2021 4th season thoughts

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
What are everyone’s thoughts on 2021 4th season? Sure the dates are going to be super late but you’re going to be hunting right after a super late 3rd season. So at first glance it sounds good but then you have to consider a late 3rd season right in front of it. Thoughts?

Probably depends upon the unit, weather, and conditions during each season. This can change from one year to the next. Full moon, warm temps, crunchy snow, no snow, etc may happen in either season.

The rut will likely be going stronger the 4th season? The 4th season also has limited elk tags in OTC units....so possibly less hunting pressure than the 3rd.

I didnt believe the hype about there being no bucks left in the northwest units, so I grabbed myself a late season cow tag and spent some time in the north west corner of the state. In the month of Dec I spent a week and a half total roaming and glassing areas that I had seen upwards of 100 deer per day in the past. Usually we would see 20-30 bucks per day. In the entire week I saw maybe 20 deer total and 4 bucks. The biggest was a 24" 3 point. Now I believe the rumors and can agree with the others. It is the worst deer conditions I have ever seen in Colorado in 20 years

That's quite a grim report on the bucks & deer overall! How sad. Disgusting to say the very least. That's what I felt back in '74 after the monster die off from the killer Winter of '72-'73. Nothing left to hunt. ?? Jerry Gold-- Ft Collins, Colorado

I’ve spent a lot of time looking this year on the winter ranges to and from work, from the house and running around every weekend in Eagle, Gunnison, Garfield, Mesa and Rio Blanco counties and I can count on one hand the amount of bucks I’ve seen that will break 180, I usually see 25 plus between units; 11,22,25,26,32,33,34,35,36,42,43,44,54,55,444, and 551

That’s a real shame Coloradoboy, that’s the same here in Idaho in the best units, to many tags after winter kills and I starting to believe just to much human pressure from all activities.

So Colorado trophy muleys are toast. Let's look at other muley states with public land options statewide.

Dakotas? Nope
Nebraska? Nope
Kansas? Private.
New Mexico. A unit or two.
Arizona. Got a few great lotto type units.
Utah. Got a handful of units.
Montana. Nope, ok maybe 1.
Nevada. Might be the next best option.
Oregon. Nope
Washington. Nope
Idaho. Has a few units.
Wyoming. Has a few areas.

Looks like we're running out of places if CO goes down the tubes.

So Colorado trophy muleys are toast. Let's look at other muley states with public land options statewide.

Dakotas? Nope
Nebraska? Nope
Kansas? Private.
New Mexico. A unit or two.
Arizona. Got a few great lotto type units.
Utah. Got a handful of units.
Montana. Nope, ok maybe 1.
Nevada. Might be the next best option.
Oregon. Nope
Washington. Nope
Idaho. Has a few units.
Wyoming. Has a few areas.

Looks like we're running out of places if CO goes down the tubes.
Mule deer are a dying thing across the west is the reality. Colorado is just proof of what poor management, over harvest and loss of habitat does to a traditionally strong deer herd. I’m about to the point of shifting my efforts to elk with the direction things are headed. I just consider myself lucky at this point that I got to enjoy some decent mule deer hunting in my life that I’m doubtful my children and their children will never get to experience the direction things are headed.

If there’s a mature buck left standing in the state by 2022 it’s going to be goddam miracle.

Coloradoboy
Hello Colorado Boy- I sent you a message yesterday about 67 4 th season possibility for this season- but 12 points might not get it done either. A very grim assessment you’ve made ! I know most areas are really in the
dumpster for deer. Darn it.
It might be better to try trophy elk, I have 15 elk points but only know about 61 1st rifle, not Very Early Rifle, not enough points. Any thoughts on that ? I’m 73 going on 74 this year, so the walls are closing in a bit , but I still move reasonably well & am healthy most all of the time !!
My favorite game- big antelope bucks,
but only have 7 points in Colorado & can’t locate a sleeper area yet for a super trophy buck. Please drop me a reply when you can. Thanks a lot ! Jerry Gold- Windsor,
Co ?
EM: [email protected]
Cell: 307-772-1623

there's really no question CO is still be best mule deer state so the demand is only going to grow. however bad you think it is go elsewhere and you'll find it's worse.

Dr. Giest said in his book the mule deer would go extinct . unless something changes it will be sooner than anyone believed. I wish there was cause for optimism but if there is I haven't heard it.

there's really no question CO is still be best mule deer state so the demand is only going to grow. however bad you think it is go elsewhere and you'll find it's worse.

Dr. Giest said in his book the mule deer would go extinct . unless something changes it will be sooner than anyone believed. I wish there was cause for optimism but if there is I haven't heard it.
Haha. From what I have seen the last 2 years. Eastern MT has better deer than Western Colorado!

Colorado has produced more B&C bucks than the next 3 highest producing states combined in the last decade.

So whatever it is CO is doing wrong the rest of us need to copycat.

Yep, all the deer are gone, slaughtered. Just give up as there is nothing left in Colorado. Stay home and save yourself some money.

Rich

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom