2021 General Deer.

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
I'm going to switch up my general deer unit. Tags in the west are getting harder and harder to get. I want to pick a decent unit and stick with it for a while. I'm looking at Panguitch Lake, Pine Valley, Beaver, or Boulder. Of course the size of deer matters but I won't ask you guys about that. Other things I wonder about are what type of hunts are they. For example, are there lots of Roads, what type of terrain will you be hunting most likely on the early or second rifle season. Also, what opportunities are there for taking the family there in the summer camping fishing and looking for bucks. Here's what I'm looking for. An area that does not have a ton of Roads. Some roads are fine. However, I hunted the Monroe a couple years ago and way too many roads. Also, what units would be good to take the family in the summer fishing and camping looking for bucks. Are Pine Valley and some of those Southern units way too hot to go to in the summer for family camping? Ridgetops, I would love to talk to you if you have any experience on these units if you wouldn't mind. If I had to narrow it down to just two units I would probably say Pine Valley or Panguitch Lake as of now. The deer herds are almost at objective and they're looking to increase the objective. The boulder is down and they are looking to decrease the objective. I've heard the Beaver has taken an absolute nose dive. Maybe I'm missing some other units that should be on here, I don't know. PM if you would like to be more discreet. Thanks!

What's your definition of a decent unit? Personally I don't think there is a general deer unit left in the state that I would consider decent. I've noticed a big decline the last 3-5 years in all the general units that I've spent time on.

Feel free to disagree with me people, I'd love to hear different perspectives.

Hey deadi!

I Won't Disagree with You!

The General Deer Units here in NE Utah are in BIG Trouble!

Alot of People Thinking/Doing the Same thing:

"""Going to Jump Ship to a New/Better Unit!"""

Good Luck on that!

And schoolhouse wants to Hunt in TARDville where there Ain't No Roads!:D

I've been Looking for that Place all My Life!

When a 2 Point becomes Big & they Have,They'll Be Sportin Them around in their 200,000.00-300,000.00 dollar Rigs & Proud as Hell!

Hey schoolhouse!

This isn't to Start a DODGE/CHEVY/FORD Argument!

But I Often Think about This that I Think is Cute!

When You Lose Service You're Getting Close!:D

I know all General units are tough. However, I do believe some are better than others. A decent unit to me is the high possibility of seeing a 170+ buck every couple years of hunting and scouting.

The good news is every general unit produces that 170+ buck every few years. And some of the toughest units have the best bucks, but are very difficult. One unit I have tried in the past I know a guy that has a couple 200" from, I could never harvest a small 4 point. I gave up on that unit for now, but may try again in the future.

Summer fishing and camping is a bit tougher as you have so many people up north. Strawberry is awesome, but you will have a lot of company. Boulder mountain is great for camping and fishing and less people. Pine Valley really offers very little high elevation (cool at night) summer fishing, maybe gunlock? Quail Creek and Sand Hollow are fun for boating and UTV riding, but it is warm at night and I don't think those lakes are in the unit, just close. Manti unit is beautiful, lots of people. High uintahs have some great camping and fishing but lots of people.

Too often when I want to do a back pack fishing trip I find myself driving to Wyoming or Idaho. So have fun picking the unit, I think you can find a good deer on any of them, but it won't be easy, just rewarding.

I'm in the same boat. I didn't even hunt general season Utah this year. I picked the Dutton tag, but went to Moab with the wife instead.

I know there are 170 bucks in every unit. However, I do believe there's more in certain units. For example, me and my extended family have hunted the Ogden unit our whole lives. In the last 12 years between six or seven tag holders we have taken 3 bucks over 170. One of them is mine. It is rough country and there's a lot of private. I think there's better units out there.

I'm in the same boat. I didn't even hunt general season Utah this year. I picked the Dutton tag, but went to Moab with the wife instead.
I know wife time is important but man you missed an opportunity. Although it does take time to get to know most units in Utah.

Sure, it makes it more of a challenge but there's still a few good ones around. I know most units are struggling and I'm not against some tag cuts but to say that all the big bucks are good is a false statement.

Grizz, in my opinion just pick the unit that has the country you want to spend the most time in. The deer hunting will fluctuate up and down over the years. All the units in Utah can produce a big buck. I like the high country so that's what I stick with and I still find decent deer to hunt most years and on occasion a very nice buck.

Grizz, in my opinion just pick the unit that has the country you want to spend the most time in. The deer hunting will fluctuate up and down over the years. All the units in Utah can produce a big buck. I like the high country so that's what I stick with and I still find decent deer to hunt most years and on occasion a very nice buck.
I agree, that is what I am doing. I have picked a unit that allows me to pack in and stay in my seek outside tent with a wood burning stove. Should be an adventure!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom