2021 AZ Elk/Antelope Regs Are Out

Yep I saw that also. I'll burn my 17 points this year on 27. I know it's a physical unit but I'm tired of waiting. May put in for 1 first choice and 27 second but with my amount of points it will probably be 27 for archery elk. Can't wait if I get it.

Yep I saw that also. I'll burn my 17 points this year on 27. I know it's a physical unit but I'm tired of waiting. May put in for 1 first choice and 27 second but with my amount of points it will probably be 27 for archery elk. Can't wait if I get it.
I would seriously consider next year when the archery dates are better. Just a thought

Thanks for that Info Roy I was all set to use my 12 NR points on a “mid tier” unit this year I may have to rethink my plans.

Thanks for that Info Roy I was all set to use my 12 NR points on a “mid tier” unit this year I may have to rethink my plans.
All props fo to WapitiBob who sent me the ‘formula’ on dates.....I’m not near as good at math as he is, so I went to my local regional office and asked? ?

I'm sitting on 20 elk and 17 pronghorn points but am no longer able to hunt. So now I have to decide whether I still want to continue buying BPs or just quit altogether, thus losing the loyalty point for each.

Even with a Champ tag, any altitude would make for a miserable hunt with my mush-for-lungs. I'm 79 now and have had a very fruitful harvest of game critters over the past 60 years. Although I really wanted to draw a rut elk hunt here, I won't be downtrodden if it never happens. ;)

Even with a Champ tag, any altitude would make for a miserable hunt with my mush-for-lungs. I'm 79 now and have had a very fruitful harvest of game critters over the past 60 years. Although I really wanted to draw a rut elk hunt here, I won't be downtrodden if it never happens. ;)
It would be a shame to let that many points go to waste I wonder if there’s someway you can share your points with a youth or veteran to allow them to draw a good tag ?

Actually with Point Guard here, I can draw and turn over the permit to a legit charity, thus retaining the points. But I'm out the full cost of the permit, draw and PG fees if I do that.

I’m pretty sure he can only donate to a grandchild under 18, or son if under 18. Only way to donate not to a family member is thru a certified Arizona game/fish organization.

i would draw a solid tag, donate it and let a youth that has disabilities have a hunt of a lifetime.

Hello OutdoorWriter,
What is the max elevation that your lungs can handle? I may have a recommendation if you can handle 5000 to 6000 ft and a 1/4 mile walk. I won't say where but, in 2018 & 2019, I was asked to help two different guys by calling in bulls in a unit I never seriously considered for big elk. Both hunters were successfull with multiple opportunities each. Let me know if you can handle that elevation.
Merry Christmas,

Elkchaser

I’m pretty sure he can only donate to a grandchild under 18, or son if under 18. Only way to donate not to a family member is thru a certified Arizona game/fish organization.

i would draw a solid tag, donate it and let a youth that has disabilities have a hunt of a lifetime.
Anyone can pay him to put in together on a group app. Points would be averaged though.

I don't have either but could donate to a charitable org.

Hello OutdoorWriter,
What is the max elevation that your lungs can handle? I may have a recommendation if you can handle 5000 to 6000 ft and a 1/4 mile walk. I won't say where but, in 2018 & 2019, I was asked to help two different guys by calling in bulls in a unit I never seriously considered for big elk. Both hunters were successfull with multiple opportunities each. Let me know if you can handle that elevation.
Merry Christmas,

Elkchaser
I appreciate the offer but doubt I could handle it. I went to Prescott a couple years ago and even there my breathing sucked. I had to increase my portable O2 flow to double. Since then I've had more damage after a severe bout of pneumonia last March that had me in the hospital and rehab for more than a month.

And Merry Christmas to you as well.

Bumping someone up from say 15 points to make an 18 point party app would bring $3,000 + fees easily, and you could do it again next year. If you couldn't hunt the next year, donate the tag.

Actually with Point Guard here, I can draw and turn over the permit to a legit charity, thus retaining the points. But I'm out the full cost of the permit, draw and PG fees if I do that.
Don't give up now you could really make someone's dreams come through by donating to OE4A (Outdoor Experience For All) or other charitable organization! What an impact you can make and retain your points! :)

In 2022 the archery season dates are scheduled to open September 16 through September 29th.....MUCH better dates for rut activity, IMO.
What drives the opening date? I'm looking at the calendar and it appears to be the second Friday after the first Wednesday. Thanks BH!

Taken from the AZ G&F season structure formula:

“Early archery on Friday of week 37 or week 38 if an early general bull hunt starts on Friday of week 37”

In 2022 it will be week 38 based on the rule and according to G&F staff. The 38th Friday is September 16.

Taken from the AZ G&F season structure formula:

“Early archery on Friday of week 37 or week 38 if an early general bull hunt starts on Friday of week 37”

In 2022 it will be week 38 based on the rule and according to G&F staff. The 38th Friday is September 16.
That's simple enough!! Thanks BH!

"37th week or week 38 if early general bull hunt starts on week 37". The way I read that is the unit that has the early archery and early firearm hunt start date switched in 2022 will start on week 38. One early archery hunt ( unit 22 in 2021) will start a week later, week 38. IMO All but one early archery hunt will start on Sept 9 2022. ( 37th week) . 2023 will be the year the dates swing back and the early archery hunts will start on Sept 15 , the 37th week. Except one unit if they keep rotating a unit to switch a early firearms hunt start date with.

That’s a great point....and how I read it......when I went to confirm but the staff at the G&F told me differently.

Maybe Bob could chime in......I would trust how he interprets the rule.

Kathy Ford told me season normally starts on week 37. Looking back thru the years, these are the start dates and week.
2006, 9/22-10/5
2007, 9/14 37
2008, 9/12 37
2009, 9/11 37
2010, 9/10 36
2011, 9/09 36
2012, 9/14 37
2013, 9/13 37
2014, 9/12 37
2015, 9/11 37
2016, 9/09 36
2017, 9/15 37
2018, 9/14 37
2019, 9/13 37
2020, 9/11 37
2021, 9/10 36
2022, 9/16 is week 37

Well that does it I'm waiting one more year getting my hunters ed point so I roll into 2022 with 19 and a season that start on the 16th. Guess I'll switch gears and look toward CO for 2021!

Kathy Ford told me season normally starts on week 37. Looking back thru the years, these are the start dates and week.
2006, 9/22-10/5
2007, 9/14 37
2008, 9/12 37
2009, 9/11 37
2010, 9/10 36
2011, 9/09 36
2012, 9/14 37
2013, 9/13 37
2014, 9/12 37
2015, 9/11 37
2016, 9/09 36
2017, 9/15 37
2018, 9/14 37
2019, 9/13 37
2020, 9/11 37
2021, 9/10 36
2022, 9/16 is week 37

Week 37 9/14/2018 9/13/2019 9/11/2020 9/10/2021 9/9/2022

From Fin Little's linked doc.

I have that dept document. Every weekly calendar I've looked at shows friday of week 37 in 2022 as 9/16 except that AZG&F calendar.

edit, I did find one calendar that showed 53 weeks in year 2022 and week 37 with 9/9/2022.

Last edited:
I have no clue and really does not impact me, but seems if that is what is in their doc. that is what they will use?

If you google week 37 of 2022 Sept 16 is Friday of the 37th week. We will know next year at this time I guess. Happy New Year Az elk hunters !

I have no clue and really does not impact me, but seems if that is what is in their doc. that is what they will use?

Not sure but I sent an email. She'll get clarification from the Game Branch. The confusion is coming from the guideline calendar which shows 12/31/2021 as the first week of 2022 rather than week 52 of 2021.

Last edited:
I was just listening to Jay Scott’s podcast with Steve Chappell he said dates won’t rotate till 2023 for what it’s worth.

I was just listening to Jay Scott’s podcast with Steve Chappell he said dates won’t rotate till 2023 for what it’s worth.
I wonder how many high point holders will hold off until 2023 to burn their points for the better season dates? If I was at 20+ points I would likely consider that myself, but going into the 2021 draw with 13 pts I'll take whatever quality elk tag I can get!

Sure hope we get some moisture or the bulls will be struggling next season; won't matter what hunt a guy has. Havent seen it this dry ever. Pray for moisture.

I drew unit 9 archery in 2009 and it started on Sept 11 (IIRC). It was a tough hunt with very few bugles.
Yup. I had the same hunt, but in 4A. It was the 11th. I didn’t fill my tag as it was very quiet. A few weeks after the hunt I was helping a friend and his son on a youth cow hunt in the same unit. I heard more bugles in Oct than I did on my early bull!

IMO, and I’m no expert and at least here in AZ, the later we get into September, the better the hunt is.

"Good morning Bob;
I finally received the information regarding the week count. AZGFD counts week 1 that has January 1st in it.
I hope this helps, at least a little.
Have a great day!"

"Good morning Bob;
I finally received the information regarding the week count. AZGFD counts week 1 that has January 1st in it.
I hope this helps, at least a little.
Have a great day!"
What is their definition of a week?

Saturday to Friday?
Sunday to Saturday?

So does that mean the season dates are:

- 9/10/2021
- 9/9/2022
- 9/15/2023
- 9/13/2024

Last edited:
BWHT4X4 , You were wondering about high point holders waiting for 2023. I have 17 and will wait unless lightning strikes and I draw 9 random tag. My 9 tag in 05 started on 9/16 And a bothers 9 hunt in 98 started 9/18 and both were amazing bugle fest hunts. Other brothers 2011 9 hunt started 9/09 I think, it was early. Completely different hunt.Not even close on rut action. My next Az hunt probably won't be 9 but it will be the later start day.

BWHT4X4 , You were wondering about high point holders waiting for 2023. I have 17 and will wait unless lightning strikes and I draw 9 random tag. My 9 tag in 05 started on 9/16 And a bothers 9 hunt in 98 started 9/18 and both were amazing bugle fest hunts. Other brothers 2011 9 hunt started 9/09 I think, it was early. Completely different hunt.Not even close on rut action. My next Az hunt probably won't be 9 but it will be the later start day.
Fin,

Thanks for the info. For some reason I think we spoke in 2009 when I had my archery tag in 9 in 2009.

I'm sitting here reading Epic Outdoors and thinking what units would be good to apply in for a random tag. Since it's a random tag I might as well go big!!! Good luck to you in the draws.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom