2021 Party Hunt Tag Return Changes

Nevadahunter

Just looked at Nevada's 2021 regulations and returning a tag in a party hunt was changed.

2021 Nevada.png

A great change, in my opinion. I think the department and the commission are doing an excellent job in addressing some of the concerns that come along with bonus point systems and the draw in general. Certainly there are still arguments that this doesn’t completely fix the entire issue that it was meant to address because someone can still utilize another applicants points for their own benefit; however, at least now BOTH applicants will revert to zero if one of two surrenders a tag. And, yes, I truly understand that sometimes unexpected things happen and this change may cause complications with that, especially when one applicant really wants to hunt, but this helps resolve the issue of an applicant who applies with someone who never has any intention to hunt and allows others to piggy back off of their points.

Last edited:
Good change, will improve the collecting of points by non hunters. They will have one more chance to cash out though.

Rich

this helps resolve the issue of an applicant who applies with someone who never has any intention to hunt and allows others to piggy back off of their points.

Agreed. This new rule was actually in their docket for the 2020 season but I guess they couldn't push it through in time.

My question actually comes on the first come first serve part. So any after the second draw, or tags without an eligible alternate. So does this include any tag within 14 days of the start of the hunt that is turned back will be a part of this program? I know a lot of tags went unused this way because within that window there was “ no eligible alternate”. I hope not. Id rather see a checkbox that says you are willing to accept a tag within that short time frame. I think itll be tough for the normal person to score one of those tags, as outfitters etc will be hitting refresh all the time on the site and scooping them all up.

My question actually comes on the first come first serve part. So any after the second draw, or tags without an eligible alternate. So does this include any tag within 14 days of the start of the hunt that is turned back will be a part of this program? I know a lot of tags went unused this way because within that window there was “ no eligible alternate”. I hope not. Id rather see a checkbox that says you are willing to accept a tag within that short time frame. I think itll be tough for the normal person to score one of those tags, as outfitters etc will be hitting refresh all the time on the site and scooping them all up.

There is a box you check, and within the guidelines of the return process, will automatically get issued to you if it is on your app.

The first come first served is for the tags which get returned and which have no pre accepted alternate, so they go on the open list so to speak. Very few tags.

There is a possibility that a tag could be returned prior to the start of the season and there is not enough time to re issue that tag, so it goes unused. (Someone turning a tag in during that 2 week time period. Not enough time to process the return, re issue the tag and mail it to the new person before the season starts )

There is also a 7 day window after the initial draw where you can decline your tag, and they go straight to the second draw pool.

Regarding another change this year. I am glad they set the draw order of the tags and have it clearly marked. Makes deciding what to apply for a lot easier.

There is a box you check, and within the guidelines of the return process, will automatically get issued to you if it is on your app.

The first come first served is for the tags which get returned and which have no pre accepted alternate, so they go on the open list so to speak. Very few tags.

There is a possibility that a tag could be returned prior to the start of the season and there is not enough time to re issue that tag, so it goes unused. (Someone turning a tag in during that 2 week time period. Not enough time to process the return, re issue the tag and mail it to the new person before the season starts )

There is also a 7 day window after the initial draw where you can decline your tag, and they go straight to the second draw pool.
Thanks. I only watched a portion of the commission meeting that brought this up. But part of the reason first come first serve was brought up was when Jack Robb talked about sheep tags being returned too close to the hunt and not being reissued, and giving people the opportunity to use those tags on short notice in a first come first serve. So that was part of that discussion. Was wondering if that was included.

mevertsen
Thanks for the post
Ddid you mean to say the tags declined within the first seven days go directly to the second round or or are they offered to alternates first before going into the second draw?
I do understand how the alternate system works and also I am aware of the seven day window just wasn’t clear where those seven day decline tags went? Thanks

mevertsen
Thanks for the post
Ddid you mean to say the tags declined within the first seven days go directly to the second round or or are they offered to alternates first before going into the second draw?
I do understand how the alternate system works and also I am aware of the seven day window just wasn’t clear where those seven day decline tags went? Thanks
I seem to recall last year several tags on the second draw list, like archery bull elk and a few others. I can't remember of there was a note indicating those tags were returned and had no alternate, but it seems there was something like that.

I imagine if the tag is returned immediately it would go to an alternate. Anything leftover would go to second draw.

I guess as I read it again I think I understand that you can draw elk and mule deer you are just limited to one of each species per season

We can’t draw a cow elk and antlered mule deer tag in the same season
You are reading it wrong.

Before, all applications were order we by draw number, with no preference to species.

You could apply for bull and cow elk last year, but only draw one. Same with desert bighorn ram and ewe.

It is possible your cow elk or ewe bighorn app would have a lower draw number, and if you drew one of those before your bull or ram tag was considered, it would eliminate the application for the bull or ram.

Now they just have the tag draw order set, so your bull and ram applications will be considered before your cow or ewe applications.

There are a total of 99 million draw numbers for all applications and species. Not 99 million draw numbers for each species.

I am happy that the Bull draw is now ahead of the cow draw.
Before I was applying for a Bull tag and cow points only because I didn’t want to hurt my chances of drawing a Bull tag.
Now my problem is what to do with all those cow points?

Before I was applying for a Bull tag and cow points only because I didn’t want to hurt my chances of drawing a Bull tag.
Same here.

So did they ever approve a reissue process for turn back tags? Or is it still the same process that they just go to waste?

I’m glad to see the change. Hopefully within a few years we will start to see a few folks draw that deserve a tag.

Me too J. NV has made some good changes to their already great system this year. The draw order is a one huge for me since I'm sitting on nearly 20 bull elk pts and would've hated to draw a cow tag over a bull tag!!

Great and prudent changes to the party hunting rules. Things will be just a little bit more fair from now on. Draw odds will likely suffer this year as all the party folks have one final hurrah at drawing their tags with granny. Looks like granny's finally going hunting.------SS

Great and prudent changes to the party hunting rules. Things will be just a little bit more fair from now on. Draw odds will likely suffer this year as all the party folks have one final hurrah at drawing their tags with granny. Looks like granny's finally going hunting.------SS
Yeah looking forward to the odds in 2-3 years and to see if it actually helps me in the units I like to apply for as a nr, I’m not sure there will be a huge odd change as a nr but I hope to move to Nevada one day and be a resident.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom