2020 GMU 66 4th Season Buck

MG209

After many yrs of building points I put in and drew Unit 66 4th. I scouted the area for 4 days and hunted 4 days. Saw dozens and dozens of bucks but passed. On the third day my friend spotted a great buck heading into steep timbered country. The next morning after about an hour of intense glassing I was able to drop the hammer on him:
20201121_123001.jpg

20201122_103521.jpg

20201122_091254.jpg

For the rifle gurus I used 150gr GMXs over RS Big Game from my custom 30/06 Rem 700 Titanium, McMillan Hunters Edge stock with Rock 5R barrel screwed on by Truman Wilson in Delta, CO (retired now). This is the same rifle I used in Unit 61 last year for my big bull.

I want to thank all of you who graciously provided info and tips for this hunt, it sure makes up for alot of past tag soup.

A big thank you to Bobby Esplin of Esplin's Wildlife Studio out of Delta CO and Jake Kramer from Montrose CO. Both hunters were looking for bulls for their wives in the same unit. Bobby's wife Fran made a great kill shot on a bull the day before and they watched the great buck head into the nearby steep timbered canyon. The rest is history as they say.
20201121_121239.jpg

A great buck deserves a top notch taxidermist:
41826.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty buck....How long were the main-beams? Those long 4ths are really something!
IIRC Bobby said the main beams were approximately 22 5/8". We were both really tired from the hunt at that time and he's going to measure him soon.

That’s a great buck congratulations! I’m curious to see what he tapes out at. Gotta love how clean and symmetrical he is!

After many yrs of building points I put in and drew Unit 66 4th. I scouted the area for 4 days and hunted 4 days. Saw dozens and dozens of bucks but passed. On the third day my friend spotted a great buck heading into steep timbered country. The next morning after about an hour of intense glassing I was able to drop the hammer on him:
View attachment 18600
View attachment 18601
View attachment 18602
For the rifle gurus I used 150gr GMXs over RS Big Game from my custom 30/06 Rem 700 Titanium, McMillan Hunters Edge stock with Rock 5R barrel screwed on by Truman Wilson in Delta, CO (retired now). This is the same rifle I used in Unit 61 last year for my big bull.

I want to thank all of you who graciously provided info and tips for this hunt, it sure makes up for alot of past tag soup.
Congrats!

Probably not as high as your thinking. Camera angles can be an amazing thing. Congrats on a good looking buck. Looks like he had some good body weight to him.
Congrats on a great buck. I would think he is in the 180s with those deep fronts.

I'll add Unit 66 is full of crab forks and 3x4s. The great genetics are still there but one has to wade thru many lesser bucks to find one. I only heard of one giant class buck taken and met quite a few of the tag holders for the 4th.

Definitely an exceptional buck MG! Love the symmetry and deep forks, it’s really a beautiful buck. I would take one like that any day. Congrats!

Well I thought I was a shoe in for a 3rd season 66 last year with 19 PP but wasn't to be. Maybe this year.

Awesome buck man, congrats! I should draw a 66 3rd rifle tag this year. I applied for 67 4th last year, but was one of 4 I think that didn't draw with 22 points. I'd probably be a point behind again this year, so not gonna keep chasing that or the 66 4th. The 3rd season this year is close to the dates of 4th last year, so hoping I at least see one like that!

Well I thought I was a shoe in for a 3rd season 66 last year with 19 PP but wasn't to be. Maybe this year.
It took 20 PP to guarantee the 3rd season last year, I'd be surprised if it's not at least 21 this year. I've heard some guys speculate on a podcast that the 3rd and 4th seasons in top units could jump 5-6 points over what it took last year due to the late seasons this year.

It took 20 PP to guarantee the 3rd season last year, I'd be surprised if it's not at least 21 this year. I've heard some guys speculate on a podcast that the 3rd and 4th seasons in top units could jump 5-6 points over what it took last year due to the late seasons this year.
Well I'm sure not confident in my ability to draw this year but who knows.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom