2020 point creep

Leo

I’m curious what the Colorado experts think. What kind of point creep do you guys think we’ll see this year for the deer tags that took 12-14 points last year? Are most guys with that many points going to hold out for the 2021 season dates?

I think point creep for deer in Colorado will stay close to the same or rise slightly 2020 & 2021. Then there will actually be a slight drop-off when hunters begin to realize Colorado isn’t the heavy hitter it once was and isn’t coming back anytime soon. About 3-4 years of rifle hunts almost being entirely during the month of November ought to do a fine job of nailing down that coffin.

I’m curious what the Colorado experts think. What kind of point creep do you guys think we’ll see this year for the deer tags that took 12-14 points last year? Are most guys with that many points going to hold out for the 2021 season dates?
not an expert but my gut feeling is alot of guys are gonna hold points for 2020 knowing the later dates for 2021 just a year away so I think creep will not creep up this year but then 2021 will double up

I don’t consider myself an expert but I’ve been hunting Colorado off and on for the last 45 years.
I dumped 15 deer points last year and I believe a lot of guys like me are wanting out of the points chase.
The 2020 deer seasons are five days later than the 2019 seasons.
With the later dates for 2020 I think you’re going to see a jump in point creep this year. Especially since Colorado mule deer hunting is on a downturn and I believe folks are going to want to hunt sooner than later.
That’s just my opinion and only time will tell for sure.

A lot of variables. Hard to say. Half the guys want to spend the points now before it gets worse. Some guys want to delay until 2021 for the late dates, and others may only do points because they are/will be taking a financial hit becuase of the Virus. DOW may issue fewer deer tags when they count fewer deer this year.

The 2020 dates are now five days later than the 2019 dates were.
How much later are the 2021 dates going to be than the 2020 dates?

The 2021 dates for 3rd are November 13-19. Last nail in the coffin type dates. Colorado mule deer hunting as we know it will be over in 2 years.

I think you’re going to see some serious point dumping in 20 and 21 with a lot of disappointed people when the dust settles. Chits criminal as to what Colorado Destruction of wildlife is doing to the deer herd. Not sure how cutting tag numbers back, eliminating doe tags west of i25 and ramping up predator management is such a difficult concept for them to grasp. Loosing revenue for a couple years to help herds rebound versus loosing it potentially forever but conducting a slaughter of winter range bucks makes more sense to me ??‍♂️

Last edited:
I agree but CPW is on a mission to make our deer hunting worse then Utah. Get it in the next two years fellas because after that we will all be shooting forkies.

Nobody thinks this COVID-19 and job losses are going to keep people out this year? I predict better odds this year both because of the virus and because 2021 dates are much later.

Lots of talk on websites and in magazines about the significantly later dates for 2021. But I haven't seen anyone discuss the moon. 2020 3rd season ends on a new moon and 2021 season ends on a full moon. Just another factor to consider.

Also the third season was shortened by a couple days.

I burned my points last year so I don't have to worry about creep, but one of my sons has 12 points and had hoped to draw last year but didn't and is wanting to draw this year or next!

Lots of talk on websites and in magazines about the significantly later dates for 2021. But I haven't seen anyone discuss the moon. 2020 3rd season ends on a new moon and 2021 season ends on a full moon. Just another factor to consider.

Also the third season was shortened by a couple days.

I burned my points last year so I don't have to worry about creep, but one of my sons has 12 points and had hoped to draw last year but didn't and is wanting to draw this year or next!

Just my .02....
The moon phases really seem to affect elk the most from my experience. If the stars line up like they should and you get weather and the rut kicks in it won’t effect the deer too bad. If it’s like the past couple years where the weather is dry/warm and little no rut activity the bucks are holing up anyways despite the moon phases.

I drew a 44 tag the 4th season quite a few years ago when it was a full moon, crunchy snow, and around 65 degrees. It made for a super tough hunt. Bucks were with does at night and headed into the trees during daylight. I did see some whopper bucks on that particular hunt but I had to work even harder to find them. I mostly only saw them during first daylight and dusk which meant a lot of long, boring hours during the day.

If it is cloudy during a full moon and with the right conditions it may not matter as much as if it's super nice. In deer units with a pile of OTC elk hunters running up and down roads that add to hunting pressure the smart ole bucks obviously know hunters are in the field so they are holed up pretty tight. Just because the seasons are later doesn't necessarily mean the hunting will improve. If all the stars align with weather, moon, and everything else there could be increased harvest...but those years don't come around that often.

I think you’re going to see some serious point dumping in 20 and 21 with a lot of disappointed people when the dust settles. Chits criminal as to what Colorado Destruction of wildlife is doing to the deer herd. Not sure how cutting tag numbers back, eliminating doe tags west of i25 and ramping up predator management is such a difficult concept for them to grasp. Loosing revenue for a couple years to help herds rebound versus loosing it potentially forever but conducting a slaughter of winter range bucks makes more sense to me ??‍♂️

Chits criminal as to the way 'Colorado Construction for non wildlife' is ruining our gorgeous state. South Aurora sub divisions went up so fast the deer don't know what to do??? From Thorton to the Wyoming border it is concrete and asphalt.

I'd dump those points fast..point creep due to population BOOM.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom