2023-2024 Application and Season Guidebook posted

BroadHead

Several new hunts added across the board for almost all species: https://www.eregulations.com/assets/docs/resources/NV/23NVBG_LR.pdf

For those interested in changes to FCFS. Here's a blurb:

First Come, First Served:
First Come, First Served tags will now remain available for purchase only to the originally awarded residency as determined by the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commission in 2022.

Updates on Elk:

A new depredation bull hunt with antler point restrictions in Unit 231. This new hunt includes a special hunt boundary focusing pressure on bulls frequenting agricultural areas in Lake Valley.

Successful applicants will receive a letter with special instructions and hunt map before their season begins. Archery bull hunts during the rut (Sept. 17 - Sept. 30) are now offered in Units 161-164, 171-173 and Units 241, 242. Wilderness only antlerless elk hunts are not offered for the 2023-2024 Big Game Hunting Season. Applicants can expect a commensurate increase in available tags during standard antlerless elk seasons which include wilderness areas.

Alternates
Alternates will now be awarded tags up until 14 calendar days before the hunt season opens. (NAC 502.421/CGR 490)

For the Junior mule deer hunters (this one is important):
Junior mule deer hunts are now antlered only hunts except for the following unit groups 061, 062, 064, 066-068; 071- 079, 091; and 101-109 that are either antlerless or antlered.

Last edited:
FINALLY!!!
Kudos to the Wildlife Commission for listening and making the changes. I really thought it might take another year to get it done.---SS
Oh YA!.png

Last edited:
I agree a few less guy’s crying. But they will just find something else to Moan about.
I’m just glad the division stopped all the tag abuse and gotten rid of most of the games. Lose little scams seem to be long gone.

As a non resident who took full advantage of the FCFS the past few years, I hate to see the change, but having said that, it is probably the right decision, and if I was a resident I would have pushed for it also. Glad I got a chance to hunt a few hunts that I never would have drawn in my life. Not sure it will even be worth watching the FCFS for me now. I would sure like to know how many non-residents turned tags in last year. I would think very few. On some of the units there are not many tags to turn back in.

Finally common sense on fcfs. Good to see that the does won't take such an impact from junior hunters, it's about getting the opportunity to hunt.

So what was the previous limitation as to how long before start of season alternate tags could be awarded? I saw it changed to 14 days prior now.
Could affect how many FCFS tags will be available.

As a non resident who took full advantage of the FCFS the past few years, I hate to see the change, but having said that, it is probably the right decision, and if I was a resident I would have pushed for it also. Glad I got a chance to hunt a few hunts that I never would have drawn in my life. Not sure it will even be worth watching the FCFS for me now. I would sure like to know how many non-residents turned tags in last year. I would think very few. On some of the units there are not many tags to turn back in.
I got a really good deer tag last year that was turned in by a NR. Although there are a lot less NR tags, I would suspect that the return rate is much greater than for residents. The tag I got had 2 NR tags. I'd still watch if you're looking for a good hunt. Probably still better than some draw odds.--------SS

I got a really good deer tag last year that was turned in by a NR. Although there are a lot less NR tags, I would suspect that the return rate is much greater than for residents. The tag I got had 2 NR tags. I'd still watch if you're looking for a good hunt. Probably still better than some draw odds.--------SS
How do you know it was turned in by a non-resident? Just curious.

I could be wrong but I seriously doubt more
Non residents turn in tags than non residents.
Doubt it sheer number wise but percentage wise it would not surprise me that a higher percent of non residents who draw a tag return it than a percentage of residents who draw and return it. It can be a big commitment especially in this economy

Ya could be possible.
Doesn’t seem to be holding back the Auction tag crowd that’s for sure.I wonder how long FCFS will last down the road.I can see possibly it drying up.

Was anything mentioned about the single horn desert sheep hunts being offered to NR as well as a Mtn goat tag going to the NR pool ?

Was anything mentioned about the single horn desert sheep hunts being offered to NR as well as a Mtn goat tag going to the NR pool ?
There will be an NR Mtn Goat tag in 102. But the Sheep management one-horn tags are still R only.

I agree with the fcfs change but I don't like it simply because there will be far less tags turned back in by NR's and I am an NR. I'll have to be that much quicker on the draw and see much less in ways of returned tags.

I just wish all jr hunts were buck only
Copied and pasted from page nine of the 2023-2024 big game regs...

Mule Deer
Junior mule deer hunts are now antlered
only hunts except for the following unit
groups 061, 062, 064, 066-068; 071-
079, 091; and 101-109 that are either
antlerless or antlered.

Copied and pasted from page nine of the 2023-2024 big game regs...

Mule Deer
Junior mule deer hunts are now antlered
only hunts except for the following unit
groups 061, 062, 064, 066-068; 071-
079, 091; and 101-109 that are either
antlerless or antlered.
That’s a pretty big area , wish it was bucks only

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom