2020 MR Metcalf pack

rachele39

Wondering if anyone has one. Ordered one blind last night, my old pack zipper is acting up and it was time to replace it. Have zero stores within 100 miles to try any of the pack brands on. Watched a lot of youtube videos and it seemed pretty good for the price I got it for. Rarely go for more than 3 day pack trips. 90% of my hunts are mule deer & antelope. A few black bear and elk hunts but I've got enough pts in the near future to start pulling some bull tags. Also drew a Utah sheep tag this year, thus a few upgrades to my stockpile of gear.
Want to know if it's as good as they say at hauling loads, the new and older versions holding up, zippers, fabric, comfort, etc. Should of asked before I ordered it but it was $100 cheaper than the other sites I checked and $300 less than some of the other packs I wanted. Wife has her limits on my problem as she calls it!

If the 2020 improvements make this pack better, I think you’ll really love it! I have the 2018 model, no complaints or problems here...
There are definitely some great deals going on right now. I’ll be picking up the 2020 Marshall soon! Congrats on the sheep tag, do you mind if I ask what hunt it is? I drew a sheep tag a few years ago, and would love to help if I could!
That Metcalf will due just fine for a Utah sheep hunt...
Congrats again, and good luck!!

NR Book Cliffs South rocky mtn bighorn. I'll keep that in mind, I haven't made any plans yet. I'm sure your experience would be very helpful. What state are you located in? I have another week of waiting to see if my daughter or I draw here in CA. I'm due for our better antelope tag, we struck out everywhere else we put in for. I've looked up all the info I could get off the Utah website and plotted all the kill sites and dates for the past few years and the post hunt helicopter surveys and the locations stay pretty consistent. I'm going to talk to the biologist and get his 2 cents and see if I can't find previous tag holders and see what they have to say. Most of the sheep are killed early on but it would be cool to see them in the rut but not if all the big rams are already dead.
I'm glad you like the Metcalf pack, I don't like buying stuff I can't try on or check out but I didn't want to put off getting gear to the last minute and the price was too good to pass up. Bill

I live in Utah, but I’m not familiar with that unit...
But it sounds like you’ve really done everything you can now besides get out there! If you do happen to talk to the bio, ask if they have any collard sheep and if they can give you a ping map?
Hope you have a good experience and some good luck!
Josh

I'll ask when I talk to him, thanks. I've seen the area from the highway several times on my way to Colorado. Never stopped and checked it out though, never had the extra time. I've thought about getting a deer tag there but I didn't want to burn my points on an area I'm unfamiliar with. I'll PM you when I get a better idea of what I'm doing. By the way did you get your sheep and was it in Utah?

I drive by there every three years myself on my way to hunt deer in Colorado... I’d love to check that country out! Looks totally different once you get up in there, then what you interstate 70 I hear?
How many deer points do you have? The Books aren’t what they used to be for sure, but still some nice bucks are taken every year...
And yes, I did get my sheep (desert), and yes, it was in Utah. Pine Valley unit...
I went unguided, but have some friends that knew the area pretty well. Not a giant, a low 160’s ram, but I’m happy with him!
0F449A6D-9B37-4AF7-8997-68743D949DE9.jpeg
046DB1A5-8AEE-4973-8BBE-95E6A618C54E.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom