2021 - Where to Burn (10) NR Mule Deer Points in CO?

Ramaha

Hello All,

We have a group of five NR rifle hunters all looking to burn our (10) NR Deer Points in 2021. I have a GMU and season in mind already, but I wanted to this outside the box. So I'm asking for any advice from anybody who want to share it. We're not looking for GPS coordinates...just suggestions on a GMU & season if you were in our boots. Three (3) of our group are young hunters, this would be only their 2nd season hunting out West. Feel free to PM if you don't want to share your suggestions with the world.

Thanks to all. Stay healthy!

I would pick the unit with the best ratio of bucks for the young guys if diy. 21 comes to mind?
That's alot of tags to fill.
You could make a couple hunts happen with those points.

How young is young? How many total in the group?
I’m gonna say no younger than 22 if they have 10 points

Hard to say what unit for next year. Point creep is definitely gonna show it’s ugly face in a big way. If it were me, with that many guys trying to hunt, 3rd or 4th season would be where I’d focus

How young is young? How many total in the group?
We have five in our group. Me and my two sons (24 & 22), my hunting buddy and his daughter (24). We all hunted together a couple weeks ago in WY for Antelope and filled all of our tags. Now they want to hunt out West again. LOL.

Diy? If so I would definitely split the tags up and make two hunts, kids one year, and dads the next.
Its easy to fill tags with antelope, but a whole different ball game with deer!
Absolutely! And if the kids want to hunt with pops the following year, they could likely get a bull elk or cow tag....

5 tags... I’d look into a longer season, so 2nd or 3rd.

2nd season dates are basically historically 3rd season next year... so you could get a “better unit” with first shot at bucks during 2nd season. Just something to ponder.

next year will be a crapshoot... I would think all units will jump at least a couple points, so take that into consideration when applying.

Does everyone have 10 points in your party? Colorado uses the lowest number of points of any single individual if you apply as a group. Other states, like Wyoming, average preference points for the group.

Trying to predict drawing odds for 2021 is going to be more difficult than usual. Most high point units usually jump a point per year. This wasn't the case this year, some still went up, some stayed the same and some even went down. Some people believe that in 2021 some units will see a two point or more increase. It appears a lot of high point holders didn't attempt to draw this year due to the pandemic.

I know you don't want to burn your 10 points on a low point unit but I would be looking at hunts that took 5-8 points to draw in 2020. Of course the later hunts are usually better but with the season changes and second rifle dates being close to the old third season dates I wouldn't shy away from a second season hunt.

If you are looking at a hunt that took 9 or 10 points to draw in 2020 I wouldn't be scheduling my vacation yet.

Trying to predict drawing odds for 2021 is going to be more difficult than usual. Most high point units usually jump a point per year. This wasn't the case this year, some still went up, some stayed the same and some even went down. Some people believe that in 2021 some units will see a two point or more increase. It appears a lot of high point holders didn't attempt to draw this year due to the pandemic.

I know you don't want to burn your 10 points on a low point unit but I would be looking at hunts that took 5-8 points to draw in 2020. Of course the later hunts are usually better but with the season changes and second rifle dates being close to the old third season dates I wouldn't shy away from a second season hunt.

If you are looking at a hunt that took 9 or 10 points to draw in 2020 I wouldn't be scheduling my vacation yet.

Wvhunter,

I think you are spot on, and I totally agree with your logic I'm considering at a Unit that took 7 points last year, thinking if it jumps 2 points this year we are in. But if it jumps 3 points we might only have a 50/50 chance of drawing.

Absolutely! And if the kids want to hunt with pops the following year, they could likely get a bull elk or cow tag....

You and Junior both have an interested suggestion. I'll have to share this with my hunting buddy to see what he thinks about it.

Maybe he and I should go the first year to hunt/scout, then take the kids the next year after we're more familiar with the unit. Just a thought.

We did the same deal with our elk points, with the old guys hunting first. We got the kids general deer tags so they could hunt. Thankfully we did, as we later found out there was several better elk units for the kids.
Long story short, don't waste those points.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom