

I appreciate the info on the units, it should help me make a choice a little easier. I don't mind hiking and getting away from roads and understand that I can always go home empty handed and hunting isn't a for sure bet. Thank you for the help in trying to decide.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom