2021 Tag Quotas

So if a unit is offering 45 more buck tags for a season do we know how many of those will end up in the nonresident pool?

It looks like there was 7% chance with 0 points as a NR in 2020 and they reduced tags by 100 this year so I'd be looking real hard at a back-up hunt. I put in for a tag that was almost guaranteed with 3 points with 5 points. They added 45 tags to the season I applied for and I am in full scout mode on my back-up hunt.

According to CPW's numbers the population in 66/67 is higher than it was in 2007.

2007 pop 5330, 2021 pop 7840.
That just seems hard to believe? The stories I read and heard from the mid 2000's in the Basin are stuff of legend and recent reports seem to consist of a lot of "just needs a couple more years", "that damn full moon" and "just didn't get the weather we needed".

It's all BS and always will be ,and to even say the numbers are higher now is an absolute joke and these so called Bio guys do whatever the BOOK says might happen and anyone with a pencil and an eraser could make the numbers or flight survey counts do whatever you want them to and I bet not one of them have actually ever dealt with street smart sh.t when it comes to actually being out in the wild and seeing how few animals there actually are in some places. I would bet they couldn't tell the difference between bitterbrush and sagebrush if they were standing in the middle of both and not looking at a picture in a book and for anyone to even say that there is a overpopulation of Mule deer anywhere in the western states is a crime in itself! And now the doe hunts are going to kick in and why? Because they are worried about a potential bad winter in the future? Wow!!Really? Cuz that's how mother nature has managed it forever but hey let's just add a sh.t load of either sex licenses so when the harsh winter does come back we can get a double down and be back to crying about how the objectives are so far below where they want them! Jiminy Crickets man it's not rocket science!!!!!

Goods new for me - they increased the number of 3rd season tags by 10 (30%) for the unit I put in for. I may be hunting CO in mid-Nov. Of course, there's still the point creep issue . . .

Most of the biologists wanted to double the amount of tags in most areas. They think CWD is only carried by older bucks???

Looking at my point history they usually imported a point in the middle of may so thats obviously when they draw. Sucks they wait till the end of may or beginning of june to post the results

I think they voted on the final tag #'s this morning but the feed was down, anybody catch if it was for sure approved as written in the link that started this post?

55 3rd. season went from 80 tags to 100 tags. Third season in 66 and 67 gained ten tags each.
Did 66 and 67 each gain 45 in the 2nd season? I know that was the recommendation but I don't know what their final vote was?

You can go to the link at the top of this page and scroll down and the final tag allocations are available now.

You can go to the link at the top of this page and scroll down and the final tag allocations are available now.
That link is the final recommendation that was to be voted on by the commission this morning, are you saying the commission voted these numbers in as written in the link above? It sounds like it would be very rare for them not to but I still just want to know exactly how they voted.

I just heard on another forum that tag numbers were approved as proposed in the link above this morning.

I just heard on another forum that tag numbers were approved as proposed in the link above this morning.
I only caught the end, and that’s the way the motion they voted on sounded. I could have missed changes earlier, but pretty sure the motion was “as proposed.”

Hello to all. as everyone has tried to draft the next best player in the 2021 NFL Draft last week i think you as hunters you all are trying hard to find the next great hunt based on where and when to go and quotas and harvest and length of season and dates and so on and so on and and on and on.I believe from past exsperiences chasing point zones is really a big joke, it really really is. I mean 20+ points to chase 24'' bucks after 20 years of waiting is not only a shame in unit 2 but CO DOW should be ashamed that it is even allowed to stay on such a long list to draw when a 24'' buck is a great buck in that sh.t hole unit and yes I spent the whole season on Douglas where the bucks live and only saw one deer testing me in 9 days !what a shame my buddy killed a 25'' 4x5 sticker buck dark semi heavy that I see every year out in unit 13 and it makes me laugh and I love that everyone wants to run down south or on the plains when chasing these big 180+ deer in NW Colorado Can be hunted every couple of years with a 1 point tag on private ground.Give up on the points!!!Again i wanna see these Giants taken in the last few years from these draw wasting point units that you guys are wasting your time on?!!Post pics please.

Anyone like these 7 point muley's? my boys got in a unit you don't need a point to draw ?cuz I sure do!!! I could care less about the so called point creep or this and that in some units. I will produce these kind of bucks year in year out with no pp points!Been doing it since 1982.The first Buck is my 12 year old's 7x7 stud the other one ain't bad either.What I'm trying to say is get out and hunt look at units you can go every year or every 2 for sure.

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

Dandy bucks. Its great you have spots like that in units that don't require preference points. I'm not chasing a unit, I took a chance on a unit this year and if I draw I'll try to make the most of it, if I don't draw I'll find a unit next year that I can use what few points I have and hopefully start hunting more. I agree building points for decades in Colorado is not the best strategy.

I put in this year with 5 points but never intended to accumulate that many. I hunt MN, WY, IA and CO but only get to do 1 big hunt a year at this point in my life so I just choose the best hunt I think I can draw in one of those states. This year I felt like CO deer was the best I could do so here I am?‍♂️.

When I saw that there is a 24.7% decrease in buck tags for NW Co., I was worried about drawing for our planned hunt this fall. After scrolling way down, I found that for unit 3/301, 3rd season, there actually is an increase in tags from 980 to 1100, which should help us. However, for the unit 4 grouping, they drastically cut tags, 2nd season 1200 down to 300 and 3rd season 500 down to 250. Wow, I wonder why the disparity in neighboring units. Anybody have a clue?

When I saw that there is a 24.7% decrease in buck tags for NW Co., I was worried about drawing for our planned hunt this fall. After scrolling way down, I found that for unit 3/301, 3rd season, there actually is an increase in tags from 980 to 1100, which should help us. However, for the unit 4 grouping, they drastically cut tags, 2nd season 1200 down to 300 and 3rd season 500 down to 250. Wow, I wonder why the disparity in neighboring units. Anybody have a clue?
I saw that drastic cut as well. I have no deer history for those units but I will say that I hunted 1st season elk in unit 5 last year and saw very few deer. Mind you I was hunting elk but I would have hunted several of the same spots with a deer tag in my pocket.

4 cluster has been hammered past few years with high tag numbers.

Deer are few and far between in 4. Once first rifle elk goes off they're a lot like frog hair.

The move the CPW made has destroyed the deer in NW Colorado for the next 5-6 years. The only exceptions might be units where the Private land dominates and the outfitters are willing to be more selective.

Otherwise the goal of the CPW in NW Colorado is to kill all the mature bucks. 3, 4, 5, 13, 23,24, 11,211, etc. All are targets. Between the higher tag allotments and now the later season dates, the hunt quality in the NW will be back to the same quality of the early 90s where a basket 24" buck is a rare exception instead of the norm. The process will destroy the quality for at least 10 years. the 2-3 years of the high kill numbers, the next few years as the number of tags are not really cut despite, then the few young deer remaining will need 4-5 years to recover and mature. So from last year it will be 10 years before we start seeing decent buck quality again. Maybe longer depending on how long the CPW drags their feet and refuses to adjust tag quantities.

But dont worry we will be able to overall CWD positive rates from 3% to 2.7%....

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom