2021 Alaska moose hunt


New Member
This was my 3rd DIY hunting trip to Alaska, after 2 successful caribou hunts, I was going with a resident friend for moose. We were approx. 270 miles north of Fairbanks, and had river access with my friends airboat. We made it to the river and got camp set up by 6pm on the 11th, and spent the evening cow calling every 30 minutes. The next morning around 11am, I spotted a big bull crossing down river about 600 yards away. I made my way to the down river end of the gravel bar with hopes the big bull would here our repeated calls and turn our way. At the same time we heard some grunts in the opposite direction, and to my surprise another bull was coming in from the up river direction. I made my way toward the other end of the gravel bar, and found a good seat on a drift log. I had a good rest on my shooting sticks as the bull stood broadside at 200 yards. I probably should have kept calling in attempt to bring the bull across the river to our island, but the anticipation of harvesting my first moose took over! I could see that the bull sported 4 brow tines on his left side, so I didn't worry about trying to estimate if he was 50 inches wide. I put the 200 yard crosshairs of my BDC scope about 8 inches down from his back and about 8 inches back of his left shoulder. On the first shot I saw him hunch his shoulders a little, but he just stood there. I jacked another round and watched him still standing as if nothing was happening. I moved closer about 10 yards and rested my Winchester Pre 64 Model 70, chambered in .270, on his chest again. after this shot he decided to turn and head into the trees. I let one more round fly in his direction, but I don't believe it connected. We spent about 45 excruciating minutes before loading up in the airboat and traveling across to where he disappeared into the trees. It was a short search as he laid not 30 yards away. He measured 55 inches and had 4 brows on the left with 3 on the right, plus one broken off. Three shots connected in a 2 1/2 inch group. That day was spent quartering him out and moving the meat to a safe area. Two days later my friend filled his tag with a 52 1/2 inch, 4x5. We were done and off the river in 6 days, and before the bottom fell out of the weather .


Very Active Member
Congratulations on a beautiful Bull. I am out looking for a Big Bull for my daughter. Yesterday was magical, I saw over 30 Moose yesterday

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom