2021 Sportsman Deer Tag?

Elknut33

Wondering if anyone on here has any info if the 2021 Sportsman Deer tag has been filled yet? Hoping the hunter has had a blast on the hunt if they haven't killed .

It’s like a 40” buck I have pics, but can’t share them, the dudes a badass, just imagine a big ass 40” buck

Here ya go Marv.

Robb

Last edited:
Big Whiff I’m not talking waistline, Im talking Boone and Crockett, width, from your new avatar you look like your pushin 40” wide, maybe wider.

Could you disclose what unit he killed the deer on? I drew the 2022 Sportsman Deer tag and am starting research on where I need to focus. Most say, "just hunt the Henries during the rut". My opinion is there are great deer to be found in more areas than that.
Congrats! I don’t know where last years was harvested, but I would personally go to the pauns and at least take a look at the oak creeks. The henries seem like it’s been struggling recently.

Could you disclose what unit he killed the deer on? I drew the 2022 Sportsman Deer tag and am starting research on where I need to focus. Most say, "just hunt the Henries during the rut". My opinion is there are great deer to be found in more areas than that.

Holy crap! You've hit the lottery. I think it would be a huge mistake to focus just on one area, personally.

You should absolutely be spending time on the Pauns, Henry Mtns, and Oak Creek. There are giant deer in other places too, but if you can't find a deer you're happy with from August-January on any one of those units, then that deer probably doesn't exist, IMO.

This tag would be so intimidating to hold, but that is a great problem to have! Good luck, and I hope you share your experience with us next year.

I'd look plenty of other places. It's probably been a long time since the biggest buck killed in Utah in any given year came off the Henry's. It's just hit so dang hard. You're probably not looking for THE biggest, I just say that from an example standpoint.

I'd be in Oak Creek and Pauns and figure Henry's would get me a near-certainty of a good deer if it started getting late in the year and I was panicking.

Henry's during the rut with nobody else around would be so epic!

Last edited:
When's The Last time You've Been To The Henrie's during The Rut With Nobody-else Around?

JUDAS!

I'd look plenty of other places. It's probably been a long time since the biggest buck killed in Utah in any given year came off the Henry's. It's just hit so dang hard. You're probably not looking for THE biggest, I just say that from an example standpoint.

I'd be in Oak Creek and Pauns and figure Henry's would get me a near-certainty of a good deer if it started getting late in the year and I was panicking.

Henry's during the rut with nobody else around would be so epic!

Congrats on the tag!! That will be an awesome adventure. Be sure to come back and let us know how you did.

The sportsman deer has come off the oak creek the past 2 years. But yes I agree there are a lot more stones to turn over than just the oak creek unit if your looking for a magical 220-30+ buck
Pauns is still pumping out some giants year after year. After hunting the Henry’s this year on the rifle hunt I would say the Henry’s is no where near what it used to be. Mind you there are still some tremendous bucks taken each year off the Henry’s but it definitely is not what it once was!

It’s all cyclical. Henry Mtns may be down now, but the Pauns was down a bit while Henries were up. Now Pauns has bounced back some and Oak Creek is up. OC wasn’t always up like this and had been down too.

You should definitely trade elkass your tag so he can not go hunt on it.

JUST RAZZIN YA BESS!

KIND OF!

JUDAS!

The biggest deer (plural) in the state will come off GS units in 2022. The best chance (percentage) any individual hunter has at killing a giant deer will come from a LE unit.

Ever has it been, ever will it be.

PS if recent trends are to be used as evidence, areas to focus with a diy sportsman’s tag would be:

1. Fillmore oak creek
2. San Juan elk ridge
3. Pauns
4. Henry mtns.

2/3 are interchangeable given experience, and personal desire.

If you do the guided thing or just get connected with a mossback or WL type outfit, the connections they have will get you chasing the biggest deer the state has to offer.

The biggest deer (plural) in the state will come off GS units in 2022. The best chance (percentage) any individual hunter has at killing a giant deer will come from a LE unit.

Ever has it been, ever will it be.

PS if recent trends are to be used as evidence, areas to focus with a diy sportsman’s tag would be:

1. Fillmore oak creek
2. San Juan elk ridge
3. Pauns
4. Henry mtns.

2/3 are interchangeable given experience, and personal desire.

If you do the guided thing or just get connected with a mossback or WL type outfit, the connections they have will get you chasing the biggest deer the state has to offer.
You go with WL, you could end up on Antelope Island.

Well Beavis?

How Much Time You Spent on:

Oak Creek?

San Juan?

Pauns?

Henrie's Until a few Years ago?
Not enough ya goon. However, I might know a few guys who would be able to substantiate that. Tags like that go one of 2 ways, fella goes DIY, runs around the top 4 units in November and kills what’s left, or he/she hooks up with an outfitter, and they use their network to get it done on a giant.

How bout you? Bess you spent much time on the oaks? Or pauns? Or San Juan? Or Henry mtns?

Or are you gonna call up a buddy who knows someone and ask them what they think?

Been on all 4 of Them Beavis!

Had Never Been To Oak Creek Until This Year During The Rut!

2Lumpy AKA a Good Friend Of Mine Invited Me For a Day Cruising Around Oak Creek looking at Bucks!

I Couldn't Turn That Down!

Good To See Some New Country & See Some Bucks That Will Be Damn Nice Bucks if they Can Live a Couple More Years!

And A Big Thanks To Lumpy!

I've Also Spent Time on Diamond & The Book Cliffs as Well Beavis!

I Don't Need To Call up a Buddy For Info You're Looking for!

How Many LE Units You Been on this Fall Lil Beav?

And Don't Even Mention the Wasatch!:D

Not enough ya goon. However, I might know a few guys who would be able to substantiate that. Tags like that go one of 2 ways, fella goes DIY, runs around the top 4 units in November and kills what’s left, or he/she hooks up with an outfitter, and they use their network to get it done on a giant.

How bout you? Bess you spent much time on the oaks? Or pauns? Or San Juan? Or Henry mtns?

Or are you gonna call up a buddy who knows someone and ask them what they think?

Gonna Agree With Wiffy!

(((Did I Just Say That Wiffy?:D)))

I'd Damn Sure Be Hunting Just as Early As You Can!

Waiting till the Rut Now days May Not Garner You What You're Looking For!

When's The Last Time you Spent Any Time on The Henry's elknut?

I'll Throw Some Cash in on the Trade elknut?

You'll Still Be Able To Hunt all 3 Weaponry Hunts Here in the Land of the PISSCUTTERS!

The cream of the crop on OC was dead long before the rut started by regular tag holders. If it was me I wouldn't be waiting until the rut. Get the one you want killed before the muzzy hunts start.

If I had the Sportsman's tag it would most likely be filled Sept. 1st. if not earlier during Archery. Unless for some reason I couldn't find a giant before the season started. I'm not waiting around for the rut unless I couldn't find one pre season that I wanted to shoot. If that happened then it may be time to look at making some phone calls to some guides.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom