2021 - NW Colorado 10 pts.

bodhi

Me and a buddy are going to cash in on our pts in 2021. Friends of ours have hunted one of the units and have helped us get started. However, looking into hearing "general" trends and suggestions from anyone with some knowledge. I know most units aren't what they were even a few years ago including the unit our buddy hunted.

Open to PM's if that works better. and please, I am not looking for spots at all. Just interested in discussing options for a guy with 10 pts.

Thanks in advance!
B

Are you a resident or NR? Are you looking to rifle hunt, archery hunt, or muzzle hunt....If rifle, which season? There are a lot of variables to the NW. Which units 201, 2, 10, 1 etc.

With a little more info you are more likely to get more helpful information.

400- Thanks for the reply.

NR, Rifle, 2nd or 3rd.
211, 11, 10, 21, 22, and 32 are what we're considering as of now.

Based on draw stats/odds..

10 is out as a NR with 10 points
you can draw 21 2nd season and should be good for the rest. I would look at 21 second season or 22 third season.

Best of luck to you.

It will take 2 more points than it normally does to draw a tag in 2021. So you better build in some slush room or you will be sorely disappointed.

Rich

Ive not hunted it but my uncle and grandpa hunted 21 around halloween time years ago otc and smashed some nice ones. I think people get tunnel vision on this unit for 3rd season but there seems to be enuff movement that im seeing some big boys coming from the second season there Im not supposed to say that but

I think if anyone is thinking of units 21, 22, 11.....needs to talk to someone who’s hunted them last year and knew what they were like just 4-5 years ago. It’s dismal!!!!

I think if anyone is thinking of units 21, 22, 11.....needs to talk to someone who’s hunted them last year and knew what they were like just 4-5 years ago. It’s dismal!!!!

yep, from what I'm reading and hearing, most units have followed this trend. Deer numbers and quality are down throughout the state. With the season and dates being pushed back 2021 and beyond, it's only going to get worse. its definitely a gamble but just not sure if there are better options for a DIY hunt with 10 pts.

I'd forget about burning 10 points on unit 11 , I hunted it last season and it's not worth 1 point.
I've hunted unit 10 the past 2 years, with a friend once and I had a tag last year, it is not what it was a few years ago but it is still a very good unit with some great bucks.

yep, from what I'm reading and hearing, most units have followed this trend. Deer numbers and quality are down throughout the state. With the season and dates being pushed back 2021 and beyond, it's only going to get worse. its definitely a gamble but just not sure if there are better options for a DIY hunt with 10 pts.

Are the 2021 actual season dates established yet?

Me and a buddy are going to cash in on our pts in 2021. Friends of ours have hunted one of the units and have helped us get started. However, looking into hearing "general" trends and suggestions from anyone with some knowledge. I know most units aren't what they were even a few years ago including the unit our buddy hunted.

Open to PM's if that works better. and please, I am not looking for spots at all. Just interested in discussing options for a guy with 10 pts.

Thanks in advance!
B

bodhi,

I'm in a similar situation as you. My hunting buddy and I just took his youngest daughter (24) and my two sons (24 & 22) on their first Western Big Game hunt in WY for Antelope. It was a great hunt and all tags were punched! They are now addicted to hunting out West.

We've been building CO MD points and we all have 10. We're strongly considering burning our points on a NR DIY MD hunt in CO next year.

I know the MD quantity/quality is down. But it is what it is. Me and my buddy aren't getting any younger.

I'll be following your thread.

Ramaha, just one guy's opinion, but I would not suggest having all of you burn your points in the same year. If you spread it out and have some people draw the first year and some people the next, you'll all get to go on twice as many hunts. I also think there's a certain amount of pressure that comes with burning 10 points and I would be hesitant to have that much pressure to try to fill a bunch of tags on one hunt. For example, my party of two each spent 7 points on a WY region G deer tag a couple years ago, packed in the night before the opener, then got totally snowed/fogged out and didn't really get a chance to give the hunt a fair effort. My biggest regret was not splitting that up into having one of us get a tag in each of two years, allowing both of us to experience that area twice.

Tkjwonta,

That’s an interesting perspective. I see it’s merit and thank you for sharing.

It’s very difficult to coordinate our schedules for a big hunt out West, and it’s a huge time and financial commitment for all. I’m sure my twenty something sons might find it hard to agree to going out West twice while only being able to hunt once though.

Thank you again for sharing.

Ramaha,

Yes, the west is very addicting. Glad you guys tagged out! And 10 years is a huge investment. But I'm realizing it's not the point total that's important but rather getting out as much as your budget allows. Of course, a boatload of points is always good and can get you into some good units. However, experiences are what it's about.

I do like Wonta's advice though. One thing to consider, if you don't all cash in your points for deer, OTC elk is also an option while one of you has a deer tag. That way your all hunting and it doesn't feel like a "waste" going.

I posted on another thread about my conversation with the Game Biologist and things appear to be looking up for western CO as their fawn crop has been good for 3-4 years in a row which should put some 4 yr. deer on the mountain and get back to what we all know Colorado to be. Hope this holds true!

B

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom