2021 draw odds are out

I didn't get around checking it until today. It is very interesting to see how tags that use to be almost a guarantee were much more difficult to draw this year. Hopefully this doesn't become the new normal.

I didn't get around checking it until today. It is very interesting to see how tags that use to be almost a guarantee were much more difficult to draw this year. Hopefully this doesn't become the new normal.

It will. 282,006 total applications this year for a total of 61,990 avaliable tags (excludes bear and turkey). When people aren't penalized for not applying over the years, expect things like this to happen.

I was chided, or ridiculed, by someone that claimed I didn't know how the draw worked because I didn't know how to "study and plan". My response was what happens when you get to be the one that is always chosen last and the tags are assigned before your number came up.

This year, that reality probably hit home to several that "study and plan" and have always had things work out in their favor.

And then there's the guy down the street that once again pulled tags that conventional "study and plan" logic tells you not to apply for...

This year, that reality probably hit home to several that "study and plan" and have always had things work out in their favor.

I was able to pick up at least a deer tag every year for 6 years straight in NM (2014-2020) with "study and plan". Most years I also picked up a tag for an additional species besides deer. I knew that it wasn't a guarantee to draw in 2021 but I was still disappointed by "all red" on my draw results this year.

I do have a deer tag in Colorado and OTC Idaho and OTC archery deer in AZ. This last coyote season, I probably only gave 30 NM coyotes a dirt nap. I'll probably put a little more pressure on the coyotes in my spare time starting in about 2 months.

It's hard to watch the odds for hunts get worse every year. I wonder how bad they have to get before that nonrefundable game hunting license becomes a deterrent. I think it worked out to about $30 per application because I submitted 4 applications.

I guess I need to apply for everything to lower the average. :)

It's hard to watch the odds for hunts get worse every year. I wonder how bad they have to get before that nonrefundable game hunting license becomes a deterrent. I think it worked out to about $30 per application because I submitted 4 applications.

I guess I need to apply for everything to lower the average. :)

NM's draw system needs to do it by species so you compete with only others in the pool for that species, or even by unit, instead of doing a complete random and competing with other pools for other species. Doing it this way may just give you the opportunity to pull a tag more than once in a lifetime to hunt an average unit.

I don't think there were any hunts this year that were a 100% draw as 1st choice applicant, but then I haven't "studied" it yet.

I give thanks to all the TV and social media stars for cluing everyone in on NM...

NM's draw system needs to do it by species so you compete with only others in the pool for that species, or even by unit, instead of doing a complete random and competing with other pools for other species. Doing it this way may just give you the opportunity to pull a tag more than once in a lifetime to hunt an average unit.

I don't think there were any hunts this year that were a 100% draw as 1st choice applicant, but then I haven't "studied" it yet.

I give thanks to all the TV and social media stars for cluing everyone in on NM...
I saw some NR archery deer hunts that are really easy to draw. Of course easy to draw tags are usually low success.

I saw some NR archery deer hunts that are really easy to draw. Of course easy to draw tags are usually low success.
Kind of like putting in and drawing for a private land only deer tag without contacting the landowner first.

But hey - you got a tag in your pocket!

I guess some of the 5A public land tags or "easy" to draw, they're just usually at the wrong time of the year...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom