2021 Colorado Mule Deer (8 NR Points)

gfontela

I have 8 nonresident points and would like to try and burn them in 2021. I'm hoping to find a unit/hunt that would offer me high success rates at a 170" type of buck. This will be my 3rd mule deer hunt ever, so I'm not that experienced and I won't be able to scout before the season as I live in Florida. With the late season dates, I'm assuming my best bet would be either 2nd, 3rd or 4th seasons, but I'm open to any suggestions or ideas.

Third season will probably offer the best chance at a 170" buck with 8 points. Should be at least a hand full of units where you can draw a tag.
Another really fun (although physically harder) option is an early rifle tag. The mountains are spectacular in Sept and the bucks are usually still in their bachelor herds and quite visible against the green vegetation.

With 8pts, I would look at the 2nd or 3rd season and do your research on the unit you chose prior to applying. With point creep, expect that whatever it took to draw in 2020, will take one or two additional points to draw in 2021.

I'm in a similar boat with 10pts. for next year.

Good luck

I figured I would apply for a unit that took 6 points in 2020 to make sure that I can draw it in 2021 with 8 points. I know that second season will be at the beginning of November in 2021 which is why I'm considering second season, so I guess the big question is whether I'd be better off going to a better unit 2nd season at the beginning of November or a lesser unit 3rd season in mid November.

Personally I would suggest the 3rd season hunt in what may be interpreted as a lesser unit. From my experience, just about any unit in Colorado at least has the potential to deliver a trophy muley. Obviously some are better than others. But I've seen guys pull 200's in 3rd or 4th rifle out of units you would swear didn't have a buck over 2-1/2 years old if you only judged it on a 2nd season hunt. Rut can make it look like a whole different unit and come alive.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom