2020 Pheasant hunt

Gator

Long Time Member
Raising(Family) up 1000 hens to turn loose back in SD. hoping for a good crop of chicks out them. Family has been seeing a lot pheasants out in the morning so it looks like it should a good hatch as long as it rains to make bugs and more bugs.
As always looking forward to the Nov hunt 2nd weekend.

Bugs is the master key for a good a recruitment for sure.
Seems kind of late for birds to be nesting up?

Born and raised there, Have a ton of family that farm and ranch there have over 15,000 acres to hunt and adding more. I go back every Nov. we stay on family farms most are 3 and 4 bedrooms with kids have grown up and have there own places so the bedrooms are empty. lots of sloughes, tree belts, Crp, creek bottoms, fence lines, corn fields, soy beans,milo, etc
I have invited several guys to come each year got some who go back every year with us they are almost family now. LOL. We drive back(leave Fri 2 am Hunting on Sat 10 am) and take our own dogs. Usually 3 to a crewcab style truck one driving one riding shotgun and one in the back seat sleeping every 6 hours it a stop to fill up and let the dog out then it back on the road from my place here in Ca its 24 hr drive straight thru gives us another day to hunt. We stay a week.
Small town of Carpenter.

Bugs is the master key for a good a recruitment for sure.
Seems kind of late for birds to be nesting up?
I've got hens in my flight pen sitting in eggs right now, and one of my Bobwhites are about to go broody I believe. It's late but not unheard of.

Turned them all loose, keep a few(65) back to see if we can hatch out some next spring.
This year season should be outstanding if the weather is good and they are able to combine the crops off.
Last year lots standing water and very few fields of corn was combined. THE WEATHER sucked too. LOL
The wild hatch was really good too so it should be a great year.

The corn is being combined quickly. alot area's will have the corn picked by opener.
Everyone is thinking it going to be a great season due the amount of pheasants that made thru last years season and a low winter kill.
A good hatch with lots of bugs mean more pheasants made it.
Now hoping for good weather for this Nov hunt.

Some Midwest cornfields are burning up from fire and drought. Asking farmers not to harvest due to fire risk. How's your area looking?

My brothers and families have been cutting silage corn at a good clip. They figure to be done by the time I show up NOV 7th with combining also.

My family is saying there is a lot of birds coming out the corn fields as they harvest the corn. Hope it is as good as the old days. LOL

Wow, reading this and it sounds soo familiar, just change the small town to Florence, SD. Small world... Hope you have a great hunt, I'm hearing solid reports from an hour NE of you.

They already know, That because I'm the smart one in a Huge family. SOMEONE has to be right and vote for the one that gets Elected.
LOL good luck on Murder Tuesday Homer.
you might need it, OR you might not.
Which Polls are right.

Wow, reading this and it sounds soo familiar, just change the small town to Florence, SD. Small world... Hope you have a great hunt, I'm hearing solid reports from an hour NE of you.
About 1 hour or so away is about right. 5 " of snow last week.
Crop are just about done, so the sloughs should have lots of birds in them. 5 degrees at night 30 and 40's during the day.
Nov is time to hunt those Ditch Parrots and see alot of good Whitetail Bucks starting into the rut.. Got lots of family around Clark.

Thanks Gator.....and have a great hunt.

I bet reading things the rest of the family writes is REALLY hard to understand....lol

Yes that true the only read the $$$$$$$$$$ sign they get from farming all that land. So which town do you call home Bakersfield or Oildale.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom